fish dinner

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

lloyd3
Master Guide

fish dinner

Post by lloyd3 »

Is it ok to talk about fresh walleye here?

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: fish dinner

Post by jhuskey »

A great eating fish! Where are you?

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

The family and I were visiting relatives in Minnesota last week. Pictures (and fish) were from the Lake of the Woods.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Big YUM!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Nice! I want to pull my Lund up to LOTWoods one of these days and fish a week or two. I miss freshly caught walleyes.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Looks good! I'll trade a bucket of catfish for your bucket of walleye.
Vern

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

This is the other good eating part of that border country world, and that all starts in about 60 days.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Grouse are probably my favorite game meal. I love 'em. :)

Pat

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

MMMMMMM! Never had them fresh, but served them (frozen) on my menu regularly at a restaurant in Prescott, AZ. One of the best fish I've ever put in my mouth, I must say....can't imagine what fresh is like. :'( I mistakenly called them 'Walleye Pike', as that's how they were labeled, and I knew no better. I do know, thanks to a customer correcting me on it.

I also served Hawaiian Sun Fish, which wasn't a sun fish, but also a great eating fish....

Sturgeon, too....I remember when that was a cheap fish.... And Halibut... And Ahi....

Ahhhhh. Those were the days!

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Grouse dinner:

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Please don't take this the wrong way but you have exactly the right grouse recipe, but Im not too sold on your walleye prep.

In a nice way (l hope) l'd simply say to me the walleye is such a delicately flavored fish that it just begs for some good breading and some hot grease. I wouldn't think of masking up its flavors with peppers, onions etc.

And yes I do recognize that your prefect grouse recipe does use bacon to mask the delicate flavor of the worlds greatest game bird. So l guess Im talking out of both sides of my mouth, as they say.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Bee: No offense taken here. I'd love to bread some fish but....I have a wheat allergy. I've actually tried several different recipes for both meals and have largely settled on these two as my favorites. But...I do still mix them up occasionally.

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

Bee wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way but you have exactly the right grouse recipe, but Im not too sold on your walleye prep.

In a nice way (l hope) l'd simply say to me the walleye is such a delicately flavored fish that it just begs for some good breading and some hot grease. I wouldn't think of masking up its flavors with peppers, onions etc.

And yes I do recognize that your prefect grouse recipe does use bacon to mask the delicate flavor of the worlds greatest game bird. So l guess Im talking out of both sides of my mouth, as they say.
Did I miss a recipe????!

I cooked walleye by simply dredging it in salted flour, then sauteeing in hot clarified butter. Then finish with a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of sea salt. It was amazing, let me tell you. But have I missed something???? I wanna know!

As far as wild game, well...I suck. I simply haven't experienced it much, or cooked it much, for that matter. Bison, Venison and Elk, yes. Moose, no, but it's on my bucket list. Duck, goose, pheasant, quail, of course. Grouse, nope!

Duck. Duck....duck. My God. I'd forget fly fishing for duck and the many ways to prepare and eat them!

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

lloyd3 wrote:Bee: No offense taken here. I'd love to bread some fish but....I have a wheat allergy. I've actually tried several different recipes for both meals and have largely settled on these two as my favorites. But...I do still mix them up occasionally.
Lloyd3, try dipping the fish in an ice slurry or egg wash or even watered down yellow mustard and tabasco then pressing the dampened fish filets into instant mashed potato flakes or crushed unsalted potato chips. Both would be a good substitute for flour, if one has a wheat allergy. Not exactly breading, but good substitutes for such a delicate lovely fish. Pan saute the fish in a well seasoned cast iron skillet with a little oil, turning gently, and finishing in a 425 degree oven if needed.
By the way crappie, or white perch, or sacalait as we call them in my parts are pretty delicate tasting as well, but walleye is definitely the king of delicate fish.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

lloyd3 wrote:This is the other good eating part of that border country world, and that all starts in about 60 days.

Nice double Lloyd. English?

Matt

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

lloyd3 wrote:Bee: No offense taken here. I'd love to bread some fish but....I have a wheat allergy. I've actually tried several different recipes for both meals and have largely settled on these two as my favorites. But...I do still mix them up occasionally.
Gluten issues can be a big problem. My wife has Celiac disease and we've spent years figuring workarounds for it. Walleye was a relatively easy one for us. Using rice flour instead of wheat flour was an easy substitute. Rice flour into egg wash, another coat of rice flour, and then into the oil. Makes for a great tasting meal.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

flyslinger: those sound like great options, thanks!

doloresboy: Thanks! English 16

SpringCreek: rice flour should work too, thankyou!
Last edited by lloyd3 on 08/01/17 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Lloyd,

Nice catch! While you were on LOTW I was on the family vacation up on Lk. Vermilion, mostly musky fishing but walleyes and nice sunnies as well as smallmouth and some pike rounded things out.

Wish I could develop a taste for fish. The sunnies I filleted, same as the walleyes and pike and honestly, I would've preferred to pass and have toast n' jelly! I love the catching and I'll clean 'em cause I have to but that's it.

Hope you can appreciate the honesty. They looks really good all fried up on a plate but ....nah!

I'll catch 'em tho!!

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Jeremy: Absolutely! We like what we like, period. I'll bet the folks you were filleting those fish for appreciated them.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Oh my...I should come over here to the cook board more often. My appetite is totally ruined now since I have no way to get fresh walleye or partridge (What we called them in northern MN). I never found a recipe that walleye weren't delicious in from fancy to simple. The best of all? Campfire on an Island on Parent Lake, two cast iron skillets over the fire, one with potatoes and onions and the other with bacon grease and fresh walleye fillets.

Ruffed grouse in a good year was a staple of the table and one of our favorites was when I took the whole bird, or any of the ones my buddies used to rip breast out of and toss. I'd sit with a really sharp knife and carve out a huge platter of chunks from every piece of bird left after breasts removed. Take all those chunks and heat up a pan with some butter and shaved garlic and toss chunks in and sautee rolling frequently. Take that and dump it over a bed of wild rice that comes in about the same time as the grouse and feast like a king. When company needed to be treated special I'd do this and put a roasted breast lightly seasoned on the top of the rice and pieces and never had anyone leave a dirty plate.

Gubster, try this on your next nice 4-6# northern. I've given this recipe before and it's still as good today as it was 40 years ago when we first did it on Isle Royale with lake trout at an old fisherman's cabin. Take your northern and fillet it so all bones are out. Save top row of meat for deep frying hors d'oeuvres before the main feast. Take the lower section of pike and cut the fillet into approx. 4x4" chunks. Take a lowsided cookie pan and put just enough oil in to fully cover bottom. You're not trying to sink fish in oil on this. Now take your fillets and shake them a good batter mix (I like a 50-50 with Lindner's Original and Shake n Bake). Put fillets even spread in pan, coat them as evenly as possible with Mayonnaise approximately 1/8 inch. Sprinkle them lightly with some Lemon Pepper, Lawry's Seasoning salt, and a little Paprika for color. Bake at 350 degrees until Mayo browns and meat flakes. I have served Bass, Steelhead, Trout, Salmon, Northern, and even store bought Mahi Mahi to people in the past and have had many people who didn't like fish ask if there was any left. :lol

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”