What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

cappy
Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by cappy »

Nice catches Drossi. Thinking the Raritan with the mixed bag? You should try for river Stripers with that rod.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

RH Woods Dual 6'9" and 6' on a local native stream, still determining which line(s) I like the best, this will be the 3rd time I've had it out in the last month. Today I will be using a DT4 Phoenix and a Terenzio DT4.5 line. A very nice rod for the money.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

cappy wrote:
05/11/22 07:25
Nice catches Drossi. Thinking the Raritan with the mixed bag? You should try for river Stripers with that rod.
Actually was not the Raritan (that river eats my lunch). The fish came from a hard fished section of the Rockaway. I moved way more fish than I expected, I also got one about 16” that didn’t want to pose in the net nicely and jumped out pre-picture.

No river strippers for this rod, it’s more of a 5wt than a 6. I have a Heddon Black Beauty 2f for them.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Drossi wrote:
05/11/22 08:37
cappy wrote:
05/11/22 07:25
Actually was not the Raritan (that river eats my lunch). The fish came from a hard fished section of the Rockaway. I moved way more fish than I expected, I also got one about 16” that didn’t want to pose in the net nicely and jumped out pre-picture.

No river strippers for this rod, it’s more of a 5wt than a 6. I have a Heddon Black Beauty 2f for them.
Augh the Rockaway. I know the upper sections well, never caught a smallmouth, assuming you were in the mid to lower sections. I thought the 99 is an eight weight rod.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Caught a break in the weather Sunday afternoon, I took advantage of the window to sneak out for a couple hours over in Wisconsin -- #24 CDC olive comparaduns were the only thing trout were interested in. Fished my PJ Julius Perfectionist clone, it punched the wind nicely but still gave me a gentle presentation. Nothing over 11", but it was a nice first outing of the year.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

A Lancaster "Falling Springs" paired with a Hardy Marquis LWT 5 spooled with Cortland Sylk DT4. What a wonderful combo.
Fine afternoon--lots of 10"-12" browns, a good size for this stream. Small stuff yielded lots of strikes and refusals, but they loved a #14 Purple Chernobyl Ant. And I love pre-runoff dry fly fishing.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Yesterday and today it was Jenkins: a 75 and an 80L with Featherweight and LRH, DT4 and Dt5, respectively.......Add a 70L and a 79, and I could make a good case that the rest of my rods are superfluous. A case, however, that I will not be making to my wife!

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Out today with my favorite 8' Phillipson.

Dr_Don
Sport

Post by Dr_Don »

Heddon Featherweight - 8' with 0 ferrule, and a Hardy St. George reel. Caught on the inimitable Griffith's Gnat (#20) tied the night before. The real fun of the day however was the 16-18" rainbow I hooked and fought for five minutes just before I netted this one. Boy, did that Hardy go "ZEEEEEEEE!" when the bow took a run down the creek! Super fun.

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

Upstate SC on a home-made rod

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Yes it does snow in May in Utah. Earlier this week, the mountains of Utah received another 6" of snow, which we needed. Yesterday, I cut out early too see if I could catch an afternoon hatch, and boy did I.

Shortly after entering the river, a caddis hatch began and there were so many bugs that it felt as if I were in a snowstorm. It was fun, but frustrating as I had 3 fish eagerly feeding within range of me, but the currents made it difficult to get a good drift with the 7 1/2' rod I was using. That and there were literally thousands of bugs for the fish to choose from. I didn't bring my wading stick, but decided that I would need to cross some somewhat treacherous water and relocate if I was going to catch a trout. I did and had several good drifts, but the competion from the bugs was too fierce. About 30 minutes into this the fish stopped feeding even though the bugs kept coming for another hour or more.

For those of you who have experienced the fallout of a cottonwood shedding its pollen during a good breeze, imagine being in a forest of cottonwood with all the pollen landing in the river.

On a positive note, I used a new to me Orvis 7 1/2' 3/2 4 oz rod from 1962 and could not have been happier with its performance using 444 DT6.

I hope to go back again today or tomorrow with better results.

Cheers,
Joe

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Teaching my daughter. Her first rod is a WM True Action 7633. Pflueger reel with peach dt4, soft hackle partridge and hares ear. We got a few. A few frogs too along the way

RSW
Sport

Post by RSW »

Fished my 6wt granger Aristocrat and my Brush Creek 4wt on the Big Thompson today.

Randy

Mead, CO.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Fished my new 8' 3pc HB quad with fiberglass ferrules today in the driftless. Lovely day!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Great series of posts, everybody!
Here's my latest, a long neglected 9' Phillipson Pacemaker from the early batch.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Snuck out again to a west-central WI river last night that receive about 5" of rain last week and had some significant flooding. Water levels were still coming down and water was soff-colored in clarity -- no real hatches/risers to speak of but fish were taking nymphs and soft-hackles. Just before dark, hooked up with the second largest brown on my PJ Perfectionist copy, taken on a PT flymph, plus a 13" brookie about an hour earlier.

Brier549
Guide

Post by Brier549 »

This week I’m using a rod I built with Mike Canazon from the CFFC. My first rod and I’m surprised that Mike is still taking to me ! Thanks Mike ( the man, the myth, the legend)

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Early post fire Leonard 40, two screw line guard LRH, soft hackle #14.

Richard, the fishin’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Another rod I haven't fished for quite some time, a somewhat rare W&M Champion (made for one year before W&M replaced it with the Field and Stream grade). This one is an 8642.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Marty Karstetter 8’3” 3/2 4 wt w/ Featherweight Multiplier DT4
Rick Robbins 7’3” 2/2 5 wt with 3 inch St. Grg DT5

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”