What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Godfroy
Master Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by Godfroy »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
06/19/22 13:55

It looks good. I like the wraps...
Thank you,
Paul.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Lancaster Falling Springs with ventilated grip, dual band seat, darkly flamed. Peerless 7M and peach DT4. Size 16 sulphur-type sparkledun with pheasant tail dropper sometimes. Fewer but larger fish today, and the hatch was lighter and moved upriver from 10 days ago....
Last edited by creakycane on 06/21/22 05:29, edited 1 time in total.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Old Leonard 41. 4wt Sylk on a 2-7/8 Uniqua. Hendrickson hatch a couple of weeks ago.

Old Leonard 50. 4wt SA Ultra-2 on a 2-7/8 Uniqua. Sulpher hatch last week.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

A 6', one piece Green River Rodmakers (Robert Gorman), 4 wt! A delightful small stream rod, and perfect for for presenting sulphurs in low water.

Beautiful colors and composition, Peales!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Peales wrote:
06/20/22 22:09
Old Leonard 41. 4wt Sylk on a 2-7/8 Uniqua. Hendrickson hatch a couple of weeks ago.

Great pictures and nice looking kit!
Paul

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

[font=]I caught 5 nice grayling on dry flies yesterday afternoon with my Payne 100 taper, converted to a 3-piece. The reel is a Hardy Flyweight silent check with a converted spare spool from a Hardy Tealweight and half a Phoenix DT4 silk line. The third photo is of the same rod and reel but taken a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Godfroy on 11/17/22 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Peales wrote:
06/20/22 22:09

Jan,

You had me at "hello".

Lovely, lovely, lovely. And thank you!

G

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Went out and fished a Edwards trade rod. A 8.5' Stoddard's Special. Nice warm cane and a smooth progressive taper. Wish this one was not lost in the back of the closet for so long.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Few days ago in the Spanish Pyrenees.
My friend Norman trying out my Bob Hallowell (7.6ft #3 three piece).

Me with my Scott/Wojnicki (7.6ft #4 three piece)

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I would love to fish the Pyrenees streams someday. I recently came across several essays written fifty years ago by expatriate American George Beall, who lived in southern France and fished the Pyrenees, including in Spain. I feel certain that he used his Paul H. Young 7'6" Martha Marie rod, which I now own, on streams such as the one that you and Norman enjoyed.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Bob, I think you have the makings of a future European adventure there! I look forward to reading that chapter of your Martha Marie’s adventures some time.

Jay, very nice looking streams! Is your Hallowell glass ferruled by any chance? If I recall correctly he was working with composite or glass ferrules. What’s your impression of it? I had a McFarland blank finished by him once and the craftsmanship was excellent.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Robert, I think you should take your Martha Marie and head to the Pyrenees.

Yes Bob made it with the glass ferrules.
I am really stunned how light the rod is, both with weight as well as 'swing weight'. The action, very nice medium-fast, is as sweet & smooth as one can imagine.

Just posted a trip report at 'Fishing' section

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

I have a few high dollar, high value rods. They get a lot of use. Yesterday I left those rods at home.

Al came for a day of trout fishing. We drove to the river in his truck. I thought I knew the stretch that he would choose, and I was right. He fished upstream in an area of rocks and riffles and overhanging speckled alder. I went downstream to fish slower water with a bottom of sand and silt curling around fallen treetops and deadfalls. On the bank the alders and pricker bushes and stinging nettles and grapevines pulled at me and held my progress. On my side of the stream the bank was steep and dropped into waist deep water with a silt bottom. The water was stained with recent rains, and the bottom hard to see more than knee deep. I found a place finally to ease into the water, and I struggled through the overhanging alders to the open stream.

In places the alders on the two banks meet over the narrow stream, and casting is impossible. I struggled along, stepping over rotting tree trunks lodged in the silty bottom, and casting where I could.

