Gamebird prep?

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

lloyd3
Master Guide

Re: Gamebird prep?

Post by lloyd3 »

Thank you for that. I've been a little distracted by the elk I've been processing.

Hope to get back to normal here shortly.

Doug Murdoch
Master Guide
Location: Ormstown, Quebec, about 20 miles North of the NYS border and the Adirondacks.

Post by Doug Murdoch »

I never skin game birds, but I know nothing about woodcock. I roast them on a V-rack covered. I usually add chicken broth and finish (brown) uncovered in another roasting pan. With duck and geese I glaze with Seville marmalade, ginger and a touch of Worcestershire sauce and turn up the heat until they start to shine. This prevents them from drying out and tasting of liver.

I had a friend who breasted ducks and grilled them on the barbequeue. They tasted just like steak (medium rare).
'Study to be quiet'.

Dostroot
Sport

Post by Dostroot »

Nice SxS. You must load your own black powder shells to go with it? My son last birthday gave me a matched set of Browning Citori o&u's: a 20 and a 12. Not 100 year old side by sides, but a pretty nice present, especially when we take them to the woods. Now all I have to do is convince him that trout are just as much fun. Better even, I can put 'em back and catch 'em again!
Have you guys ever seen the woodcock display? It's quite a show.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Dostroot: No black powder here (except for the occasional flinter, or two). My 16 is in proof for American shells, but...because of it's age (and very thin wrist) I spare it the unnecessary recoil. I use modern 7/8th ounce RST 2 1/2-inch shells (loaded in Pennsylvania!) and I really love'em.

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

lloyd3 wrote:Dostroot: No black powder here (except for the occasional flinter, or two). My 16 is in proof for American shells, but...because of it's age (and very thin wrist) I spare it the unnecessary recoil. I use modern 7/8th ounce RST 2 1/2-inch shells (loaded in Pennsylvania!) and I really love'em.
+1 on the RST. My 16 ga Powell was originally made in 1882 and re-barreled by the maker in 1940. That's some OLD English walnut! I re-load for it, but for hunting use RST exclusively. I called them and the pressure on their 16ga. 1 oz loads is very low. I want to say 6,000 psi. if I remember correctly.

Matt

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Matt:

Good to know. I occasionally follow-up with 1-ounce of sixes.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

The female Woodcock is much larger than the male is. My first foray with Timberdoodles had one dead in my sights with my Parker and screamed out “hold your fire, Woodcock”. My hunting partner John was nearly doubled over in laughter asking what the hell was I on about.

I stated the regulations called the Woodcock a Migratory Bird and I had not purchased a Migratory Bird Stamp since I didn’t hunt duck or geese.

John pulled out the regulations and showed me where there was no requirement of a Migratory Bird Stamp for Woodcock, so my first chance at one went unfulfilled.

The next season we were after Partridge, Pheasant and Woodcock since the areas we hunted had all 3 as the Pheasant were planted by our Fish & Game Club. In all the years I hunted birds with John I’d never seen him miss one, I had a shot on a Timberdoodle headed stage right as I was lead man so I swung on it and took it with the left barrel of the DHE. When it hit the ground it launched another Timberdoodle which placed it in direct line of sight to my buddy John who missed. As the bird went past his window into mine heading left I swung the Parker and took it with the right Barrel. So no only did I pass up a shot on my first Timberdoodle I got to watch my buddy flub the only shot I ever saw him miss that turned my first Timberdoodle into doubles.

I cook mine the way Leon Leonwood Bean did, black pepper, salt and butter in a cast iron pan, medium rare, I trim off the wings and legs and get them going then when they get close I place the breast skin down in the pan then flip it to finish. Served over Carmalized Onions is a feast for a king.
banjo

brums
Sport

Post by brums »

Steve Smith and his son Chris wrote, illustrated, and published a recent book titled: Woodcock Rising. It is a great read about this interesting bird.

There are some great recipes in this book (I am fond of the one on page 138 submitted by my hunting and fly-fishing buddy/author Jon Osborn) for woodcock poppers. We always make a meal of these at several of our bi-monthly "Pipes and Beers" events during the upland season here in Michigan.

FYI......my dog Dixie and I are featured in a sketch on 86 of this book.

In my opinion, woodcock are good eating if done right.....

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”