What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Show us the rods you're currently (or recently) fishing. Here are the three I have had on the water this week:
Orvis 1856
Leonard 40 Catskill
South Bend Cross 1500
Last edited by teter on 11/19/17 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by fefferje »

Teter, I don’t have on site photos ,but the two rods I took a-fishin were:

a Payne 197 by George Guba with a Hawkeye 80

and a Leonard 38 1/2 with the same reel. I mostly midges with these rods
On the Gunpowder River in upper Baltimore County , Maryland

Fefferfly

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice combo, Jed!

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Thanks Teter. The Payne 197 is a deep flexing rod and a lot of fun to fish. It delicately casts a griffiths gnat onto the water. Cheers, Jed
Fefferfly

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Not fishing this week but the last day before the snow shut us down I was fishing a Winston 7'3" 3oz 4wt penta. The reel is a 1960's 3 1/8" perfect. Hit 38f today, another week like this and I may get another chance to fish...but I am not holding my breath.Image
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Finally the Southern Tasmanian stream fishing has kicked into gear. Yesterday I discovered that my local river has even more fallen trees and blockages which makes it hard going and somewhat treacherous. My rod of choice for this situation is a Payne 101 clone. The whippy action is good for short flicks as well as lots of roll casting. Sorry but I am not set up for photos.

PT48

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

PT48, you'd enjoy my favorite rod. I use it in exactly the kind of conditions you describe. It's a rod I designed myself. It's a 6'8", 6wt that can easily rollcast 30+ feet and will load with a little bit of line. I call it my Hidden Places rod. In fact, I used it just today in some really tight spaces to catch smallmouth.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

A short, strong rod certainly has its uses Canewrap - yours would be good for some NZ situations that I fish. In Australia we call such an instrument a "stump puller."

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I am currently working near Cartersville, GA. but this Sunday I'm going to drive up and fish the delayed harvest section of Amicalola Creek. I'll take along a Goodwin Granger 9050 Aristocrat that Scott Whitman re-furbished for me and a Pflueger 1495 1/2 Medalist with the round line guard from Russ Gabel. I like it a lot and I've only fished it once so far.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

L....good to see you are on the water...things good here in Savannah and we've been on the baby tarpon with some good tides...here's a small one with my Carlin 7/8 wt...they get bigger!

Gary.

Last edited by mcflyfish on 11/11/17 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Way to go Gary, I like the shorts and short sleeves, ain't short sleeve weather up here, had 13 deg. at 5:30 this morning, fishin may be done for us till spring, caught and released this landlocked Salmon Wednesday afternoon, using an 8.5' Orvis light salmon for a GAF line, Salmon season has not been too good this fall, a lot of fish and big fish that just are not getting pissed off enough strike! better luck next fall I guess. JerzyImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Before the cold front smacked us, we had some gorgeous Fall weather. In recent weeks, a beautiful original Jay Harvey Lincoln, 8', 1 1/2 ferrule was a perfect choice for small dries and mostly nymphing on small waters here. Very special with the rather dainty grip and the very nice tite-lock Heddon seat...

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BambooNut »

No fishing. Bear hunting

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

The South Bend #359 8-1/2' and #290 7-1/2' I just picked up. Testing line weights and blooded them both on bluegills. I know they ain't trout, but hey; you take what you can get...

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

"but hey; you take what you can get"

Hey, I hear ya brother! I love to fish, so I've had to adapt. Trout fishing that's better than a bad joke requires hours of travel in this part of the south. So, I'm exploring area small streams and I'm actually finding some lively, beautiful fish in under-fished streams. What's not to love.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Those slabsided sunfish are always up for a good fight. Catching them on bamboo rods is lots of fun.

Gary, good to hear from you, too! One of these days I'll come back down there and fish your lagoons again.

Lon

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Had our 1st measurable snowfall this week but temps today into upper 30s so grabbed the ubiquitous Montague impregnated rod they made under contract for Orvis. Workingmans cane I can fish with confidence without worrying too much if it takes a swim etc

PoudreCanyon
Sport

Post by PoudreCanyon »

No photos, but still great enjoyment with a 4 wt Heddon rebuild 7.5' and my rebuilt South Bend 359, cut down to 7.5' and casting WF6F.

Mike Clark made an excellent extra tip section for the Heddon and salmonbandito on *bay did a great job rebuilding the South Bend.

It's been a very good year in the neighborhood with old bamboo rods and soft-hackled wets. Ice-over will happen soon.

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

My Leonard 38 L got a workout this week.

I cannot make my pic as large as others here, no matter which option I choose. Does anyone have any advice?
Last edited by Mister Bill on 11/13/17 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Since you asked,
(Sorry, no photos of the Para 30 that I needed in order to cast this guy ;) )

-Dwight

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”