Martini with bitters

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Martini with bitters

Post by MtBrittany »

Received an email from my daughter on Memorial Day with a photo of the drink she was having before dinner at the Maison Pickle in NYC. She indicated it had a (somewhat spicy) pepper, bitters, vodka and vermouth (yes, from previous posts I know some here are adverse to vodka martinis). It caught me as odd with the bitters.

NY Times last weekend listed a Father's Day martini with orange bitters. What is this about? Picked up a bottle of orange bitters and have worked on getting the right portions of each ingredient. Give it a try if you like martinis. A dash of orange bitters (1/8 teaspoon or about 10 to 12 drops), 120 ml vodka, 8 drops dry vermouth and a lemon twist in a chilled martini glass.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Martini with bitters

Post by snorider »

It is a nod to the Manhattan by the Manhattanites I would think.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Ned's martini: first of all, gin. Sorry. I mean you can have vodka if you want, but it is not a martini. It is a cold vodka drink.

Suggested brands are Junipero, Plymouth or Hendricks. Put the bottle in the freezer and leave it there. Get a bottle or 2 of Dolin dry vermouth ( all good vermouth comes from France, you see, but since they changed the formula for Nouilly Prat, well . . . . Dolin dry is your sole remaining refuge). Now, after your gin is frozen, grab your non-insulated metal shaker, throw in some ice. I usually just use the martini glass to fill with gin, add a capful of vermouth. You may elect some more precise measurement to achieve the desired ratio of gin to vermouth. Cover and shake vigorously, until ice forms on the surface of the shaker. (You've done well if the shaker is so cold the skin of your hand adheres to the shaker and you momentarily consider the wisdom of seeking medical attention.) (Also, I've been known to stir, it is OK if you have a preference for that, but the martini will not be as cold and will suffer some from greater dilution.) If this is your first rodeo, please shake it. Might as well taste the best martini first.

Once you've shaken it, set the shaker down for a moment - after you've peeled it from your hands - to allow the ice to refreeze, so as to lessen the dilution, and thank the laws of thermodynamics for this miracle. While you're waiting that nanosecond or two, add your choice of garnish, be it my fave, a Tomolive, or an olive or two, a picked onion, or my other favorite, pickled okra, or a squeeze of a lemon rind. Pour in your martini, admire the ice crystals gracing the surface, and sip.

Ahh......now the original did call for a dash of bitters, but I agree, that was a nod to the sort of classic whiskey cocktails that required a shot of bitters, and personally think it is not a good, necessary or prudent addition to a well-made (see above) martini. I've observed to my non-martini drinking friends that a successful martini is similar to sipping ice cold lighter fluid. I am not sure they get the joke.

sgallas
Master Guide

Post by sgallas »

Ned, nice procedure. I only drink Hendricks these days and while olives are the standard, you might try a cucumber with the Hendricks and even some orange bitters .

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Personal preference for me is to pass on the vermouth.
Drop or two of single malt scotch makes it drier to me.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

To mix a drink with Gin is almost a sin...But now Vodka with a touch of lime...now that's sublime.

'Course it's been over 40 years since my last my last Gimlet and hope for 40 more.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

Speaking of gimlets, a proper gimlet can only be made with Rose's Lime Juice. If you don't believe me, ask Philip Marlowe. I am going to have to try this martini recipe. I can see how it could become a habit(or better, weekly tradition).

BomMeels

Post by BomMeels »

NedZeppelin wrote:Ned's martini: first of all, gin. Sorry. I mean you can have vodka if you want, but it is not a martini. It is a cold vodka drink.

Suggested brands are Junipero, Plymouth or Hendricks. Put the bottle in the freezer and leave it there. Get a bottle or 2 of Dolin dry vermouth ( all good vermouth comes from France, you see, but since they changed the formula for Nouilly Prat, well . . . . Dolin dry is your sole remaining refuge). Now, after your gin is frozen, grab your non-insulated metal shaker, throw in some ice. I usually just use the martini glass to fill with gin, add a capful of vermouth. You may elect some more precise measurement to achieve the desired ratio of gin to vermouth. Cover and shake vigorously, until ice forms on the surface of the shaker. (You've done well if the shaker is so cold the skin of your hand adheres to the shaker and you momentarily consider the wisdom of seeking medical attention.) (Also, I've been known to stir, it is OK if you have a preference for that, but the martini will not be as cold and will suffer some from greater dilution.) If this is your first rodeo, please shake it. Might as well taste the best martini first.

Once you've shaken it, set the shaker down for a moment - after you've peeled it from your hands - to allow the ice to refreeze, so as to lessen the dilution, and thank the laws of thermodynamics for this miracle. While you're waiting that nanosecond or two, add your choice of garnish, be it my fave, a Tomolive, or an olive or two, a picked onion, or my other favorite, pickled okra, or a squeeze of a lemon rind. Pour in your martini, admire the ice crystals gracing the surface, and sip.

Ahh......now the original did call for a dash of bitters, but I agree, that was a nod to the sort of classic whiskey cocktails that required a shot of bitters, and personally think it is not a good, necessary or prudent addition to a well-made (see above) martini. I've observed to my non-martini drinking friends that a successful martini is similar to sipping ice cold lighter fluid. I am not sure they get the joke.
Wow! This was very informative. Thanks for clarifying, NedZeppelin!

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”