What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

mjf454
Sport

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by mjf454 »

My 8'6" Leonard 50 1/2 tournament taper.

Last edited by mjf454 on 09/05/22 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

AM tricos: 7'-0" Hoffhines 4wt
PM hoppers: 6'3" PJ Julius / PHY Midge copy

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Beautiful rods, folks.

Here's what I fished yesterday, an 8 1/2-foot Heddon Thorobred.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Catching up. Two weeks ago I got to take my son on his first fishing & camping trip to MT. Then up to BC. I used bamboo, (Thramer Hollowbuilt 7 1/2 5wgt in the picture) he used a tankarra rod which was more intuitive for a 10 year old.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Neat! Look at that smile.

Therealtroutbum

Post by Therealtroutbum »

Wood on wood... Finishing up Tricos and float season.

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Just back from the Locsha river in Idaho. fishing was great, catching was disappointing, probably due to all the hot weather we have had out west this year . Great to be out though fishing with some cane. I fished with 3 different rods while we were there, an 8' 4wt George Mauer Sweetwater Queen, Mike Brooks 8' 5wt McKenzie NW, and a 8 1/2' Granger Vic. Bruce

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

My fishing partner and I made our 3rd visit of 2022 to Utah's Yellowstone River this past weekend. The weather was excellent, the fish were cooperating and we had a blast. My buddy fished a 6 1/2' Orvis Fly and Spin that Glenn Bracket converted to a pure fly rod with a larger grip as my buddy has big mitts.

We fished dries consisting of purple nurples, Humpies, Royal Wulffs, and various Parachute Adams.

I fished an 8' 4 1/8oz Orvis Madison with my new Alexander Imperial 125 reel and an Orvis Seven-Three Madison with an Ovis CFO 123. The first day fishing, I caught about 2 dozen trout that were about 75% brookies and 25% cutthroat with the two biggest fish of the day being Cutthroat. The second day, I fished the Orvis Seven Three and had a blast catching about 8 brookies. I've previously caught Rainbow on this river, but none were interested in my flies on this trip.

I really like the Alexander Imperial 125 reel as it easily holds a DT6 silk line and balanced the 8' Orvis perfectly. I did not have an opportunity to get any fish on the reel and these fish were really too small to put the reel to the test anyhow. The Alexander Imperial 125 is a 3" reel paying homage to the Heddon Imperial and is made by Richard Alexander who goes by reelill on this forum.

I thoroughly enjoyed fishing both Orvis rods and don't understand why the Orvis Seven-Three doesn't get more love from members. I like fishing it almost as much as my Seven-Fours and everyone seems to love the Seven-Four three piece rod.

The most interesting fish I caught was a 8" brookie who took my fly while jumping out of the water and over a branch of a tree that was in the water. My leader got caught on the branch and I was pleasantly surprised to find the brook still attached while freeing my line. This action took me far out into the river where I could now reach the pool of slower water that the fish in the first photo called home.

And now for the eye candy...

My biggest fish and the net that I lost on the trip

One of the many beautiful brook trout

My second largest fish posing with the Orvis Madison 8' and the Alexander Imperial 125

The Orvis Seven-Three Madison wearing a CFO 123 (be sure to look above the hook keeper)

Some visitors to our campsite
ImageImage

and the river

Cheers,
Joe

mjf454
Sport

Post by mjf454 »

Therealtroutbum wrote:
08/31/22 08:07

Beautiful boat!

mjf454
Sport

Post by mjf454 »

Just returned from the N fork of the Coeur d' Alene river. Caught nice Cutthroats with my version of the medium action Dickerson 8013. About ten years ago someone here posted the numbers for the medium action Dickerson, it's a joy to fish. I gave it a deep flame job and the contrast between the light nodes and the dark cane glows in the sunlight.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Whoa. That's a stunning boat (and picture in general).

Therealtroutbum wrote:
08/31/22 08:07

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Although there are 20 + pound Salmon running less than 20 miles from my driveway ... much rather chase some wild fish with a 6’6” Orvis “Special.” 6” fish were the max.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

My PHY Midge copy continues to impress on small waters, it was quite effective punching the wind with #10 grasshopper patterns.

mjf454
Sport

Post by mjf454 »

Fished the afternoon bite on the N fork of the CDA river after work yesterday. Swinging a soft hackle with my trusty Leonard 50 1/2 taper. This rod is amazing.

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

For an obvious reason, I fished yesterday an uncatalogued 8' #5 Hardy "Coronation" rod from the year the series were introduced (1953). The lightest rod of the series according the catalogues was the Number 1, a 9' model for HDH line.

Another interesting detail is the colour of the winding check. It is anodized to imperial purple to suit the silk in guide and ferrule wraps. I own a couple of other Coronation rods of a bit later vintage, but they have bright winding checks. Never seen another with a purple wc. Was the colour changed after the first year of the production?

This is a smooth action 3/2 rod with FOB guides, "bamboo color" intermediates and the colours of the Union Jack in the signature wrap.

Oh yes, and God Save the King!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Very neat. The relationship between the royal family and the House of Hardy is touched upon in "The Lost World of Mr. Hardy." It would be fascinating to know whether any of the royals used one of the Coronation rods.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I fished a Goodwin Granger 8040 Deluxe yesterday. The reel is a Hardy LRH with the L-shaped line guard.

MAFry

Post by MAFry »

Mid-winter in New Zealand - Tongariro. Another great 3-week sojourn, and an argument about dress code for fishermen, which I claim I won!

In hand, Hardy Phantom 8' 2-piece, with Hardy Angel TE 4/5 reel, and Cortland Sylk line. Leaning on the Department of Conservation sign, Hardy CC de France 3-piece 8' #6 with Bougle 3.25". Thank heavens split cane is so strong - rainbows averaging 4lb, browns 6lb. Sorry about rotten quality of the photo.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Bravo! Nice togs and nice rods. Sounds like a perfect outing.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Yesterday, I took my Madison Midge out for the first time. My fishing partner had to work, so this was a solo adventure.

I am very lucky to have several good to great rivers available to me with an average drive to each being about 2 hours. I hadn't fished the Logan River in Logan Canyon in a couple of years so decided that I'd fish there. The Logan River is classified as a blue river trout stream with mostly browns and cutthroat trout in the upper section of the nearly 30 mile long canyon. I fished a section of the River that closes on January 1st and remains closed until the river and all of its tributaries reopens at 6am on the 2nd Saturday in July. This annual closure is to protect the native cutthroat population.

I paired the Orvis Midge with Hardy Featherweight and Cortland 444 DT4F

Fishing was slow with just a single small brown taken within the first hour. Then I came upon a nice looking pool. My leader was getting short, so I tied on a new Trout Hunter 12' 5X Finesse and a size 12 Parachute Adams. I took what I believe to be personal best rainbow for me on the first cast into that pool. Perhaps he just seemed like a personal best fighting him in the strong current and with an Orvis Midge, which at times was bent into a nice "u". I estimate this fish to be 13" or thereabouts.

I caught another small rainbow and a brown and then this decent cutthroat decided that it was his turn

All fish from the pool were caught using a size 12 Parachute Adams, while the first small brown was fooled by a yellow bellied Humpy

Towards the end of the day, smaller fish began jumping out of the water as they were pursuing some tasty morsel. I never saw any bug activity, so I have no idea as to what they may have been feeding.

I will have to fish this River more often as it truly is beautiful water and is easily accessible from any number of pull outs.

Cheers,
Joe

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”