E.F. Payne Rod. Co. "Fishing" catalogue.

History of the E.F. Payne Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Payne Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

E.F. Payne Rod. Co. "Fishing" catalogue.

Post by hoagy b carmichael »

Hello gentelmen:

I know that I am supposed to know the answer to this, but can anyone here definatively confirm that the gray, small catalogue with the boy and the word "Fishing" came before the green one? That has always been my guess/belief, but I have no proof. I think they were published in the mid-'30s, but I don't have proof of that either. And, lastly, did the gray catalogue come in a gray envelope? The green one did.

Can anyone on this forum convincingly shed light on this question? I have both catalogues, and they are sweet Payne collectables with style befitting of the Payne name.

Thank you.

Hoagy

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Re: E.F. Payne Rod. Co. "Fishing" catalogue.

Post by fishnbanjo »

Hoagy,
I have seen a trifold catalog, one I have in my collection, a White one that has the young fisherman with the straw hat, which I don’t have and the light blue-grey one, also one I don’t have, there are 3 green ones that I list the dates on, the first has Frank as VP, the second has his wife Helen and the third I can’t remember at the moment but I’m sure you know when Helen Oram (sic) left the company.

I am not certain where the trifold fits but I was always under the assumption the White one was first followed by the blue-grey one then the green ones until they went to the larger white ones, I hope to someday have them all and keep searching, hope you are well.
banjo

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

Banjo:

My thanks for your reply.

I, too, have the trifold catalogue, but have NEVER seen a white version of the boy "Fishing." Darn, there is something else Payne that has avoided me. The blue-grey is much harder to find than the various been examples, but a white "Fishing" catalogue, which must have been the first, is new to me.

I wish I knew what I should know...

Hoagy

Jamie Bendelius
Sport

Post by Jamie Bendelius »

Hoagy,

Off the top of my head is that the Trifold is from 1926 and the grey catalog is 1930. I do have the green ones as well as one with all of Jim Payne's penciled in changes for the 50's catalog and some printing blocks for the early catalogs such as the rod printing blocks. The grey had a grey envelope and the green ones had green envelopes but using up inventory as needed was part of life so there no doubt be a mix and match. I am sure I have a white one but to confirm I will have to get down to the farm to see them.

Jamie
"Going fishing can f-up a good day of fishing." - Jamie Bendelius

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

Jamie:

Good to know that the grey catalogue had a grey envelope. It makes sense, yet I don't think I have seen one.

I am curious if you have any proof that the grey catalogue came out in 1930. Of course, you may be correct, but is there anything you have that substantiates that belief?

Just found a 197 that is a WF5 dream to cast. A ca. 1958-60 rod, and complete in every respect. When I fish around the bend it will be with me.

Hoagy

Jamie Bendelius
Sport

Hoagy,

I was able to get out to the farm and went through our collection of Payne catalogs. I then verified the dates with Walt Carpenter. I was wrong regarding a white one as I confused that with one of the zillion other catalogs we have in our collection. I hope the following helps.

As the Payne catalogs came to light:

1920 The Little Red Workshop a-Top the Hill
1925 Tri-fold
1928 Grey catalog
1935 Green (Helen Oram) with the 7'9" Parabolic listed
1940 Green with all the parabolics
1948 Price list
1951 Collins' catalog
1976 Gladding (Walt)
1978 Walt

Congratulations on the 197. They truly are a sweet little fish pole.

I just finished cutting a Hewitt Circular Bend Rod on the Thomas beveler and I still need to cook and glue. This will be the 5th HCB made as there were two by Payne and two by Walt Carpenter. Hewitt truly knew about actions and the one I have used is an absolutely superb fishing rod. Hopefully this one will measure up as I used Thomas cane instead of Payne cane.

If you need anything else, please email, and best to all.

Jamie

hoagy b carmichael
Guide

Jamie:

Many thanks for that clarification. I will only dispute the "1951" date for that catalogue, as I have letter, dated late 1951, from an author of one of the articles in the catalogue and editorial changes from "Sparse" that refer to the article text. I suggest to all that will listen that the "51" catalogue was actually published in 1952.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Hoagy

Jamie Bendelius
Sport

Hoagy,

You are correct regarding the Collins' version. The error was a typo on my part and I apologize.

Jamie

Return to “E.F. Payne Rod Co.”