Any information on E.F. Payne

History of the E.F. Payne Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Payne Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

AK Troutbum
Guide

Post by AK Troutbum »

Hello, I picked up a, what I believe to be older, 9 1/2' Payne 3/1 rod a while back and I was just wondering if anybody on the forum could give me some more information on this rod. It weighs exactly 6 oz., on my scale, has some kind of a little triangular design with the numbers 1927 etched into the reel seat (at the end of the rod) and it also reads E.F. Payne Rod E.F. Payne Rod Co makers at the top of the reel seat then opposite of that (other side of the reel seat), it reads sold by Von Lengerke & Antoine Chicago. The reel seat itself is very interesting, as I've never seen one like it before, down sliding band as pictured.ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by AK Troutbum on 03/14/17 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Re: Any information on E.F. Payne

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Boy, it's sure good to see another what is called a "jam fit" reel seat. Theres a couple of us (3) with that style seat. I had started a guestionair 2 years ago, had little response, pretty rare, there's next to no info on them. Your date really help's a lot , some were thinking early 1930's. That's a design that John Landman and Jim payne had worked on together. Look in "collecting bamboo fly rods under "early e.f.payne fly rod".
My is 9' 3/2 5/6 wt. # 206. Hope that help's. Nice rare rod!
Ken
P.S. Please add your's to my posting, it will surely help other's. I would think the initials are the proud owner's, with date of purchase . To cool! Cast's like a dream!
Do you have sock and tube?
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

AK Troutbum
Guide

Post by AK Troutbum »

N.Z.TROUT wrote:Boy, it's sure good to see another what is called a "jam fit" reel seat. Theres a couple of us (3) with that style seat. I had started a guestionair 2 years ago, had little response, pretty rare, there's next to no info on them. Your date really help's a lot , some were thinking early 1930's. That's a design that John Landman and Jim payne had worked on together. Look in "collecting bamboo fly rods under "early e.f.payne fly rod".
My is 9' 3/2 5/6 wt. # 206. Hope that help's. Nice rare rod!
Ken
P.S. Please add your's to my posting, it will surely help other's. I would think the initials are the proud owner's, with date of purchase . To cool! Cast's like a dream!
Do you have sock and tube?
Thanks so much for your help again. To answer some of the other questions in your PM. Unfortunately, no I don't have the original tube and although the sock may be original I suspect that it probably isn't either, although it's definitely old. Here are a few more photos and a drawing of the little inscription/insignia on the reel seat. I was really hoping that maybe this rod was originally just made with one tip but I suspect that's not the case either. Any idea on the model Number? I have put it together but have never put a real on it so I have no idea what wt. it is. Again, it's 9 1/2' in length. Also, do you have a link to the questionnaire that you started?
Thanks again, truly appreciated.

Greg
ImageImage

AK Troutbum
Guide

Post by AK Troutbum »

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Hey Gregg, i don't know how to post link, but look in -collecting bamboo fly rods- then in search - early e.f. payne / jam fit reel seat. In the mean time i'll try and figure link out.Thanks for your response, fire arm's, fly rod's and reels, i totally understand. It's probably a good chance your rod was built in 1926 and sold 1927? But thank's to you, and your rod, we know the jam fit reel seat was in the 20's and not 30's, pretty cool.
P.S. What's the weight?
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

AK Troutbum
Guide

Post by AK Troutbum »

N.Z.TROUT wrote:Hey Gregg, i don't know how to post link, but look in -collecting bamboo fly rods- then in search - early e.f. payne / jam fit reel seat. In the mean time i'll try and figure link out.Thanks for your response, fire arm's, fly rod's and reels, i totally understand. It's probably a good chance your rod was built in 1926 and sold 1927? But thank's to you, and your rod, we know the jam fit reel seat was in the 20's and not 30's, pretty cool.
P.S. What's the weight?

I don't know what weight it is, as I have never strung it up. I have put it together though and wiggled it a little.Image I think this year, when the snow melts, I will try out several different weight lines with it and try to figure out what works best. That's going to be a few months though I figure, as we still have about 3 feet of snow in the yard, and Mar.-Apr. typically are our bigger snow months.

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

As far as weight is concerned, what's your weight of the rod, not line size. Rod's weight help's in identifying model #. My 206 is 4 3/4 oz.
Your sock, bag look's correct to me, it being a 2 tip sectioned sock, i think your right about a 2 tip rod.
I have just noticed that even though or reel seat's are very similar, there is a difference. Mine has a soldered but cap, your's has just the reel foot tongue, or what ever it's called.
I would think that show's your being older, very interesting! What else can be learned from our difference's?
KenImageImageImage
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

AK Troutbum
Guide

Post by AK Troutbum »

The wt. is exactly 6 oz. on my digital scale, which is a very accurate scale. 9'6" rod. Yes Ken you are correct about the differences in our reel seats.

Greg

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Here is a link to the earlier discussion of a spiral locking reel seat on a Payne rod:

Early E.F. Payne, jam fit reel seat
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

AK Troutbum
Guide

Post by AK Troutbum »

Thank you quashnet for the link. I may be doing the same thing Ken did and send this rod off for a refinish.

N.Z.TROUT
Guide

Post by N.Z.TROUT »

Thank you quashnet, I'am helpless when it come's to all the fancy stuff these box's will do. Much appreciated. Ken

By the way troutbum, the first name that came to mind looking at the art work of initials was------ Tom Mix !!! Who know's.
I just found out my new/old 1940 Dickerson belonged to a golf pro back in the 20', 30's in Michigan.
Thank you for suppling one more piece to the puzzle .
I am haunted by water's.
Norman Maclean

Return to “E.F. Payne Rod Co.”