Photos of "Classic" Fly Fishing Gear

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: Photos of "Classic" Fly Fishing Gear

Post by 60InchDV8 »

60InchDV8 wrote:
03/08/22 21:00
Spring has finally arrived here in South Western Ontario after a long winter that encased all our Great Lakes tributaries in ice. I’m getting a Steelhead outfit ready for next weeks balmy 40 F thaw. Here is a Sharpes 10 foot spliced cane 7 wt. paired with a Hardy St John JS made spitfire reel with a silk Mosley TT line. I use a Brady canvas and wicker creel to carry my gear and also serve as a rod arm rest for greased lining. My vintage and full dressed classic Dee flies are carried in this Malloch japanned three leaf salmon fly box.
A second outfit, a Sharpes 12 foot spliced cane Scotty 8 wt. spey rod, armed with a Young 4 inch contracted Perfect style salmon reel with an oiled vintage Hardy Corona silk line for Far and Fine Off subsurface presentations. A Farlow hinged fly reservoir and a Hardy Neruda tube fly case contain a variety of flies for subsurface harling.
Regards from the wintery Niagara....Jim

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I like your photos Jim, you have interesting tackle.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Been eyeing one of those Walking Stick Seats myself.

I am intrigued by the middle piece in the bottom photo Jim. What is that ?
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

I think you’re referring to the Sharpes impregnated water proofed split cane wading staff with a thumb grip handle and a weighted tip with a rubber cushion.The design keeps the tapered cane staff in an erect hands free position while on the bottom in the rivers currents, secured to the angler with the attached lanyard, and in a readily available position. The staff can also be used as a shooting stick or a monopod for a camera, or a spotting scope.
Regards....Jim

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

What a fantastic piece Jim - such dual purpose... tri purpose...

And Mike - that dirty dozen of Orvis reels brings me such joy.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

A few for your viewing pleasure...

Kevin

The House of Hardy

A greenheart pack rod and reel

Chubb and Orvis, together again...

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Congrats Kevin....that is an exquisite assembly of tackle. Pls give us some info on these lovely trout wands and reels. Do you fish with these greenheart rods and tackle?
Regards from Canada....Jim

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

OK, since you asked Jim...

1. Hardy 7' 9" greenheart rod recently acquired from a forum member, with a Hardy 3 1/8" Perfect reel in the leather case, adorned with a silk line.
2. Unmarked 4-piece 8' greenheart travel rod and unmarked brass reel. The net is the Barnes Foldable Net, patented in 1908.
3. Chubb 9-piece lancewood valise rod with drop rings, circa 1885, also recently obtained from another forum member. The reel is one of the 1992 Orvis reproductions of the original 1874 Orvis fly reel.

And yes, I fish #1 and 2. The Chubb is too much of a treasure to use.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

A big brown taken on a Bob Maulucci quad and Ballan Reel. Little Lehigh, 03/13/2022.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

A wonderful casting 4/5 weight, 8-1/2' FET Special with the "22" butt cap stamp. With an old JW Young "St George" style reel. If anyone is interested, more photos can be found at my instagram site

@dryflyphotography

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

A few items to play with while I wait for the season to begin.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

para_adams wrote:
03/17/22 23:15
A wonderful casting 4/5 weight, 8-1/2' FET Special with the "22" butt cap stamp. With an old JW Young "St George" style reel. If anyone is interested, more photos can be found at my instagram site

@dryflyphotography

hello, p-adams. that is a fine image of gear; and i really admire the folkart wraps on the butt of your no.22 f e thomas rod.

regards, jim w

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Looks like a sweet day, Munsey!

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Fish Pond Store Advertisement (canvas poster)

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

60InchDV8 wrote:
Spring has finally arrived here in South Western Ontario after a long winter that encased all our Great Lakes tributaries in ice. I’m getting a Steelhead outfit ready for next weeks balmy 40 F thaw. Here is a Sharpes 10 foot spliced cane 7 wt. paired with a Hardy St John JS made spitfire reel with a silk Mosley TT line. I use a Brady canvas and wicker creel to carry my gear and also serve as a rod arm rest for greased lining. My vintage and full dressed classic Dee flies are carried in this Malloch japanned three leaf salmon fly box.
A second outfit, a Sharpes 12 foot spliced cane Scotty 8 wt. spey rod, armed with a Young 4 inch contracted Perfect style salmon reel with an oiled vintage Hardy Corona silk line for Far and Fine Off subsurface presentations. A Farlow hinged fly reservoir and a Hardy Neruda tube fly case contain a variety of flies for subsurface harling.
Man, I've got to give it to you; you've got style! That's the finest looking steelhead setup I've ever seen.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

60InchDV8 wrote:
Spring has finally arrived here in South Western Ontario after a long winter that encased all our Great Lakes tributaries in ice. I’m getting a Steelhead outfit ready for next weeks balmy 40 F thaw. Here is a Sharpes 10 foot spliced cane 7 wt. paired with a Hardy St John JS made spitfire reel with a silk Moxon TT line. I use a Brady canvas and wicker creel to carry my gear and also serve as a rod arm rest for greased lining. My vintage and full dressed classic Dee flies are carried in this Malloch japanned three leaf salmon fly box.
[/quote

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Thanks....fishing with vintage tackle adds to the pleasure of a day on the river, especially when the trout aren’t cooperative and the conditions are challenging.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Photos of

Post by prairieschooner »

Bud wrote:
03/20/22 07:19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're speaking my language!
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”