What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

barebo
Master Guide

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by barebo »

Pretty Rainbow and scenery - looks like beautiful country. I can see where I'd like to put the fly in that stream photo! Nice.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Bill Blackburn 8’ 3 wt 2/2 with Hardy Featherweight Multiplier and Sylk DT-4. Sulphurs, caddis and ants.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

VanfromMaine wrote:
07/13/22 14:48
Used my Steve Pennington 6 1/2' 4 wt Canadian on the Upper Cupsuptic, Franklin Co. Maine
No Guides, Cabins or Fishermen.
That looks just about perfect!

Tom McCoy
Sport

Post by Tom McCoy »

Last Friday night I was lucky enough to pick up this 22" rainbow (and a couple of others, one significantly larger!) on a river that shall remain unnamed. The rod was a 9"2" Walton Powell 6ish wt. that has not 10, not 11,...but 13 guides, excluding the tip top. Ole Walton must have been in the mood for experimenting when he build this one!

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have been fishing my 8' 4 weight Cumberland Queen made for me by Wyatt Dietrich of Dream Catcher Fly Rods in 2013. Fishing a bery diminioshed summer sulfur hatch on the West Branch. I managed four to 20" yesterday and almost repeated that today. Today's big brown went for wood and I had no choice but to hold and try to turn him. The hook pulled out, but the rod was winning up to that moment!

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

7'6' Winston Leetle Feller

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Lon, that is my kind of water! Gorgeous color in that rainbow and nice set to angle with as well.

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

I fished a new to me 9' 5oz 3 piece E C. Powell rod I recently found. Sweet casting rod with a 5 weight Cortland silk line. Good karma too. Nice evening caddis hatch.

bhuz
Sport

Post by bhuz »

Beautiful photo, nice rod, nice fish. I rediscovered a 2/2 9’ “B” taper in the back of my closet, super sweet, now my go to dry fly rod for fall on the Metolius. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine,
Tom

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Thanks Tom I think it may become my favorite rod. I too am in Oregon. For some reason I never go to the Metolius and I don't know why ? Old habits I guess. Good luck on your fall fishing Jerry

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I am in Oregon and have a 9' 3/2 B taper. We should meet up!

BDNGRD
Sport

Post by BDNGRD »

Driftless- tricos, hoppers, and beetles. Using the 3rd rod that I have made, 7' 3weight.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Hiked back into the high country to fish two lakes I have not been to in a couple of years. Both were beautiful as always. Fished my Phillipson Paramount 8.5' 3/2 with Hardy Perfect 3 3/8 and Phoenix WF 5 silk line. Cheers everyone.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I fished for big lake-run rainbows with hoppers and leeches using a 9-foot A&F Yellowstone Special made by Gene Edwards.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Teter, every time I view one of your posts I feel as though you have the angling life most fishermen can only dream of! The photos are so well done and capture the essence of the moments from the take to the bend in the rod and a beautiful fish in the net. I look forward to these posts, and others as well, so thank you for sharing.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Thanks. I have to confess that many of the photos are frame grabs from go-pro videos.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I was gifted a 7'-0" 4wt Hoffhines rod last year by a forum member and it is a wonderful, delicate caster. However, it only had one tip, so I asked Rob to make a second tip last year and I've been chomping at the bit to fish it. Yesterday was a calm, misty day -- perfect conditions to take the rod out and christen the new tip fishing tricos and small olives. This rod is truly a fairy wand, it's so smooth and even 9" fish give a good account of themselves -- you can feel them right into the cork. Fished #24 tricos on a 6X tippet...no problem. Rob also replaced the reel seat and did a couple other touchups....wonderful little wand. I cannot speak highly enough of Rob and his rods.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Beautiful rod and fish.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

And, a lovely stream as well, Gerard! Thanks for sharing!

And, I always say that I want to be Lon when I grow up . . . even though I'm older than him!

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Decided to try my Seven/Four with a new Marquis 5 (spooled with a Sylk 4DT) rather than the usual CFO III. Took it to some of my favorite spots day before yesterday and got a grand slam--browns, rainbows, cutts, and brookies in the 8"-12" range--all on a #14 Royal Wulff. I love these waters.

Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”