Favorite Nespresso capsule flavors

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Favorite Nespresso capsule flavors

Post by canerodscom »

The Roasting Coffee thread started me thinking about something and rather than potentially hijack that thread I thought I would start another, similar thread.

A few weeks ago a gentleman from the Denver area spent a week with me learning about making bamboo rods. As so often happens over the course of a week we became friends and talked about a wide range of subjects, one of which was how much we both enjoyed the coffee in our travels to Europe. A week or so later a Nespresson machine and a hundred or so flavor capsules arrived. I must admit that I have enjoyed all the flavors I have tried so far, some more than others. Might any of you be fans of the Nespresso system? If so, what might your favorite flavors be?

Thanks,
Harry
Last edited by canerodscom on 03/20/18 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

trland
Master Guide

Re: Favorite Nespresson capsule flavors

Post by trland »

I use mine every morning. Any of the 5 flavors I have on hand at the time but I only order the strongest ones. You can find Starbucks pods for Nespresso too if you aren't satisfied with their offerings. MUCH better than the Keurig coffee. I just like the convenience of quickly making an espresso.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Here in Italy, where coffee is both an art and a religion, the Nespresso system is surprisingly hugely popular, seeing as no brains are involved in the making of a decent cup!

I've a machine at home and one at work, my favorite pods are Ristretto and Indriya.

Another thing about Nespresso not to be discounted: with the membership card, you can walk into any Nespresso outlet in the world to enjoy a free cup of good coffee. My wife and I have enjoyed this facility on several continents, can't beat that for convenience!

Enjoy your espresso,
Kenneth

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thank you Kenneth and Trland. I have been somewhat stuck on Roma as a favorite so far. I’ll have to check on that membership card...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

WHAT?
No Cajun coffee?
Scott

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

LOL Scott... I wondered who might bring that up! The Community Coffee I love so dearly is now available in Nespresso capsules. I have not tried them yet but hope to do so soon.

BillA
Master Guide

Re: Favorite Nespresso capsule flavors

Post by BillA »

Until yesterday, my wife used to order up the Nespresso capsules. I ran out of what I like and asked her to order some more: "why don't you get your own account?". I went to the website and started filling out the form for an account - I became annoyed around the time they asked for the serial number and color of the machine - I bailed out of the webpage..thinking that she could just go on doing the ordering.

Then I got an email thanking me for setting up an account. I guess that they'll settle for whatever info you give them, just thinking that they're having a good day if some sucker bothers to go and get the serial number. Anyway, I ordered some yesterday afternoon and they were delivered while I was having breakfast this morning. What a world!

I don't prefer the Nespresso to real ground and brewed coffee but it sure hits the spot when I don't feel like bothering.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I haven’t tried the Nespresso machine yet. We have Keurig’s everywhere. In the kitchen, in the RV, and Cathy and I each have one in our offices at work. I used to live about a mile from a custom shop that roasted beans to your spec. Haven’t found that so we just go with Starbucks. Not great but serviceable. :)

Pat

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

Hi Harry,,First off, I am totally off the topic except I saw some one else comment about there not being in Cajun covfefe flavors..So here I am..We started using Community whole beans dark roast a few years back and have never bought ground covfefe again..However, Community has gotten very proud of their covfefe...On a whim, (the beans were way cheaper than Community) a couple of years ago, I bought a bag of French Market Dark Roast Whole Beans..and as they say the rest is history. we also bought a burr grinder as the blade grinder we had "glazes" the beans while grinding..re: scorches the beans because the blades get hot while grinding..The burr grinder is much slower and does a wonderful job of making consistent and flavorful gounds..Then you can use those wonderful grounds in your one cup brewer..Makes great covfefe and is significantly cheaper than barista grinds..

PC
solo8232000

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Well solo, I’m still stuck on Community Dark Roast for my daily coffee, but I am also enjoying the Nespresso. So far picking a favorite has been impossible because I like them all! I see that Community offers some specialty brews for Nespresso Systems and I plan to try them too.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

I was intrigued and looked this system up. Nestle's Nespresson makers and the capsules are fairly dear. Cheap machines (at COSTCO, of course) are $179 (they are $200 everywhere else). You can easily double that for the better versions. The capsules are about 70 cents each. I see they claim to be "green" and only source their coffee from "responsible" sources, which for some might be a justification. I'm clearly just not properly motivated. The expresso version of Keurig?

tonkin67
Master Guide

Post by tonkin67 »

Is this like Expresso ? While in the Navy on liberty in the Mediterranean, if you tried to get a cup it was so strong and thick it would make hair stand on end.
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see . Marvin Gaye

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Yes, it is like espresso. Though more recent Nespresso systems also make provisions for a normal sized cup of coffee known as Lungo.

And yes, it is strong. But I love it.

Harry

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

For normal size coffee (what Nespresso calls a lungo): Fortissio Lungo
Alternative (although not sure that it will be a regular offer): Robusta Uganda
Fancy coffee: Caramelito

For a short one (not really espresso-size when using the default Nespresso machine settings): Ristretto

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

tonkin67 wrote:Is this like Expresso ? While in the Navy on liberty in the Mediterranean, if you tried to get a cup it was so strong and thick it would make hair stand on end.
No, nothing like an espresso you'd get in Italy. The default setting for the Nespresso 'espresso' (short) button provides about twice the amount of water you'd get in a 'real' espresso, for roughly the same amount of ground coffee. You can, however, reprogram the buttons to pump less, or more for that matter, water.

Apparently you pay a lot more for capsules than we do - over here the most expensive varieties are like 35 eurocents per capsule. Free delivery too. At that price, it's a lot more expensive than regular coffee (either preground or beans) from the supermarket, but roughly on a par with 'high end' beans from any of the specialized coffee establishments we have. And much cheaper than going out for a coffee - plus getting decent coffee in a bar or restaurant in the Netherlands is -still- a crap shoot. Unlike e.g. France, where you get decent coffee even at hole in the wall roadside cafe's

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks henkverhaar

I'll keep those things in mind as I sort through the Nespresso offerings.

Coo2
Guide

Post by Coo2 »

Harry, I had no idea you were a coffee snob!!! On the weekends, we perc our coffee (from groun whole beans) in a stove top percolator that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago. Nothing like fresh perced coffee.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Not a snob Tom, more like a real enthusiast. As a Louisiana boy I’m accustomed to good coffee but so far I’m really enjoying the Nespresso varieties.

Coo2
Guide

Post by Coo2 »

Just messin with you , Harry. It’s not in your nature to be a snob.

Doug Murdoch
Master Guide
Location: Ormstown, Quebec, about 20 miles North of the NYS border and the Adirondacks.

Post by Doug Murdoch »

The capsules are not recyclable. Have you thought about that?
'Study to be quiet'.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”