Turn your Kettle grill into a smoker

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Turn your Kettle grill into a smoker

Post by Flykuni3 »

Love all these posts, as I am a noob to the smoking world. Thanks fellas.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

After a near fail this past weekend, I recommend staying away from Weber branded charcoal. It is much slower to lite and did not work in my usual snake method. I regularly use Kingsford standard, not the professional for great results. The professional burns faster and hotter, which is not what you want!

novisor12
Guide

Post by novisor12 »

I got a slow and sear as a gift this year and it's very nice. Much easier to smoke on then a side rail. I think its worth the money.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

What's a slow and sear?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Three smoking sessions later, I yam happy w my results, improving ea time. It’s a new toy, ribs n chicken yummm.

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

Yes - I agree with the advice to just spend that "kit money" on a Weber 'Smokey Mountain' smoker.
They come in three sizes, 14", 18", 22". Most people (including me) use the 18", but those who smoke really BIG briskets, appreciate the 22".
There is common advice out there to NOT use your beef/pork smoker to cook fish, poultry, hot dogs, etc. I guess it jacks with the "flavor patina"?
I've thought about buying the 14" to dedicate to chicken and fish...

But for now, I slow-cook chicken/fish on my Weber Kettle. Just set all the coals pushed to one side, and meat on the other. I don't worry too much about stable temps like I do with longer (12hr plus) smokes of Beef/Pork. Works fine. No 3rd-party accessory "kits" needed.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Agree with the suggestion to get a separate smoker for fish. That is exactly what I did. I bought a Masterbuilt vertical propane gas smoker a few years ago when HD had them on sale and that smoker is used for fish only. I use the 18" WSM for everything else.

I think the 18" WSM is the best size for most people. The only real downside is that it is difficult to fit more than 2 full size slabs of ribs in there. I use a rib rack and that helps.
Brian

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
06/01/21 19:16
After a near fail this past weekend, I recommend staying away from Weber branded charcoal. It is much slower to lite and did not work in my usual snake method. I regularly use Kingsford standard, not the professional for great results. The professional burns faster and hotter, which is not what you want!
Give Royal Oak Classic a try (the Ridge Charcoal sold @ Lowes is the same stuff). That's all I use in the WSM. It has a nice aroma and doesn't burn as hot as Kingsford standard.
Brian

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I pulled the trigger on a Pit Barrel Cooker after posting earlier in this thread and I haven't looked back. While not a true smoker it functions like one but the cooks are faster. I can slow it down by managing the vents which on bigger cuts is a good idea. I've cooked brisket 3-4 times, pork butts, ribs, chicken more times than I can count, and the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey last year. It was among my best cooking investments after my carbon steel woks and wok burner. Check out the smoke ring on the first brisket I smoked.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Good looking brisket. Ironically, I went to a party last night and they some brisket appetizers. Mighty tasty.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”