"Caramelized" Onions?

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

"Caramelized" Onions?

Post by bassman »

I've been adding fried onions to my meals for years and years. I've been known to slice up a big onion, fry it with butter, garlic, seasoning salt, and nothing else. Just onion. These onions are fried to fairly transparent for the most part but I've been reading occasionally about "Caramelized" onions with a meal. What is this? I know I could google but let's see who can help me understand this here first.

Nick

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: "Caramelized" Onions?

Post by flyslinger »

Nick, that is where you cook onions, preferably Vidalia's or another sweet variety, over a lower heat until the natural sugars begin to turn golden brown, or caramelize. Note, not burn, but even golden brown color. Yum on a burger or just about any type of meat.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Cook the sliced onion slowly until the sugars in the onion caramelize. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/caramelized-onions
Walt

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Yep, I'm used to frying at high heat and stirring a lot until white goes out of onion. After all these years I may have to try low heat and see if I can make 'em look the high priced restaurants do.

Thanks

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Here's a tip. Open a beer when you start. About the time you finish your third beer the onions should be done.
Vern

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

jvh, if I opened a beer, then had a couple of more, I'd be on my way to the liquor store and my second divorce. How about I stick to diet coke. Two of those should be plenty of time since they don't go down as fast as my beer USED to. :lol

SLFletcher
Sport

Post by SLFletcher »

Caramelized onions are AWESOME on mashed potatoes as well!! You can dump them and the butter in which they were sautéed on the mashed potatoes or simply let your dinner guests dish out what they want from a side dish. The later is for those few who don't like onions such as a nephew of mine!

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Post by PA Limestoner »

carmelized onions are simple to make if you follow these rules

1. Use a metal skillet pan, preferably with low sides. Avoid non stick pans as carmelization is very difficult.
2. Use a high fat butter such as Plugra so there is less water to cook off.
3. Cut the onions into a large slice or large chop. You want to cook these low and slow for a long time for the
wonderful browning to occur. If the browning starts to adhere to the bottom of the pan, you can add a little
bit of water or stock to release.

A local eatery puts carmelized red onion on their grilled steak or chicken salads - to die for. Enjoy

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Okay, so anyone got a rough time frame? 3 beers is so variable a timing. For me that used to be about 10 minutes or so, for my wife that was a weekend. I understand it's an eyeball and keep watch over them things but roughly are we talking these take 10 minutes? 30 minutes? Hour?

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

bassman wrote:Okay, so anyone got a rough time frame? 3 beers is so variable a timing. For me that used to be about 10 minutes or so, for my wife that was a weekend. I understand it's an eyeball and keep watch over them things but roughly are we talking these take 10 minutes? 30 minutes? Hour?
It takes about 45 min. or so. But allow an hour.
Vern

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

bassman wrote:Okay, so anyone got a rough time frame? 3 beers is so variable a timing. For me that used to be about 10 minutes or so, for my wife that was a weekend. I understand it's an eyeball and keep watch over them things but roughly are we talking these take 10 minutes? 30 minutes? Hour?
Depends on how many onions, temp, pan, etc. I don't think in terms of how long, honestly, as the sugar content in the onions will vary and affect the timing. When they're done, they're done. Use a heavy bottomed skillet, like a clad skillet. Cast iron works, but I prefer stainless, personally. I also use a wooden spoon, when possible. Start off low, but when the onions are translucent, you can turn it up a bit to get extra color/flavor. Use real butter, not oil, not anything. Butter. No salt until the end, if at all. Fresh cracked pepper is nice when cooked into it, but go easy, as the flavors will concentrate. Use way more onion than you think you'll need, too, as they shrink like hell. For burgers or steaks, figure an entire onion per person. For French Onion soup, more like 1.5 onions per person. Plus, you're going to spend the time doing it, might as well have leftovers, as they reheat well. Here's a couple examples of different stages. The light is great. The dark is ethereal! :hat Have fun with it! And you can freeze them, assuming you have any left. Just put them in a zip loc and squeeze out the air before closing. If you really want to go nuts, deglaze with a little red wine, or sherry (if you want a little sweetness). A few drops of truffle oil, and we're off to the races!

Cheers,
Jaime
"Custom Made Silk Fly Lines, Tenkara and Furled Leaders, Hand Made in the USA"

Doug Murdoch
Master Guide
Location: Ormstown, Quebec, about 20 miles North of the NYS border and the Adirondacks.

Post by Doug Murdoch »

Next, how about roasted garlic? Divine mixed into mashed potatoes.
'Study to be quiet'.

Wyfish
Guide

Post by Wyfish »

Butter, a little diced roasted garlic and about 25 or 30 minutes.

Don't worry about freezing the leftovers. We've never had any.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”