What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

cappy
Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by cappy »

paramount wrote:
06/03/22 11:01
On my home river with my 8' 4wt George Maurer Queen hoping for a few fish at the end of the salmon fly hatch. Only saw 1 adult stonefly so the hatch was over in the section I was fishing. Caught 1 nice fish on a golden stone (Norm Woods), 1 on a yellow sally, and the rest on cdc PMD.

What is the reel? Like the look of it.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I fished my new to me 1976 Orvis 6 1/2' with Superfine grip and MCL reel seat. What a nice casting rod with a 5 wt. I switched to a DT6 in the afternoon when the usual Utah winds picked up. The highlight of my day was watching a thick 17-18" brown follow my fly for about 12' before he looked up and saw me and decided to head for cover. That son of a gun was so close that he must have been smelling my fly for floatant.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

cappy wrote:
06/05/22 02:18
paramount wrote:
06/03/22 11:01
On my home river with my 8' 4wt George Maurer Queen hoping for a few fish at the end of the salmon fly hatch. Only saw 1 adult stonefly so the hatch was over in the section I was fishing. Caught 1 nice fish on a golden stone (Norm Woods), 1 on a yellow sally, and the rest on cdc PMD.

What is the reel? Like the look of it.
Cappy,
Its an older Lamson Velocity V2

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Thank you. Going to research it.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

mdwinks
Sport

Post by mdwinks »

Last fall, I stumbled upon an F.E. Thomas fly rod that was in sad shape. I was a big rod at 10' long! But, it held my interest so I had it refurbished. I fished it this weekend for the first time. (Despite it's length, I was told the sliding band reel seat suggested in might still be designed for lighter lines.) I fished it with a 5wt today and it worked well. I'll try other lines in the future. I got a few small, but pleasant, brown trout. Long rod, short fish I guess.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

teter wrote:
05/22/22 23:35
This is a 7'6" Phillipson Peerless refinished by the late Russ Peak. I was fishing with a Parachute Adams.

She treated us to several acrobatic jumps (captured on video) before being netted and released

Edited -- It's a Peerless, of course, not a Premium.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Well I am in the doghouse.I went fishing and had too much fun. This resulted in my staying out Much later than I said I would.
Fished a 1922 FE Thomas 8’ special, 4wt, with a Hardy reel, and a Phonix line. I have not been catching much on the few times I made it out this year.
Last night however made up for it. I caught numerous small wild Browns, a few nice brookies, and missed some larger fish.
Then I moved to the bottom of the run to fish some smoother water instead of the pocket water I enjoy. I saw some nice heads plucking Sulphers in an area of the long pool that is impossible to cast to. Either the water level was just low enough or all the heavy rains last year extended the gravel bar so I could reach the closest ones.
Then the real fun began. Hook played and lost 4. I am sure one was at least 28” or more and I know the other 3 were well over 20”. Poor line management allowed the fish to slip the hook. The blistering runs I had under control. Played the fish ok in close but I left way too much line off the reel when they were in close. It tangled with my net and wading staff resulting in loss fish.
It’s ok. I may never have another night like that, but it was definitely a high water mark night. Still smiling thinking about it.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Good for you! Times like that make the doghouse worth it (I'm speaking from experience).

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Guess I would rather be in the Cat house then the dog house..

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Fished last night on a west-central WI river that is still trying to find its way post-flood and the very cool spring we're still experiencing -- 2nd outing for my new 8' Hoffhines. Sorry for the redundant pics, couldn't pick a favorite. Nothing big last night, but lost a few good ones.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

On small eastern headwaters, a Winston Stalker 8' 4 weight... typical Tom Morgan era attention to detail & finish. Superb small water and ultra light tippet taper...

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Fished some north central Pa. blue lines this past week with my 7’ Orvis Superfine.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Another round of fishing this Divine Standard Trout, 8.5 3/2 with Peerless 1.5/dt 5 peach, sulfur spinner fall

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

GerardH wrote:
06/06/22 14:29
Fished last night on a west-central WI river that is still trying to find its way post-flood and the very cool spring we're still experiencing -- 2nd outing for my new 8' Hoffhines. Sorry for the redundant pics, couldn't pick a favorite. Nothing big last night, but lost a few good ones.

If that rod fishes as good as it looks, you have a great one there. Perfect proportions and aesthetics.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Fished the Bob Taylor 8’ Flametone tonight on the Farmington. Perfect reel, Phonix 5 wt line. Anything that looked like a March Brown worked. Had a few flies chewed up. The big fish were rising at the end of the run tonight again. Gave up that water to another angler. They were just too far away. So all my casts were collapsing. Instead of struggling and not catching fish I asked another angler I ran into at the pool if he would give them a go.
Not sure how he made out 4:30 comes up awful quick in the am and I left as I caught plenty tonight and was very satisfied.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

creakycane wrote:
06/13/22 13:41

If that rod fishes as good as it looks, you have a great one there. Perfect proportions and aesthetics.
That Hoffhines truly fishes as good as it looks -- started out with #24 Griffith's gnats last night and ended up with #12 March Browns...not to mention #20 olives, #16 & #18 sulphurs, it handled that range of flies without skipping a beat.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

This is an 8 1/2-foot South Bend 346, marked HEH (17/10 ferrules). It's a smooth rod, light at 5.1 oz. but sturdy enough to pitch big Stimulators during the salmonfly hatch.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I’m fishing a 7 foot three weight custom bamboo rod by Mike Pahl, along with a 1930s Hardy’s perfect with the agate line guard and a silk line. The second picture is my personal best brook trout at 11 inches. That may not sound too large to some of you gentlemen, but here in the Catoctin mountains where the streams rarely get more than 10 feet wide, it’s about as big as they get.

Kevin

Last edited by kevinhaney1 on 06/19/22 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

My own made 7ft, 3 piece, #4 weight is based on the Cattanach taper in Wayne Cattanach's book. This is the 3-piece version of the Cattanach 7ft, #4, which is much discussed on this site. I really like this rod and this is the second one I have built but, to me, it seems more of a #5 weight rod than a #4.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Godfroy wrote:
06/19/22 11:12
My own made 7ft, 3 piece, #4 weight is based on the Cattanach taper in Wayne Cattanach's book. This is the 3-piece version of the Cattanach 7ft, #4, which is much discussed on this site. I really like this rod and this is the second one I have built but, to me, it seems more of a #5 weight rod than a #4.

It looks good. I like the wraps...

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”