Cod on the grill

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Cod on the grill

Post by DrLogik »

I hesitated to post this because it's not a salmonid but what the heck. This is a dish that I can cook during the work week because it's fast. Excluding thawing fish it takes about 15 minutes from start of prep to cooked. I prep the the fish while grill is heating.

Ingredients:
Cod fillets. I get mine frozen at the grocery store. My grocer has REALLY good cod.
Fresh sliced lemon - 1/8 inch thick
Fresh sliced lime - 1/8 inch thick
Un-salted butter - Plugra or other Euro-butter if you can get it
Course sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Fresh rosemary sprigs
Heavy duty aluminum foil - works better than the regular - doesn't burn as easy and is more durable when flipping.

Thaw the cod in the sink
Lay one (still wet from thaw) cod fillet on a sheet of the aluminum foil. Foil should be about 6" longer than the fillet. Extend about 3" on each end.
Sprinkle sea salt and cracked pepper to taste on fillet
Place two or three small pats of butter on top of fillet
Place alternating slices of lemon and lime on fillet. On a 14" fillet I get about 6 slices.
Place rosemary slices on top of fillet. A little goes a long way. It's just to give the cod a hint of rosemary.

Bring both sides of foil to top of fillet and start to roll and crimp lengthwise to cocoon the fillet
Twist each end tight to seal-up the fillet

Set fillet on a hot grill (mine is around 650 degrees)
Grill 3 minutes on one side then flip and 3 minutes on the other side. Don't puncture the foil when flipping.

Note: It's easy to over-cook cod so adjust your grilling time accordingly but a really hot grill is the way to go. Grill hot and fast.

Pull off grill and let cool in a large cooking sheet for a couple of minutes and serve.

Use a fish spatula to carefully scoop up a serving with the lemon and lime slices and plate the cod.
I serve this cod with jasmine rice I get at the Asian market and asparagus.

My wife and boys can't get enough of this. Meaty, flaky and not fishy at all provided the quality of the cod is good.

-

jvh
Master Guide

Re: Cod on the grill

Post by jvh »

I like fish cooked that way. I've never made with lime and rosemary but I will be giving it a try. Thanks.
Vern

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

I'm a big fan of cod. Here in New England they're usually baked. I understand fresh cod may not be available across the country but I much prefer fresh not frozen cod. Small fillets are also preferred. Restaurants generally refer to small fillets as "scrod" a contraction for "scrawny cod".

Here's how I cook them. So delicious "it will make your brains fall out".

About 1 1/2 lbs of scrawny cod fillets
Set oven to 400 deg
In a shallow glass baking dish melt 2 tbs butter (in the 400 deg oven)
Remove hot baking dish with melted butter and add fillets, coat all sides and season (salt/pepper) to taste
Return to oven for 10 minutes

while fish is baking, first stage, prepare Ritz cracker topping
Crush about 3/4 sleeve of Ritz crackers and mix with 2 tbs of melted butter
Wine sauce, 2 oz dry white wine and juice of 1 lemon

After 10 minutes remove baking dish from oven and cover fillets with cracker mix, press down with hand carefully
Carefully/slowly spoon wine sauce over fish taking care not to wash away the cracker mix
Return to 400 deg oven for final 10 minutes
Remove from oven and sprinkle with thinly chopped scallions and parsely

Serve directly from baking dish
Enjoy

BomMeels

Post by BomMeels »

Wow! That looks delicious! I may have to try that out one of these days.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

No worries about not using salmon. Farm raised salmon should be banned from the oceans, IMHO.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

I will try this recipe with the salmon I caught on an Alaska trip this past fall. Looks delicious.

Jim

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

That's our favorite way to cook pink (aka, humpbacked) salmon fillets which run 1-2#, but with the addition of sliced sweet onions on top of the fish and sub of dill for the rosemary. Our mod or trick is to use heavy "baking" foil to help prevent punctures. Seal the "envelope" of foil tightly.

Place the envelope on the grill with the veggies/butter down. Listen carefully until you hear the butter start to sizzle, then flip the envelope so the fillet is dredged in the juices and butter as it continues to cook.

Easy to tell when the fish is done perfectly. If you've sealed the envelop perfectly, it starts to puff up like the old JiffyPop popcorn we all cooked as kids.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”