Tomato Time

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Tomato Time

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

It was hot in Midwest City, OK last week. We had our first 100-degree days with three in a row. You can almost watch your tomatoes ripen in real time.

Tomatoes, like trout, come in many sizes and colors. These were all started from seed back in March, transferred to 4-inch pots in April, and then planted in May.

Clockwise from top right: Striped German, Gypsy, Taxi (X2), Green Zebra, Tappy's Heritage, Dad's Sunset (orange), and Buffalo Steak. In the center, an assortment of cherry tomatoes: Yellow-white, Black Cherry, Green Doctor, Super sweet 100, and Jujube.

Thanks- Ken
Last edited by flyfishermann1955 on 10/26/17 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

jvh
Master Guide

Re: Tomato Time

Post by jvh »

Looks like its time for a BLT. You just can't beat homegrown tomatoes.
Vern

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Love those heirlooms. Great in a grilled cheese with white sharp english cheddar on homeade bread.
I usually grow lots of romas, cherries, and yellow tomatos too. At this time of the summer my crop is definitely over. Additionally, my golden retriever has developed quite a taste for them. She comes in with green around her nose and I know she's been pillaging.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Tomato pie is pretty special. In a 9 inch rebaked crust put a layer of skinless (skinned) tomatoes cut in 8ths. Cover bottom of crust with the tomatoes. Put a thin layer of mayonnaise over that , and then a layer of your favorite cheddar (mild, hot, mexican etc) then a layer of fresh basil, then repeat all with a second layer AKA double stack) then cook at three fifty for about 35 minutes or until top of cheese is well melted and on edge of browning. As they say down here it is: Smack yo Mama. (Meaning kiss the cook)

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Great Summer starter is grape - plum - cherry tomatoes sliced in half or quarters depending on size, a little finely diced shallot, fresh basil rough chopped, or cilantro for something a little different, and a drizzle of sweetened balsamic. Simple and quick.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Ken, that's an amazing number of varieties for a personal garden! There's nothing like garden fresh tomatoes.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

My wife didn't start hers early and they have just been coming in good the last couple of weeks. Still several out there ripening now. Don't have any idea what she planted but there's the regular size ones and cherry tomatoes. Both are delicious and cannot compare to hot house tomatoes, though in winter it is nice to have a source of any tomatoes and vegetables for our tables.

BomMeels

Post by BomMeels »

jvh wrote:Looks like its time for a BLT. You just can't beat homegrown tomatoes.
Vern
I strongly agree with this. Nothing beats homegrown tomatoes, in the same way that nothing beats a nicely-made BLT. :D

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”