Looking for a Pezon et Michel Rod and Reel Appraisal

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Motley88

Looking for a Pezon et Michel Rod and Reel Appraisal

Post by Motley88 »

Hello,

I am attempting to help out a friend of mine who recently lost her husband. He was mainly a dealer of high end firearms but had an eye for many, many things of fine quality. Two of those things are a Pezon et Michel rod and reel. I am not an expert in this area by any means and would appreciate any help you can give me to identify the value of what she has. I will do my best to identify both as thoroughly as possible.

The rod is a Pezon et Michel that has three pieces total, one base and two tips. Both tips are the same length, approximately 51 3/4 inches long. The base 52 1/2 with the "stopper" on it and a little less than 45 inches without it. There is writing on the rod, some I can identify, some I can not. So if I misspell something, forgive me.

"Pezone et Michel - Made in France - Super Parabolic (with a symbol after that resembles #P) - Speedcast II . Gyre Riccordi - 7' 11" 1/2 4.42 m - 116 Jrs - 4 1/8 oz #5 /6"

There is also a "54" written just above the cork handle of the base piece. The first rod tip as a "1" and "54" written near the base. The second rod tip has a "2" and a "54" written near it's base.

All three pieces of the rod are in a compartmentalized red nylon sack with a drawstring and then the sack is stored in a Pezon et Michel aluminum case with a screw on lid. It has a label with the following information on it. "Model: Sup. Royal Length: 7' 9 Weight:4 1/8 Line:#5 Serial No. Blank" Everything matches the rod except the length....7'11 vs. 7'9".

Once again, I'm not an expert but I do not believe this rod has ever been used. If it has, it sure wasn't much. To me, all three pieces look to be near mint condition. None of the eyelets appear to be bent or missing, the varnish on the rod shines like new with no scratches that I can see The cork handle is in excellent shape with no nicks or chunks taken out of it.

The reel is a Pezon et Michel still in the case and box it was shipped in. It is labeled Superparbolic Flyreel "76". The reel itself is what I would call a metallic dark brown. I believe it also is brand new and has never been used. No line is installed on it nor does it look like it ever has been.

I have described everything as best as I know how. If you need any other information, please let me know. As mentioned earlier, any help identifying this combo's value would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

chestatee
Master Guide

Re: Looking for a Pezon et Michel Rod and Reel Appraisal

Post by chestatee »

Pictures would be a big help. Our opinions on condition vary greatly. My 'excellent' and your 'mint' could be miles apart in understanding.

The reel:
There a few available on the web. $450 or so for one in excellent/mint condition currently available through dealers. Another sold on the big auction site at an undisclosed price. Mint with case and seller was asking over $600.00 - best offer sale. The reels are scarce, but don't seem to fetch anything above those numbers. Limited demand I assume.

The rod:
Condition is everything. Pictures are quite important.
That is a rare rod/model.
The rod could fetch up to $1,000.00 (or more). It must be in excellent/unused order. No repairs, no scratches, scuffs, dry or frayed wraps, bent tips (sets), etc. Any of these concerns can drop the value significantly. We'll assume the bag is correct and 'as new' like the rod; the tube from another rod as you suggested.

That's dealer retail I am estimating.

Selling privately I shoot for 75% of these retail numbers or a bit more for items 'in demand'.

If the rod is in lightly fished condition, without much more than a lightly soiled cork handle, the price is likely closer to $800+.

Ref:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ppotocco/Pezo ... storia.htm

The model you have there should be a Pezon et Michel Speedcast II type RICCARDI Super PPP.

Cheers and good luck.

Doug

Motley88

Post by Motley88 »

Thank you to those who have already replied. I apologize for not having pictures up yet, the rod and reel are still at the woman's house that owns it. I will pick it up as soon as my schedule will allow and get some pictures posted. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you!

Motley88

Post by Motley88 »

Here are the pictures....of course the day I take them it is completely overcast, but hopefully you can get an idea of what we have. I took a few inside under the light as well. I did put the rod together and measured it again. From tip to tip it is right at 7 feet 11 3/4 inches long. If you need any different pics, just let me know.
Thank you for your time!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Motley88 on 04/11/17 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Outstanding condition from what I can see. You should see $450-500+ on the reel with a dealer, possibly $100 more.
The rod having the wrong tube is unfortunate, but I think $1k is still reasonable.

Those are dealer retail estimates.

Very nice!

Doug

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Problem with P&M rods is that it is a very 'unAmerican' type of rod.
So only interesting for a few who appreciate the typical action and certainly the cosmetics of a P&M.

I think the rod is more in the $700-800 range.
The reel in the $200-250 range.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

It's one hell of a P&M rod, should set the parabolic fans to drooling. They make the Young tapers look tame in comparison. Amazing casting rods once you learn the feel of them. And the reel is one of P&Ms better efforts, made for them by Hardy.

That said, the market is small, and even Ibookje's estimate may be optimistic for the rod. You never know, though!

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

No disagreement with the comments above; in addition, some say that these rods fetch a better price in the U.K. or Europe than in the USA. So it might help to connect with those markets.

Marc REEB

Post by Marc REEB »

Hi Motley88,
I’m very interested in your P&M rod&reel...
I could offer you a very good price for both if they are still for sale...
Marc

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Unfortunately this post was made 4 years ago and the rod/reel are probably long gone.

Marc REEB

Post by Marc REEB »

Thanks you very much for your answer, Webfly...
Do anybody have any news from Motley88,
Thanks for any hint..
Marc

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”