Opinions on Steve Kiley Rods

Question and answers concerning makers and manufacturers of bamboo fly rods.

Moderator: Titelines

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Opinions on Steve Kiley Rods

Post by Caneghost »

I am interested in learning what people think about Steve Kiley rods. I understand he used Dickerson and Leonard tapers and made quality rods.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Opinions on Steve Kiley Rods

Post by Short Tip »

I sold a few rods for Steve right around the turn of the century. The tapers and workmanship were first rate.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I never cast a Kiley made rod, but I still like to look at his beautiful inlay work. I’ve read more than once of other great rodmakers speaking highly of his rods. AJ Thramer and Mike Brooks come to mind.

Jake

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Steve made very nice rods. I had the opportunity to spend a little time in Steve's shop several years ago when I purchased his gang saw. For a period of time, Steve was making blanks for Orvis. When this arrangement came to a close he no longer had a use for it, and I was able to acquire it. About the same time, I had the opportunity to cast and fish a few of his rods, and I would recommend them to anyone. Who knows, if you have ever fished a later production Orvis rod it may well have been made on a blank produced by Steve.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Steve's rods were first-class. I owned two of his rods, one made with his signature and one that he made for Orvis. Both were immaculately finished and cast well. I had to let them go for financial reasons but wish I had them back today.

troutcreek
Guide

Post by troutcreek »

Steve Kiley was a gifted rod maker with a good eye to detail. He was mentored by some of the best west coast rod makers and worked hard improving his skills. I own an 8’ hollowed 6 wt. Kiley that is a very nice rod.
Taper wise, you are on track, Dickerson, Leonard, F.E. Thomas, Gillum, Hardy were the basis for many of his rods but he also developed his own tapers. Note, that I have some. or all of Steve’s taper, build, and finish formula notes for reference.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I thank you all for your pleasant replies. I will look forward to becoming acquainted with one of Mr. Kiley's rods.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

WCTC was one of Steve's neighbors, he can give you a lot of insight to the genius of Kiley.

I was within 15 minutes of Steve and dropped in on him numerous times. He wasn't excited about the repetition, but always looking to do something different/better. His ammonia toning could match heddon, he played with pressing hardware. I loved to watch him at the lathe, made his own collets, modified a HF lathe to use a digital micrometer, and he scratched his math on anything handy.

When he was done with something like sandpaper or a cutoff he would literally drop it on the floor, ask Joe how many times he cleaned up the place :)

One of the first bamboo rods that brought a smile to my face was one of Steve's 4wts out on the street in front of his place.

I've owned several SK's, and have one left with his hardware.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

I feel so wonderful about Royce's words, and the others. I was in with Steve from the first. While I hate to think about it, my SK 7.5 #6/5 is OK to the right person. After the wreck, I can't cast worth much anymore. My old WMG and British coarse fish rod are OK, but the other nice ones, I can't control like I should.

I love my SK rod. One day, Steve said, "here, try this one. I think it will fit you." And after I did the precision casting he "demanded," he just gave it to me. It was on the cover of "Fly Fishing & Fly Tying" so many years ago.

Steve Kiley made good rods. He only really wanted to go to the Metolius to let people use them. I almost want to cry thinking about those hundreds of hours in his shop {and yes, I really know a lot about the Orvis rods, I did a lot of the mids and butts}.

Once he told me I was exaggerating on the time I spent in his shop {less the cleaning and emptying the 50 gallon barrel I gave him to fill since I had a pickup}. So, I showed him my little log books for three steelhead rods he custom made for a Washington angler and friends. My direct labor in those three was 84 hours.

Fortunately, while Steve passed early, as was the "custom / habit" of the men on both sides of his bloodline, he had arranged, and arranged with me for his righteous equipment to go to the "right" people. Those were sad times; the loading out. When the mill left, I called and was assured there were enough people so I didn't go down the hill.

These are my words; not enough about a good man and a good rod maker. Joe Beelart here.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I can't say anything about his rods, since I only saw pictures and heard good things, but I did some PM'ing with him about some rod making processes, and he couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. He was extremely knowledgeable. It's upsetting he's gone.

Jay Edwards

Tom Bowden

Post by Tom Bowden »

Back in the early 2000's, I attended a bamboo casting event in Salem, OR. My table was next to Steve's. He was a really nice guy and made beautiful, great casting rods, especially useful for PNW fishing. I remember a couple of people liked a 7'9" modified PHY Para-14 that I had made, and were interested in buying one. I explained that I was an amateur rod maker with only a few years of experience, didn't sell rods, and they would be much better off having Steve make one to my spec's. I gave Steve the taper, and hopefully he eventually got an order.

Tom Bowden
Lacey, WA

Wyfish
Guide

Post by Wyfish »

Kiley 8' 7wt Dickerson taper #02071
I bought it used as a small streamer rod. Got it cheap. In fact, I paid doodley-squat. Steve emailed me and asked how I liked it. "Fine. Pretty rod. Good bones."
"Good," he said. "I'm glad."

I never did figure out how he found out that I had bought it. It has danced with some nice, nice fish. Thanks, Steve.

J.B. I didn't know you were so tight with Mr. Kiley. I am sorry for your loss.

jhcoffeebum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhcoffeebum »

I just bought a two piece 2/2 Steve Kiley rod blank with ferrules. The rod is marked S. Kiley 7’ 4oz on one flat, Stone Rod Co. on the second flat and 7’ 4wt on the third flat.

Does this look like Steve’s markings?
But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

John Prine

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

That looks to me like Dennis DStone made a rod based off Steve Kiley's taper.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

+1 on a Dennis Stone blank.
Steve had terrible handwriting so he used a mechanical writer to mark his rods.

jhcoffeebum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhcoffeebum »

I emailed Dennis and he said it was a rod he built but someone else did the writing.
But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

John Prine

Return to “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”