What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by teter »

EMH2 wrote:
08/08/21 16:43
Last week on the Grimsa in Iceland one the most epic sessions of my life- Landed 11 atlantic salmon and hooked 18 in less than 2 h using a Payne 410 salmon rod and a Paul Hermann salmon reel. First time I caught fish on this rod, acquired 3 years ago before ill health and the pandemic, it was Paul Hermann who encouraged me to fish bamboo rods especially with his reels now many years ago.
Wonderful, and how inspirational is the Paul Hermann story.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I fished a Thomas and Thomas bamboo rod for the first time in several years. An older 8-foot Classic, it lacks the swelled butt typical of many T&T rods but handles a 5-weight line very smoothly.

Bloodhound
Sport

Post by Bloodhound »

I am fishing my Phillipson X-86...Yup its fiberglass but it fishes more like bamboo than most glass. I currently own 2 Phillipson Bamboo rods, one is in the mail at my office...I am on vacation and the rod didn't make it to me prior to me leaving, and the other one is still getting fitted for a new/replacement tip...so fiberglass this week.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Today I fished this Orvis 8ft kit rod - 2pc 2tip / probably late 70's

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That is one healthy Rainbow!

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Sure is. Looks like one that has just come out of Lake Taupo and is running up the mighty Tongariro River (the NZ version of a steelhead).

EMH2
Sport

Post by EMH2 »

teter wrote:
08/11/21 23:37
EMH2 wrote:
08/08/21 16:43
Last week on the Grimsa in Iceland one the most epic sessions of my life- Landed 11 atlantic salmon and hooked 18 in less than 2 h using a Payne 410 salmon rod and a Paul Hermann salmon reel. First time I caught fish on this rod, acquired 3 years ago before ill health and the pandemic, it was Paul Hermann who encouraged me to fish bamboo rods especially with his reels now many years ago.
Wonderful, and how inspirational is the Paul Hermann story.
Thanks I was afraid of bamboo, I did not understand they were not fragile and would not bust easily until Paul Hermann set me straight and converted me from using his reel on graphite to the good stuff- now many years later, and owning many different types of bamboo rods both new and old, it is the fishing that I seek. The way a bamboo rod puts out the line and I think even better in the larger grains and what happens when it is fighting a good fish rises above all the other fishing experiences. I should also say it was Len Codella, now also gone, who connected me with Paul and was the source of that Payne shown in the photo.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

The picture above with the fish has the reel - but no spool and fly line is showing...

The spool itself came off the reel while landing that fish... so I wound the line onto the spool by hand.
It was a chore to land but reminded me of my early days when I goofed like this a bunch.
The spindle post came loose from the SCREW back... never happened before - and will never happen again.

Funny... I fish the bamboo rod today and this spool/spindle issue happens.

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Wow! Nice save. That kind of thing has happened to me, too. Once or twice, the whole reel worked itself loose and fell into the water.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

So many beautiful rods, fish and stories! Thanks for sharing everyone.

Yesterday, work had me within 45 min of a creek I had been wanting to check out. So glad I did. It was loaded with wild rainbows and a few wild brookies. Tied on a small hopper and never took it off. While the fish weren't big, they were wild and plentiful. I love when a new piece of water ends up being great! Fished my Winston 8' 5wt with Hardy LRH and Phoenix WF 5wt silk line. Cheers everyone!

Best, Chris

coolhl7
Sport

Post by coolhl7 »

Fished a small tailwater creek in Colorado with my new 7 ft 2.6 oz 2/3 wt made by Michael Stephens on a Dennis Stone Leonard 38L blank.
It was hopper time all day long with eager wild browns.
I just traded up for this rod from Mike on our classifieds here and I have nothing but great things to say about dealing with Mike and the craftsmanship of the finished rod. We are so lucky to have this forum and the classifieds. I have been fly fishing for over 50 years but for most of the time I have been a graphite junkie, and only the best and lightest. It is hard for me to adjust to the higher swing weight of boo, especially in longer lengths. But the 38L taper with it's significantly lower swing weight really hit the sweet spot for me. I am amazed how well it cast even with bulky #12 hoppers in the Colorado wind.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Carlin blank
7.5ft 2/2
what a great rod

Last edited by Brian K. Shaffer on 08/19/21 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Fishing a 8’3” John Bokstrom Cutthroat taper modified for hollowing.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

NOTHING - NOWHERE - NOHOW !!! Here in Central NY State, and basically statewide, we're inundated with flooding. How I wish some of the rainfall we've been experiencing would stay out West where it is needed.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I fished a new to me Orvis 8' 4 1/8oz Madison and really enjoyed this rod. Although I loathe long rod tubes and therefore have a strong preference for 3-piece rods, this one will likely stay with me for a while. I really enjoyed the slowness of this rod while fishing it with a DT5 silk line. It threw everything from Jay's orange hoppers to tiny Royal Wulff with ease even in a rather strong wind.

Tight lines,
Joe

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Newutahangler,
They are great rods! Very smooth.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

7'6", 3-piece, "Perfectionist" taper built on blanks from Chris Carlin and Hardy Featherweight silent check reel

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice rods, everyone.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Well of course there are no trout hereabouts this time of year. Took my Winston 7-1/2' 4wt to a local bass hideout; the bass were uneventful but I did manage to land this fella. A good tug and a nice bend in the rod for a good 15 minutes plus...

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Nice Catfish - taken on a fly?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”