What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by jhuskey »

Wonderful stuff PK!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I had great fun catching chunky steelhead, drifting egg patterns on a 9-foot Phillipson Peerless and swinging streamers on a 9-foot Winston.

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

Likely my last trip to fish wild trout on the big PA limestoners this year as the spawn should be just around the corner. South Bend (post war) 346 for HEH. To me, these rods are ferruled blanks so I dispensed with the acetate label and signature wraps as I am fond of the dark cane. Five guides on the tip, four on the mid, and two on the butt. I may rewrap at some point this winter and remove the cork wraps as well.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

teter - would you consider adopting me? I'm only 65 pushing 66! Every time I see the beautiful arc of one of your classic rods, I start turning Green!
I just tied some bucktails and will be using the 9' Montague "X-Pert" I just acquired. No drift boat for Steelies, but local streams hopefully to fool a few Browns. Those are some beautiful chrome fresh fish - Nice!

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

This week and last:
Leonard Model 50 (1930ish) with new tip top (now 1 inch short) w 3 inch St Geo.
Jon Parker 7'6" 2/2 4 wt with Featherweight Multiplier
Edwards Quadrate 7' 2/2 with Baby Hermann

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Out on my home river with my George Maurer 8' Rocky Mountain Trout Bum. Short but sweet BWO hatch.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Took my new to me Hank Roberts (Phillipson Peerless) 8' 4 1/4 oz rod out for the second time and caught just a single fish away from all the spawners

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Fast and furious action fishing an Orvis Limestone Special during a BWO hatch today.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Fished a Ron Bennett P197 taper with a Peerless 7M reel and DT 4 to some picky wild Tailwater fish. Caught a couple on size 18 Elk and CDC in the ripples, but didn’t really fool any in the pools. They were rising, but pretty much on and off. One of those days where the angler leaves the stream knowing the better fish were laughing at his efforts.....

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

This 9-foot Sharpe's Scottie is marked for a 6-weight line, but I find it really takes a 7 to load. It's a stout rod that works well on fish in the 4- to 6-pound range.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I fished my 1949 Orvis 7 1/2' 3/2 on a local river and a local creek yesterday. Fishing was slow, but we saw a cow moose, a muskrat, a bald eagle, and a small forked-horned mule deer.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 11/29/21 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

After Tasmania's wettest Spring for 64 years I finally got onto my favourite stream today. After bush-bashing downstream for a while, I slid down a bank to be greeted by a four or so foot tiger snake (really pronounced tiger stripes). After waiting for him to move on, I put out my first exploratory cast of the season. Nothing, but I thought that I discerned a rise so I put out a slightly longer cast and hooked a really good brown of around 18 inches. After that I caught a few more browns in the 12 inch range but the fishing dropped off when the day got hotter and an easterly wind came up (east is least in our neck of the woods).
I was using a 7' 5" 4/5 weight rod, recently restored by Forum member Mark Rampant, paired with a small Hardy Perfect. Unfortunately my casting was pretty rusty but it was great to be out of the city. Sorry Teter, no platypus today.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Wait? What? No Platypus? How can that be? :)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Carpenter 5 weight quad/ Herman Tiny Trout reel. Big browns on a stream that I have all to myself.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

PT48 wrote:
11/29/21 02:33
Sorry Teter, no platypus today.
Please post a picture of the stream!
How about a Tasmanian devil? :wave

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Mark, platypuses aren't all that fond of floods so I wasn't surprised to not see one. Jay, devils mainly come out at night.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

teter wrote:
11/10/17 14:42
Show us the rods you're currently (or recently) fishing. Here are the three I have had on the water this week:
Orvis 1856
Leonard 40 Catskill
South Bend Cross 1500
Lon, first thanks for your effort to initiate this thread four years ago. Since then nearly 1200 posts and 150 000 views! I tune in a couple times a week to enjoy in other’s outings vicariously.

I have to say I’m a little envious how often you’re able to enjoy such beautiful steelhead and trout waters since you moved to Oregon. Very nice to see that you seem to have settled so well into your new fishing quarters. I’ve been wanting to ask for some while now - when in the drift boat do you go out with a guide each time, or did you buy a boat and found an arrangement with an oarsman, or do you have a generous buddy that does oar duties and shares in some fishing?

Last week I fished a Doug Daniel 834 H 3/2 hollow build quad which is a very capable 5/6 weight, working stripped hoppers for Burmese trout and jungle perch. Unfortunately the dam releases from 8 km upstream were continuous beyond 11 AM and the flow became too heavy and muddied to allow for decent fishing into the afternoon. The fish are quite small typically, but native to the river and full of effort. Certainly not the equivalent thrill to steelhead however.

Tight lines, and I look forward to your regular updates,

Adrien

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Out on the Deschutes River. Beautiful sunny day, temps in the 60's, didnt see any hatches so it was a nymphing day. Used my AJ Thramer 8 1/2' 5/6wt.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Adrien,
Thanks as always for your kind words. I don't own a boat and couldn't row one if I did.
I have friends who are guides and guides who are friends. But most of my fishing is still solo.

adrien schnee wrote:
11/30/21 10:02
teter wrote:
11/10/17 14:42
Show us the rods you're currently (or recently) fishing. Here are the three I have had on the water this week:
Orvis 1856
Leonard 40 Catskill
South Bend Cross 1500
Lon, first thanks for your effort to initiate this thread four years ago. Since then nearly 1200 posts and 150 000 views! I tune in a couple times a week to enjoy in other’s outings vicariously.

I have to say I’m a little envious how often you’re able to enjoy such beautiful steelhead and trout waters since you moved to Oregon. Very nice to see that you seem to have settled so well into your new fishing quarters. I’ve been wanting to ask for some while now - when in the drift boat do you go out with a guide each time, or did you buy a boat and found an arrangement with an oarsman, or do you have a generous buddy that does oar duties and shares in some fishing?

Last week I fished a Doug Daniel 834 H 3/2 hollow build quad which is a very capable 5/6 weight, working stripped hoppers for Burmese trout and jungle perch. Unfortunately the dam releases from 8 km upstream were continuous beyond 11 AM and the flow became too heavy and muddied to allow for decent fishing into the afternoon. The fish are quite small typically, but native to the river and full of effort. Certainly not the equivalent thrill to steelhead however.

Tight lines, and I look forward to your regular updates,

Adrien

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

South Bend Cross 28

Imagephoto upload sites

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”