Grinding coffee beans

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Re: Grinding coffee beans

Post by Capt. Frank »

My favorite was Millstone's Colombian Supremo, unfortunately, it is no longer available. After several years, I am still looking for a replacement I like as much.

SpeyDragon

Post by SpeyDragon »

Kicking Horse - Kick Ass
Raven's Brew - Ebony Pearl

Both are French Roast.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

I purchase fresh roasted coffee beans, 12 ounces at a time every two weeks. I use a larger burr grinder just before brewing. Brew with an Aeropress or a glass funnel pore-over one cup at a time. For the last year or so I have been using Ethiopia Yirgacheffe beans. Makes for a good cup of joe!

Chased
Guide

Post by Chased »

Peales wrote:I purchase fresh roasted coffee beans, 12 ounces at a time every two weeks. I use a larger burr grinder just before brewing. Brew with an Aeropress or a glass funnel pore-over one cup at a time. For the last year or so I have been using Ethiopia Yirgacheffe beans. Makes for a good cup of joe!

You're speaking my language! Do you have a favorite roaster you get your beans from? I've been enjoying Onyx, S&W, and Calico (local).

putemback
Guide

Post by putemback »

Peet's Major Dickason and a French press. Excellent combination.
Justin

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."-Bill Murray

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Chased,
I use one of two local coffee merchants here in Minneapolis. The Roastery(imports for wholesale business and does some roasting w/local sales) and Spyhouse(small coffee shop chain).
What kind of beans are you into besides the Ethiopian?
-P

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Peales wrote:...12 ounces at a time every two weeks.
Uh-oh.... I see the depth of my depravity now. I go through a pound every 10 days! ::)

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

BrownBear wrote:
Peales wrote:...12 ounces at a time every two weeks.
Uh-oh.... I see the depth of my depravity now. I go through a pound every 10 days! ::)
Any of you boys get really busy and totally miss out on that morning cuppa? I've done that a couple of times over the past year and got this headache that lasted ALL DAY!!!

Don't they call that "addiction"??? Am I alone?

Geez.

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

thegubster wrote: Don't they call that "addiction"??? Am I alone?

Geez.
Oh, you have lots of company. It's so overt, my brother reports being asked if he was a coffee drinker and how much at the start of a hospital stay. Though they couldn't let him have coffee in his skimpy meals, they did provide him with his daily caffeine dose in the form of a tablet.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

BrownBear, I go through around 8lbs of beans per month. Mayorga is an excellent roaster, in fact this is coffee day and if you use the code COFFEE29 you get 29% off your order and orders over $25 ship free. Today I got 9 lbs, two 2 lb packs of different beans and 1 5 lbs pack.

Mayorga uses wind and solar power for their energy source and there’s no middleman since the owner works directly with the grower unless the grower uses a co-op then he and his wife work with both since they visit the farms and help with making improvements where they can to get the best yield of their beans.
banjo

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

fishnbanjo wrote:BrownBear, I go through around 8lbs of beans per month. Mayorga is an excellent roaster, in fact this is coffee day and if you use the code COFFEE29 you get 29% off your order and orders over $25 ship free. Today I got 9 lbs, two 2 lb packs of different beans and 1 5 lbs pack.

Mayorga uses wind and solar power for their energy source and there’s no middleman since the owner works directly with the grower unless the grower uses a co-op then he and his wife work with both since they visit the farms and help with making improvements where they can to get the best yield of their beans.
banjo
Thanks, I ordered some Mayorga java to try and i used the COFFEE29. I'm always on the look out for great tasting coffee.

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

fishnbanjo wrote:BrownBear, I go through around 8lbs of beans per month. Mayorga is an excellent roaster, in fact this is coffee day and if you use the code COFFEE29 you get 29% off your order and orders over $25 ship free. Today I got 9 lbs, two 2 lb packs of different beans and 1 5 lbs pack.

banjo
That's very good to know! I've bookmarked their site as well as this thread. When we get settled into Florida for the winter next month, I'll be availing myself.

Good to have too, because my "new" source got pretty well whacked. Close friends moved to the big island in Hawaii and we had a salmon exchange arranged for beans from their 5 acre grove. But the volcano had things to say about our plans....

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Whenever we’re in L.A. visiting my sister-in-law (and Flykuni) I pick up a pound of Urth Caffe Manhattan Mudd. It’s organic, smooth, dark roast and lower in acid than other coffees, which my stomach appreciates. You can order it on line.

Doug Murdoch
Master Guide
Location: Ormstown, Quebec, about 20 miles North of the NYS border and the Adirondacks.

Post by Doug Murdoch »

Just don't use the same grinder for blending dubbing for tying your flies. Ptooey.
'Study to be quiet'.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

If you know anyone in New Mexico, have them send you some Pinon (pronounced peeen yown {long O}) Coffee beans. I've been grinding my own beans since 1977. I have found that keeping the coffee beans in the freezer until you are ready to grind them, makes for a better cup of coffee. It's the oil in the coffee bean that gives you the flavor, and keeping it in the freezer, or ground coffee in an air tight jar in the fridge, keeps it from drying out. Next time you go to a coffee shop, watch how the waitresses fill up several filters with grounds and then set them set out next to the coffee maker. Ever wonder how dry the grounds get, or if the stack ever gets rotated? When I go to a coffee shop for breakfast and see that, I ask for hot tea! Another bonus is that when you grind and use gourmet coffee beans, you rarely get an acid stomach from the coffee.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Another Costco brand worth trying is the Kirkland Costa Rica coffee beans. It's a dark roast blend and it's REALLY GOOD! It might be our favorite coffee now. A 3 pound bag costs less than $18. Can't go wrong with that.
Brian

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Heddon20 wrote:Another Costco brand worth trying is the Kirkland Costa Rica coffee beans. It's a dark roast blend and it's REALLY GOOD! It might be our favorite coffee now. A 3 pound bag costs less than $18. Can't go wrong with that.
Good reco. Thanks! We're building a Costco list right now.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

I read an article a while back that said dark roast coffee may help prevent alzheimers. Unfortunately, I can never remember to buy it when I'm at the store. ;)

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

I’m grinding my beans with this, these days.

All set for when the grid goes down. ;)

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

spruce grouse wrote:I’m grinding my beans with this, these days.

All set for when the grid goes down. ;)
Aww man, the Armstrong grinder. I'd love to have one of those, even if "the General"s kitchen space is at a premium.

I get in enuff trouble as it is... Nice choice Spruce!!

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”