fish dinner

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

lloyd3
Master Guide

Re: fish dinner

Post by lloyd3 »

That all sounds really good. Does elk backstrap count?

Dostroot
Sport

Post by Dostroot »

Just beginning planning my annual ice-out trip to BWCA for lake trout. All this sure does make a guy anxious to go. The ingredients for my favorite fish dinner:
1. Frying pan
2. Fire
3. EVOO
4. Island in the middle of nowhere at sunset
5. Oh yeah, fresh lakers & good company

Damn you guys, now how am I supposed to wait another 4 months?

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

[quote="I mistakenly called them 'Walleye Pike', as that's how they were labeled, and I knew no better. I do know, thanks to a customer correcting me on it.
[/quote]

A bit late with this reply, but years ago in Western NY we used to call them Yellow Pike. Don't much matter what you call them, they sure to taste great! OBTW, I recently read that there's a shortage of commercial walleye and that some suppliers are bringing in European Zander or Sauger fillets and marketing them as Walleye.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

OldCane, as long as the Zander, Sauger, or even jumbo Perch is properly labeled it is all family and all delicious. I have also read that many of the mussels sold are actually stamped out of shark and taste can fool most of us fine. I also have heard them called walleyed pike many and that big eye is luminescent and if you shine a bright light on a shallow reef at you'll often see them "eyeing" back at you.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I grew up on Friday Walleye so good!! My Mom was an artist in the kitchen with fresh walleye. I thought it couldn't get much better then I married a girl from SC and discovered freshly gigged flounder. Baked in a parchment by a chef we know and it'll ruin ya for lesser fair. He stopped serving it in his club cause people kept eating the paper !
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

MMmmmm fresh walleye! brings back memories of the U.P. in summer.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

My wife and I were invited to a game dinner that will be happening here in the next few weeks. Usually, attendees bring something from their larder to add to the variety of dining choices. I happen to know that the husband host had a particularly successful big game season last year (in 2017) so my usual contributions to such an event (usually elk, sometimes deer or antelope, and once even buffalo) might be, shall we say...redundant. I could bring waterfowl or even some form of gamebird (more likely pheasant; I really have a hard time sharing my ruffies!) but since last summer & fall were so productive for the fish being discussed here, I'm guessing it's going to be a rerun of this one:

A surprising number of young folks that I meet out here won't eat fish (many are some variant on vegetarian/vegan? Funny, but I don't understand that one at all?), but... considering the rest of the fare at this little function, I'm hopeful it gets a try or two.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

bassman wrote:OldCane, as long as the Zander, Sauger, or even jumbo Perch is properly labeled it is all family and all delicious. I have also read that many of the mussels sold are actually stamped out of shark and taste can fool most of us fine. I also have heard them called walleyed pike many and that big eye is luminescent and if you shine a bright light on a shallow reef at you'll often see them "eyeing" back at you.
I thought it was fake scallops from shark, not mussels.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

aged_sage
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by aged_sage »

Old Cane...

It is scallops; not mussels or clams. A friend of mine (now deceased) was from Florida, and was the son of a commercial fisherman. As a boy, they ate both fresh scallops and scallops cut from stingray wings with a cookie cutter. He contended that only those who had harvested their own scallops, who had cut them out of stingray wings, could actually tell the difference. Scallops are about as scarce as hen's teeth on the Texas coast; so, I have never had the opportunity to harvest my own. Thus, I cannot personally comment on his claim.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”