What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I took my Orvis Seven Four to a river which I had not previously fished. There was good bug activity, but the trout were holding deep and I should have brought a different rod and nymph fished. I would rather have had a snowstorm than the low fifties and sun

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Fished a Jon Parker 7'3" 2/2 for a 4 wt with a Ted Godfrey Classic 2.75" reel and 4 wt peach. Size 18 dark elk hair caddis (well, coastal deer likely) rose some fish, as well as a few on lightly-weighted soft-hackle flies. A handful of average browns and a single stocked rainbow.

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

Ed Fody 7’-3”, 2/2, 5-wt. Fishing a couple of days on the Metolius River in Central Oregon, before the snow comes……..it was in the 60’s, unseasonably warm for December. The Ponderosa Pines in this area are so majestic.
Gary

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I haven't had many opportunities to fish this Goodwin Granger GS1062. It's a heavy rod that requires a worthy opponent. An opportunity to go after some biggish steelhead tempted me to get it out this week. Fishing it with a Hardy St. John from about the same era, I managed a couple of brutes (and another two lost). These are the fish this rod was made for.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Very very Nice Teter! At least your able to fish for steelhead, up here on the Deschutes its closed due to poor runs, trout fishing has been decent though.

Bruce

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Dusted off some of my winter equipment today and fished an 8 1/2 Duracane. First time out since a hip replacement in late October. Didn’t fall in or break anything - only lost 1 fly so not a bad outing. Landed 3 respectable fish.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Today was an interesting day on the stream. There were a lot of fish about but most of them were yearlings. I was using a fairly bushy fly and could have put something smaller on so as to catch little fish. I opted to stay with the 14 Parachute Royal Coachman and ended up getting some nice browns in the 14 or so inch class. Needless to say, I also had lots of refusals and failed hook-ups. Just a wallaby and some cockatoos on the fauna front. Used the same outfit as reported in my previous post.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

For my first outing of the new year, I took along an early Granger 8642 Deluxe with the coke bottle grip and "patent pending" reel seat. It was more rod than these little guys needed, but I was up against the bank and the 8642 was great for roll casting blue wing olive patterns out to the middle where the trout were feeding.

thegreek
Sport

Post by thegreek »

A 7 weight, 5'1" scoop shovel with a bakelite grip. Driftlessnick

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Today I had my first fish for the new year. There were lots of fish about and either they weren't taking with conviction or I was a little rusty, because I missed heaps of takes. None-the-less I ended up with a double figure tally of brownies. Now I have written a few posts about tiger snakes. Encountering them on dry land is not so much of a problem but if they are in the pool with you defensive action needs to be taken. Why you may well ask? Because if they panic and mistake you for a tree, they may well try to climb up you (and this has happened to anglers in Australia). Best thing is to retreat to the shallows and let them go about their business (and that is what I did today). Used my 4/5 boo paired with a Perfect.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

This one was taken on a size 16 BDM tied with fur from my dog during my bout of COVID19. I was on house arrest for 5 days and the dog became a source of dubbing material. Rod is a Schroeder hollowed quad paired with a Hardy Featherweight.

The fish

The fly

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Fished my "new" round 9' 6" Montague with a 3 wt. and managed 2 and lost a heavy one that made a run upstream. I'm amazed at how this rod performs. I have a Beaudex that came to me with what I believe is a Pridex spool. It was around 40 degrees today and I had to see how the rod handled. Now I can't wait for mayflies to start hatching!

The camera was out as soon as the fish was netted. Released without being touched and swam away healthy.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Beautiful fish and rod. Thanks!

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Thank You teter! We're getting socked in with the "Lake Effect" snow that Central NY State is famous for. If the temperature gets in the mid 30's I'll be out again - the winter fishing is unique and the fish are simply beautiful. Having the right gear is paramount to enjoying it. A member here -"Salar4me" really helped me develop a technique to improve my catch rate success so a "shout out" to him!

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

Steelhead season on the Skagit closed at the end of January. Took my Sharpes 13' spliced fly rod and JW Young reel and a steelhead sculpin down a long riffle before the river closed. No steelhead but one bull trout.

Here's my best bull trout this year. Will let you guess the size.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

That is a Beautiful shot of that Bull Trout - 13-14# ? The fly box / rod and reel photo could be a framed print - Classy!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Catching cutthroats on dry flies with a W&M GA8040.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

That is awesome, Teter! My favorite taper and one of my favorite fish. Looks like fun!

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

barebo wrote:
02/04/22 08:49
That is a Beautiful shot of that Bull Trout - 13-14# ? The fly box / rod and reel photo could be a framed print - Classy!
Closed to 5-6 pounds but they always look bigger in the water. To minimize mortality I've started taking pictures of fish in the water instead of lifting them out of the water. Here's a skagit steelhead taken last year on a Pink Ghost new england style streamer.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Southern Tasmanian streams are suffering from low flows at the moment so I have been debating with myself as to whether I should just back off for a while and give the fish a rest. Yesterday I went out on an exploratory trip to a remote section of stream which is full of fallen trees and overgrowing willows and has some deeper pools (nobody ever goes there). It turned out to be a good decision as I caught some nice brownies up to around 16 inches. Whilst, thanks mainly to barbless hooks, all of my releases were low stress, I will leave the stream alone now for at least a week or so (about the amount of time it takes for me to recover from such an arduous trip). Cane rods are unbeatable in an environment such as this.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”