A new custom knife to the fold

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

A new custom knife to the fold

Post by fishnbanjo »

There's a pair of brothers who frequent our local Farmers Market and come from Nottingham NH. They make custom knives, cutting boards and other wooden products.

I stopped by their tent this morning and saw the real craftsmanship of their knives up close and personal and this beautiful Damascus Boning Knife followed me home. Here are the specs:
Hand Forged Colin MacCrea 15n20 blade with hamon line
Bloodwood Saya for blade protection
Handle: Desert Ironwood
Pins: Copper Mosaic 1/4 inch
Spacer Material: white g10
Bolster: Hand Poured pewter
banjo

Their website is http://www.JensenBrothersCustoms.com

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A new custom knife to the fold

Post by thegubster »

Banjo, add a "t" to your link - or other posters will I'm sure.

Nice knife indeed. Did they mention what the hardness of that blade is? I'll bet she'll be fun to use. I totally love our new kitchen knife collection as posted last year.

Do you have a preferred way to sharpen/dress your blades as you see fit? That issue was a bit of a challenge for me and entailed another $$ amt. for a sharpening system. I'm fine with wood-working tools but not so great with knives, until now. A major consideration.

I love to see quality so thanks for your post. Also Desert Ironwood is among my favorite woods for knives. Great choice!

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Done and thanks, no mention of the blades hardness but being a boning knife it needs a bit more flexibility than your standard kitchen knife but far less than a filleting knife, I use several grades of ceramic rods for a knife that needs work but a steel for keeping an edge. If things got horribly out of whack my Norton Co. three stone immersed in oil brings any knife back to good fettle several of the good restaurants chefs I know use this same system and I've had mine since 1985.
banjo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXp5fxCoNnA

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

Very cool. I went to an intro blacksmithing/knife making class a few weeks ago. Next month is a two day+class on "making your own chef knife". Already signed up and am looking at options.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Banjo, that is a lovely knife way to support local artisans.
Cheffy nice to see you around, that class sounds awesome man, please post up the results! I had a friend who was a blacksmith and she offered to let me make a knife, but I never got around to it. Now she is a nurse, and I still regret not taking her up on it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

BomMeels

Post by BomMeels »

fishnbanjo wrote:There's a pair of brothers who frequent our local Farmers Market and come from Nottingham NH. They make custom knives, cutting boards and other wooden products.

I stopped by their tent this morning and saw the real craftsmanship of their knives up close and personal and this beautiful Damascus Boning Knife followed me home. Here are the specs:
Hand Forged Colin MacCrea 15n20 blade with hamon line
Bloodwood Saya for blade protection
Handle: Desert Ironwood
Pins: Copper Mosaic 1/4 inch
Spacer Material: white g10
Bolster: Hand Poured pewter
banjo

Their website is http://www.JensenBrothersCustoms.com
That definitely looks like an awesome craftsmanship. I'll check out their website as well.

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

I have a 40-year old set of Gerber kitchen knives- one with a very similar blade profile, though I recall that they called it a "slicer." That's probably the most useful blade in the set of 10 knives, though I find it too long and unwieldy for actual boning. Sad to say Gerber hasn't made that particular set of knives in about 30 years. More's the pity. But on the other hand, I'd stand in line to get good customs along the lines of your addition.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

BrownBear wrote:I have a 40-year old set of Gerber kitchen knives- one with a very similar blade profile, though I recall that they called it a "slicer." That's probably the most useful blade in the set of 10 knives, though I find it too long and unwieldy for actual boning. Sad to say Gerber hasn't made that particular set of knives in about 30 years. More's the pity. But on the other hand, I'd stand in line to get good customs along the lines of your addition.
Congrats, Brown Bear. I've had the Gerbers for years, also. Great knives. Still have a few NIB!

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Don't overlook the Gerber sharpening steels!

The one that came with my set is outstanding. I must have over a dozen steels of other makes around here, but the Gerber is head and shoulders above the rest. Somehow it's just the right texture. Put some pressure on it an it moves a bunch of metal to clean up an edge in a hurry. But go light and it puts on as fine a polish as the 60+ YOA steel that was the pride and joy of my father-in-law, the pro butcher.

bluno2

Post by bluno2 »

I would only use Japanese waterstones for this knife.

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Nice knife Sante, but profile is way off, for proper chopping, nothing but a rocker-edged Sabatier 4-star for me.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Because it is a boning knife.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”