Part time rodmaker Joe Tschida split and planed his cane and glued up his blanks, and then he didn't have money for fittings and finishes. He used old real seats and cheap cork, salvaged ferrules and sometimes rusty guides. He made his rods for our small Midwestern fishing, and they perform beautifully. Joe is gone now. I have four of his rods, all about 50 years old, having refurbished and refinished them. They look like new.

Yesterday I used a 7' 5wt Tschida with a Marquis clone and a Cortland Sylk DT line. The rod was great for leveraging my way through the underbrush and the nettles, something I wouldn't dare to do with a high dollar rod. The Tschida was magic on this little stream. I don't know how many fish I caught; nowadays I stop counting at three. I stopped taking pictures of fish years ago, and I have no images to share. I caught wild brookies and browns. Two of the brook trout were about 10 inches, respectable for this little stream. Most of the browns were 9-11 inches, but when I hooked a nice one and I had to hold him away from a submerged treetop, I was glad I had the Tschida rod, bending into a circle and holding the fish until I got it to the net. It was 17 inches of strong wild brown trout.

After a day of abuse, the rod was arrow straight. My Tschida rods are not high dollar rods, but they certainly are high value fishing rods.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Fishing 7' Hans roeper "hunt". After finding out he didn't make his own blanks I am wondering if it is a Leonard blank. I didn't realized until fished it for the first time that it has Leonard real seat hardware.

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

Payne 205 "Sold by A&F" swinging some trad. wets.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Work had me in the vicinity of a favorite stream this week. Snuck out and enjoyed the beautiful wild rainbows and browns. Fished a Sweetgrass 8' 2/2 4wt quad and a Jenkins GA79 7.9" 5wt.

Cheers and tight lines!

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

That Jenkins and Sweetgrass are being used on fitting fish in a perfect environment. Wonderful. +1 for having work nearby!

This week , I was using a Bruce Howell 7’6” 5 wt with a St Grg and 16 sulphur types. Decent fishing, but very humid/hot conditions in the mid-Atlantic.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Perry Palin wrote:
06/25/22 09:30

Part time rodmaker Joe Tschida split and planed his cane and glued up his blanks, and then he didn't have money for fittings and finishes. He used old real seats and cheap cork, salvaged ferrules and sometimes rusty guides. He made his rods for our small Midwestern fishing, and they perform beautifully. Joe is gone now. I have four of his rods, all about 50 years old, having refurbished and refinished them. They look like new.

Yesterday I used a 7' 5wt Tschida with a Marquis clone and a Cortland Sylk DT line. The rod was great for leveraging my way through the underbrush and the nettles, something I wouldn't dare to do with a high dollar rod. The Tschida was magic on this little stream. I don't know how many fish I caught; nowadays I stop counting at three. I stopped taking pictures of fish years ago, and I have no images to share. I caught wild brookies and browns. Two of the brook trout were about 10 inches, respectable for this little stream. Most of the browns were 9-11 inches, but when I hooked a nice one and I had to hold him away from a submerged treetop, I was glad I had the Tschida rod, bending into a circle and holding the fish until I got it to the net. It was 17 inches of strong wild brown trout.

After a day of abuse, the rod was arrow straight. My Tschida rods are not high dollar rods, but they certainly are high value fishing rods.
Perry,

I cast at least a couple of those Tschida rods at your place almost two years ago now, I recall how I was taken aback by how well they cast and felt right in the hand. The ones I cast were indeed excellent fishing rods and I would be happy to have them in my collection. I know you weren't high on the cosmetics...but for a pure fly fishing rod, it's hard to beat the ones I handled. Joe Tschida knew how to make a rod.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

An early 8'6" Goodwin Granger rod, the Granger, with a suitably old St. George.

Edited -- Oops, I did it again. It's the Granger, not the Goodwin.
Last edited by teter on 07/02/22 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

av1903
Guide

Post by av1903 »

8'6" with LA reel.

Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”