one rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

poolhopping1
Guide

one rod

Post by poolhopping1 »

is there one rod you would not part with? it doesn't have to be a high end. just one that you have a special place for. mine is a 8642 granger champion. both tips down by 1 and 3 inches but it still casts fine for me. when I got it all sections were delaminated to varying degrees. thanks to the advice from folks on the forum here I managed to put it back into fishing shape. in hindsight I should have tried to restore it to original but didn't . it still is my go to rod in most situations and I always come back to it. cris

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: one rod

Post by paxlev »

I am sure a number of us have one or two of these rods. Not many though; as there are few rods that I don't think I could part with for the right reasons. And, I have, over my short time collecting and fishing bamboo rods, sold or traded off quite a few. Mine is a 7'6" 2/2 Gillum. Gillum's expression of a Payne 100. And, better. A move lively tip section. Better cosmetics, which is hard to say, but they are ... This was a personal rod of Douglas Duck. Not sure how he came about the rod. He didn't trust his own ability to restore this rod, so he asked John Bradford to do it. And, it is perfect. Pinky would have liked John. Both perfectionists. The serial number is serial number 539. One number earlier than the 7'6" 2/2 that Martin Keane says, at page 117, was "My favorite, a little 71/2 footer, 3 5/8ths ounce beauty ... I have never had the nerve, yet, to take this rod fishing. I have only enjoyed it on my lawn, under a safe canopy of tall cottonwoods, and boy does it love a Wulff 5 tt line. This is mine. The rest are always sellable, but this will be the rod that I take to my .... well, you all know, right? Ric

cutthroattroutnm
Master Guide

Post by cutthroattroutnm »

Conflicted between my Jack Howell 7613 and the 8014 Guide made for me by doloresboy (Matt Dougherty). The Howell is sublime but the Dougherty is the master of all domains.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Mine is an 8' 3" five weight by Dave Norling. Knowing and having fished with Dave and his son makes the rod special. And it is a very nice rod to fish. A true gem.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

The 1957 Orvis Deluxe pictured in my avatar. Custom Orvis grip, 6'6" 2/2.
There is a sister 7'6" Deluxe somewhere out there, and I have been looking for it to surface (again). This was my first cane rod.

John :pipe

spundun
Sport

Post by spundun »

For me , Bob Summers 735 . It does everything except cast itself.

Squaw Bend

Post by Squaw Bend »

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Mine is a 1961 6.5' Orvis Deluxe.

jhusky, what was the serial number of the 7'6" Deluxe sister rod that you are looking for?

slate river
Master Guide

Post by slate river »

For me it would have to be without question an 8' 3/2 5wt. based on a Heddon 1 3/4F taper made for me by Matt Dougherty (Doloresboy here on the Forum). Matt dressed the rod out for me in stunning Heddon #20 colors with red wraps tipped yellow. Just a smooth all around "do everything" rod. He in-scripted on the rod with the phrase "Once Upon A Time In Colorado" in remembrance of all the great days fishing together we have had and will continue to have in the beautiful Colorado Rockies.
"God made dogs to steal our hearts and they do."

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

headwaters wrote:Mine is a 1961 6.5' Orvis Deluxe.

jhusky, what was the serial number of the 7'6" Deluxe sister rod that you are looking for?
Not sure, but it had the same custom handle hammer grip that my 6'6" has. It was on the classifieds here maybe three years ago and had no money to buy it at that time. Still kicking myself for not finding a way to buy it. If you have a lead it would be much appreciated headwaters!

John

Looked like this...

Last edited by jhuskey on 06/12/17 09:58, edited 2 times in total.

xvigauge
Guide

Post by xvigauge »

The one rod I would not part with is a Mike Shay 7 1/2' for a 4 wt. Mike made the blank and I finished it out by making the grip from cork rings and wrapping the line guides.
Joe

Prairie Drifter
Guide

Post by Prairie Drifter »

Mine is a Leonard 35 7' 4wt 3pc w/ a slightly swelled butt. My dad got me this rod from Marty Keane back in the 80's when we used to fish w/ him.
North American & National Champion Taxidermist
Specializing in "Catch and Release" fish mounts

Custom Bamboo & fiberglass Rods

http://www.prairiedrifter.com

Big Sky Dave
Guide

Post by Big Sky Dave »

A crisp 7' 4-5 Sharpes. Best day - 38 on Silver Creek. First day - a brown, a rainbow, a brookie, a cut, and cut/bow all in a quarter mile on a tiny creek I'd driven over for 25 years going to work but never fished -duh!

Great rod for precise casts.

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Don't want to pile on because comraderi is way overrated butI too would not part with a 7 1/2 ' Heddon 1 1/2 ferrule clone that Matt built for me. Great guy, great rod.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Mine is a sweet casting Phillipson 8' HEH. Handed it to someone to try last week and their reaction was "now that's what a bamboo rod is supposed to feel like."

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Mine is an Orvis Midge in the very uncommon 7.5' 3/2 configuration. Much more medium action then the 2/2 version(which I also have). It fishes a 5WF Peach just fine. It took me around 10 years to find this rod. For most of the streams I fish in NJ and eastern PA. this is the perfect rod day in and day out.

The other is an Orvis Golden Eagle 7.5' 6wt that my parents gave me when I graduated from college in 1975. At over $100 it was a stretch for them at that time and I fished it exclusively for around 2 years until I got a good job and could afford other, but not necessarily, better tackle. It's been in my rod collection ever since and still gets fished off and on.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Is the 2/2 faster or slower?

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

NO! My number is closer to a dozen. Guess I inherited the hoarder gene. Recent never sell rods include a Sharpes 6' featherweight, 7' featherweight, and 8' featherweight all excellent casting impregnated rods, for the rainy season and highly underrated IMO, a 7'6" Orvis Midge, a 8' Rapidan just back from Michael Sinclair and the list goes on...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

middlecalf
Guide

Post by middlecalf »

Mine is unnamed, not because I don't know what it is, but because it doesn't matter. What matters is that it was my grandfathers, and I now I have it. It's run-of-the-mill in the hierarchy of bamboo rods but it still fishes and even brings a fish to hand as I remember it did with my grandfather. And with the fairly recent passing of my father and mother I now also have the reel (same brand) that grandfather used, and I caught several rainbows and a good sized brown trout in Colorado a few weeks ago with my brothers. Everything else could go, but this one's staying.
Internet Scientist

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

middlecalf wrote:Mine is unnamed, not because I don't know what it is, but because it doesn't matter. What matters is that it was my grandfathers, and I now I have it. It's run-of-the-mill in the hierarchy of bamboo rods but it still fishes and even brings a fish to hand as I remember it did with my grandfather. And with the fairly recent passing of my father and mother I now also have the reel (same brand) that grandfather used, and I caught several rainbows and a good sized brown trout in Colorado a few weeks ago with my brothers. Everything else could go, but this one's staying.
IMHO, it does not get any better than that, middlecalf! Great rod! (and reel!)

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”