What are you fishing this week?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What are you fishing this week?

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hmmmm, straight stock double, no wonder he is smiling :)

regards, jim w

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

Flykuni3
Chris McDowell makes a great rod. I used to see his rods when he attended the Bamboo Rod Fairs years ago at Camp Sherman, OR. I always admired them, and am glad to see he’s back at it, building rods again. A great guy, doing great work!
gClark

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Nothing

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

8’4wt Jon Parker rod with Hardy Featherweight multiplier and dt4 Sylk. Hoping for olives with pheasant tail droppers, though little dark caddis and zebra midges are possible. If no surface takers, it will be a Lancaster Para 14 with LRH and big stimis and weighted stones or matukas downstream in the bigger water.

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

Last fish of the year, taken on a Sweetwater 7' 3-4wt Mantra with a Ballen Model 44 reel. I'm loving this rod.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
11/19/22 15:06

regards, jim w
I’d always wanted one when I was younger. Wound up with that Ugartachea about 15 years ago. It is a whisper of 20 gauge with 26” barrels and very light (about 5 lbs)
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Heli-Ply 888-3, the best bonefish rod ever
Last edited by jim royston on 11/23/22 16:54, edited 2 times in total.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Took my Tonka Queen and Pflueger medalist 1494 ringer out for a session this morning.

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

It was a cold day on the river, but a few steelhead were biting. I baptized a 9-foot Phillipson Premium, the 6 oz. heavyweight version.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

LeeO wrote:
11/23/22 09:17
Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
11/19/22 15:06

regards, jim w
I’d always wanted one when I was younger. Wound up with that Ugartachea about 15 years ago. It is a whisper of 20 gauge with 26” barrels and very light (about 5 lbs)
A good friend has an Uggie in that configuration that he got in a trade with a bamboo rod from his collection. Sweet wand, it carries well in the grouse/woodcock woods in northern WI.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

You always know you are in for a reasonable day when a mayfly lands on your hand whilst you are having a few shake-out casts in the good old bridge pool. Caught some nice brownies over the next hour or so until the hot Australian summer sun cranked into gear and everything went dead. Used my bush-bashing 4/5 weight with an old and slightly dysfunctional Hardy JLH Ultralite. Reels are only used for storing line aren't they!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I just picked up a big Uslan, a 9-footer, to try out on steelhead.

This fish went for an egg and treated me to some aerobatics, caught on video, before coming to the net.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Very nice action shots Lon! Happy new year.

Cheers,
Joe

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

January 7th was the Wisconsin trout opener. Starting in 4th grade, I always had to fish the opener. Back then the opener was the first Saturday in May. We had some cold ones back then, but.... May is not January. However, my friends and I did not have money for waders back then, just jeans and old basketball shoes, so there were plenty of May openers when I wound up with no feeling in my feet and legs. Anyway, I digress. I still feel the need to fish the opener no matter the month or weather. The 7th was 20 degrees and sunny. My daughter wanted to fish an area stream that has 8000 fish per mile in some stretches (including the one we fished). Concentrate all those fish in slow, deep pools and the fishing can be easier than shooting fish in a barrel during the winter. That was the case, as my daughter caught a dozen in 45 minutes (I told the rod for a few casts until I got my one). I was her gillie, taking off fish and deicing guides. 45 minutes were enough, we had successfully fished the opener and we were frozen. It was too cold for photos.

Today (the 15th) it was close to 20 degrees warmer! For the opener we fished a Lamiglas rod. Now that it was above freezing, I was looking forward to trying a couple new to me impregnated rods. A HI Canada Creek, rigged with a tandem nymph rig and an Orvis 7/3, rigged with a #24 midge. Their were plenty of midges about, but no fish looking up. I did try a few casts with the 7/3 and it turned over the 12' 6X leader pretty good. The wind was blowing at 10-15 mph, which was definately pushing the limit of the 7/3.

The Canada Creek 8' 3/2 rod got a real workout, however. Many fish had spread out of the deep pools and into the riffles, so I had to work a bit harder. The rod handled the nymph rig with ease. It roll casts well and flexes into the cork with a fish on. I was pleasantly surprised how light in hand it felt. All in all, a very nice all around 5 wt.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Here are a couple of photos:

Thanks for looking!

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

An HI Princess, Hardy Perfect, and silk line. The little black stonefly hatch is on!

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

driftless angler wrote:
01/15/23 21:33
January 7th was the Wisconsin trout opener.....Anyway, sorry for the novel.

Greg, thank you for the great post -- loved it. Glad you're getting out, I may hit a couple more work days between now and March, that'll be as close to fishing as I'll get until April or even May depending on how much more snow we get the rest of the winter and spring. Up here we're still over 24" on the ground, even with the meltdown we've had the past several days. More snow tomorrow....

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

First outing for 2023 on the Deschutes River, fished with an 8 1/2' 6wt Orvis Battenkill.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I finally got out and broke the ice for the new year. Spent the afternoon on the Gallatin. The water is low and clear at 36 degrees. But the midges were around, and I was able to put the steel to two good rainbows. A must needed outing as am still recovering from rotator cuff surgery on my casting arm. The surgery was back in November and my therapist tells me I'm two weeks ahead of schedule. So out I went. Man did I hurt the next day. :\ But it was worth it. Now for swinging a golf club...... 8)

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Take care big fella.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Thanks Gerard! I hope we connect during a work day. My son talked me into doing the Brule ski race this Saturday, but I hope to get to a few more work days.

Kevin, nice setup and beautiful water!

Mark, glad the shoulder held up!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”