one rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: one rod

Post by fisherman911 »

jhuskey wrote:Is the 2/2 faster or slower?
The 2/2 is slower

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks fisherman911!

durangofly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by durangofly »

I have several I would never part with because they were gifts, and a few because we've known each other for so long, and some I fear I could no longer live without.

The gifts on top of the list, a Leonard 38H from an old fishing buddy, a Scott G 883 from Steve Phinney, an IM6 9' 6wt. 3-piece Tom Morgan arranged for me to get before their guide deal was established and a 7126 Method Spey rod a dear friend presented me with.

As for the old friend fly rod, the top line of the list would be my South Bend Cross Singlebuilt 1500.

As for now indispensable, that would be my 10' 6" Farlow's Grilse.

Sorta like Potato Chips.
Can't eat just one.

I bet if I rummaged through the stack a few more would leap out as "never gonna part with 'me" rods as well.
I fish . . . not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many other concerns of men are equally unimportant--and not nearly so much fun.

Robert Traver

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

8 1/2 ft Catskill Mod 42 4/5 wt . Great dry fly rod but soft enough in the tips to also be great with wets and nymphs .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Heresy, but my 8’3” Hexagraph Walton built for me.

I have been looking for a Blackburn to change my mind.

Actually, I’d like both of his 8’3” models (4 and 5 wt), as well as his 7 footer for 4 wt, but at almost 79, they will probably remain dreams.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Heddon #135, 8 /3/2 - beautiful craft and quite perfect on smaller headwaters...

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I've never bought a rod I did not intend to fish. That said there is one I've had for a while, a 9' 5 5/8 oz. 3/2 "Ed M Hunter Approved" Phillipson Trade Rod. A six weight for me but casts a WF7F just fine in close, it has seen a few other nice rods and one custom built six weight come and go. I fish streamers a lot with it but have used it for dries, terrestrials and have swung soft hackles with it more than once, it does evrything I want it to. Every time I use it I think, damn that's a nice rod!

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Since I think bamboo on small streams is a wonderful thing, probably my 6'6 Bobby Taylor 3/4.

This could change depending what I fished last though. 😄

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

My first "quality" bamboo rod, not the banties and Monty rebuilds I started with. Thanks to Bob Selb for putting a Bob Malucci, 7.5', 2/2, 4wt, "wet fly" quad into my hands. I can roll cast this rod with no effort all day. As a nymph guy, this is the rod I turn to for my smaller, pressured home waters.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

TF, that is a gorgeous fish...and the net looks just like the one that I lost on Utah's Yellowstone River; did you find it there?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I have to list three, two were made by ol' hypochrondriac-but-great-fishin'-buddy George Boehme (Bay-me): 7 1/2' 2/2 for a DT5, accurate like a Heddon Featherweight, and his only 3/2, 7' for a DT3 (below). Hand-planed and fittings all made in his Venice, California garage, given to me before he went down from colon C. Can't give them up.

George's Los Padres rod, Crazy Woman Canyon, Bighorn mts., Wyoming. He would be so proud that I took this stick there. He moaned that it was too soft, no one liked it. And I told him it was fantastic, like an old Leonard Catskill. I have to fish it soon.

The other rod I have to keep is a T&T TTT at 7' for a two-line, impreg'd, dark, like throwing darts but every dart goes precisely where you aim. Just a great small stream stick. Shown on a Sierra creek where George and I used to fish.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Darrell, I felt sure you would include on your list the Conrad FET that I drool over every time you post it!

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

Flykuni3 wrote:
10/05/22 01:21
I have to list three, two were made by ol' hypochrondriac-but-great-fishin'-buddy George Boehme (Bay-me): 7 1/2' 2/2 for a DT5, accurate like a Heddon Featherweight, and his only 3/2, 7' for a DT3 (below). Hand-planed and fittings all made in his Venice, California garage, given to me before he went down from colon C. Can't give them up.

George's Los Padres rod, Crazy Woman Canyon, Bighorn mts., Wyoming. He would be so proud that I took this stick there. He moaned that it was too soft, no one liked it. And I told him it was fantastic, like an old Leonard Catskill. I have to fish it soon.

The other rod I have to keep is a T&T TTT at 7' for a two-line, impreg'd, dark, like throwing darts but every dart goes precisely where you aim. Just a great small stream stick. Shown on a Sierra creek where George and I used to fish.

Well loved !

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

I've got, or rather had, 3
1. Phillipson Premium 3/2 8 1/2' 5 weight that just seems to be magic on a stream or on the lawn with a DT5. Wonderful dry fly rod. Inspired me to try to collect one of each taper of the Premium series.

2. Poppycane 2/2 8' 6 weight made for me by my friend Mike "Poppy" Cummins - Just fished it for a 6 day float on the Middle Fork of the Salmon in the River of No Return/Frank Church Wilderness. Started trying it the first day and never switched to another rod. One of those rods I struggled wit at first on the lawn. But "just add water". As soon as on stream, the rod just comes alive!

3. Dennis Stone 3/2 7'9" Cascade taper. 5 weight. Just a magic rod as soon as I put a DT5 on it. Thought I'd never part with it, then my best friend and fishing partner retired in July and we were looking for an appropriate gift from our group. I swear I saw a tear when I gave it to him. Likes using it, too !!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Leonard 7' 2/2 4wt. green wrapped impregnated "Duracane".

Trains&Canes
Guide

Post by Trains&Canes »

It is nice to see this thread caught and released! I'm still using my Summers 856 more than any other. My Tufts and Batson 7' 9" comes out for small streams.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”