ATH Traun F1 Reverisible Retrieve?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

fishrising
Guide

ATH Traun F1 Reverisible Retrieve?

Post by fishrising »

Anyone know if the ATH Traun F1 can be easily changed from left hand retrieve to right hand? Google isn't helping me much. Sorry I neglected to get a pic of the shaft and gearing mechanisms.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: ATH Traun F1 Reverisible Retrieve?

Post by Webfly »

The only way to change direction on these Hart reels is to replace the complete drag system. You may want to contact Bill Archuleta to see if he has anything available. I have always wondered if you could flip the one way needle bearings in the other direction, but have never heard that you can and I have never tried. These reels take special tools to work on, and my favorite local fly shop has them, but I have never experimented.

I found this: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=13816
Last edited by Webfly on 04/02/17 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

There is no simple switch for your reel. You have to switch the bearing housing which means to you need find one for the opposite retrieve. I would contact Bill Archuleta as stated above.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Speaking of flipping the one way needle bearings, does anybody know why this cannot be done? I have had an S3 and a Streamline (same drag) apart, and was wondering this. By the way, I'm here to say, never use an Ari Hart or Streamline in the salt, they are just not sealed well enough to withstand the corrosive properties of the salt water. I'll include the "S" (salt) series, but not sure about the Stu Apte series. Hopefully they are made differently.

fishrising
Guide

Post by fishrising »

Thanks guys, saw this reel at a local fly shop, $275. But wrong retrieve, probably not worth my effort to reverse. If anyone is a left hand retrieve and is interested here is a link:

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/orvis-at ... condition/

JR SPEY
Guide

Post by JR SPEY »

As noted, to do the conversion the one-way bearing must be flipped in its housing, sometimes referred to as Lincoln's hat. I've done quite a few conversions over the years. My experience is that about 10% of the time the bearing can be pushed out with the fingers and thumb. It is simply pressed in and holds with friction. It also can be tapped out gently with a jig and a light mallet. I never had the stomach to do that but I know it can be done and I've done it on other reels of similar design. Another name to consider, especially if Arch can't help you, is the long time distributor of ATH products, Jeff Bowen of ATH/Design. I just talked to Jeff very recently and he said he still has most parts for the various ATH reels and will do what he can, including conversions, at a reasonable fee for as long as the parts hold out. You can reach Jeff at 505.577.7757. He is in New Mexico.

On another note from above, the ATH/Stu Apte models are completely different internally. They do not have one-way bearings and, in fact, are quite similar to the Seamaster/FinNor, Abel, etc. design. However, unlike most of those the Apte's can be converted without much effort.

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

fishrising wrote:Thanks guys, saw this reel at a local fly shop, $275. But wrong retrieve, probably not worth my effort to reverse. If anyone is a left hand retrieve and is interested here is a link:

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/orvis-at ... condition/
That was quick, out of stock.

Return to “Classic Reels”