SMITH Pentalux --- www.pentaluxrods.com ---

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: SMITH Pentalux --- www.pentaluxbamboo.com ---

Post by Pentalux »

There was an S4 Pentalux at the Rodmakers Gathering in Grayling - heard it was liked but no specifics yet.... Continuing to test models and tapers.

Last edited by Pentalux on 02/10/18 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

gooseberryrods
Master Guide

Post by gooseberryrods »

Dear Pentalux,

I am curious as to which test you performed to cause the failure you have shown?

Thank You.

Scott

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Hi Scott - Was testing the limits of a hollow reel seat section which unfortunately failed actually at a point ABOVE the change from solid cane to the hollow seat with A LOT less force than initially anticipated - as reference the handle was then broken to compare the relative force required to break it in the first place. I will probably use this technique for the Catskills rodmakers challenge rod which initiated the idea for me in the first place however will NOT use a burled seat as the grain needs to be very consistent I think for this to work best - will use a different epoxy too.... Also to note - will certainly NOT do this with my standard rods as I run the cane to the end of the section as this is definitely a potential failure point but building a 3.6 oz WF6 is thus far a true challenge for me. My S4 is 7'4" and is basically designed to cast a DT4 - it weighs 3.6 oz's complete.... - I have a ways to go on this challenge rod for sure. Will you be entering a rod? Thanks for your question.
Best Regards, Rob
P.S. - Here are a few more test pic's.

butt section did not fare so well HOWEVER this was bending just the butt section all the way around into a circle too - the complete rod did not fracture or fail AT ALL when put under same stress....

Last edited by Pentalux on 02/10/18 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

gooseberryrods
Master Guide

Post by gooseberryrods »

Rob,

I can see why the section broke where it did. Have you ever tried splicing in a section of glass under the grip and running it out to the end of the seat to cut down on weight? I tried it once and the rod felt considerably lighter in hand. although I did not take before and after weight measurements.

I will not be entering a rod as I am a hobbyist with time to build just one or two rods a year...which is just the way I like it:)

Good luck and thank you for your explanation and pictures.

Scott

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

Just for everyone's information Rob's rod was one of six entered in the "Rod Evaluation" program at Grayrock last week.
The six rods were blindly evaluated by a panel of accomplished casters. The rod was the only one evaluated with the highest marks by all six members of the panel.
May be someone that was more intimately involved with the program will chime in.

Edit: I posted before reading all three pages of this post. I am not sure which of Ron's pentalux rods was evaluated. Can someone enlighten us?

bob4st
Sport

Post by bob4st »

...some of the best threads/pics I've read in quite a while... keep em coming!!... Thanks...
Bob

Miss Valk

Post by Miss Valk »

Hello Rob, has there been any development on your rods? I have been frequenting West Slopes web site, and I have not seen them show up yet on the available list. I am curious when we would start to see some for sale, as I am still very interested. Susan

WestSlope
Guide

Post by WestSlope »

Hello Susan;

Coming Soon :eek Just takes a little time to have the page built and do it right, think of it like a mini website. Take Care!

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

Rick:
PM sent

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

oldfishbrain - Thanks for the notation on the Grayrock Gathering Rod Evaluation. Had hoped someone else might have commented but basically was emailed by the person who tallied the evaluations that:

There were six rods evaluated and yours scored the best. Possible
25 points could be awarded each rod.
Comments
1. 22/25 Elegant, wonderful five sided small stream rod.
2. 23/25 A quick little rod. This rod does everything you would
want a 4
wt. to do.
3. 22/25 Quite flexible but with power. A rod I could fish small
dries
with all day but could cast an attractor or hopper.
4. 23/25 The rod just keeps working!
5. 22/25 I like this rod.
The only area your rod fell down in was roll casting but everyone
agreed it
was not a fair test as we were on grass not water.

That was an S4 rod and I will have it as well as others at the Catskills Gathering this weekend - Hope to have a Challenge rod too but not sure yet as only just glued the ferrules on today - first cast may be AT the CRG Friday...
Should have more detailed information about the rod design and various models available soon at West Slope Classic Fly Tackle.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Will have these models available to cast as well as a few others at this upcoming The Arts of the Angler Show held November 15 &16 in Danbury, CT.

Will have the latest model - the S5 - there too. The prototype is also pictured - a 7 1/2 2/1 5wt.

http://www.pentaluxbamboo.com

Thanks for looking, Rob
Last edited by Pentalux on 02/10/18 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Will be @ Somerset Show w/Ramsey Outdoorstore

Just an update for Pentalux rods - will be at the upcoming January 23,24 &25th Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ.

Finishing up two 7' 4wts cut together w/ identical node spacing, etc.. (finished blanks weights within .01oz of each other) Both cast on the quad flat but one is braced by the hex strips the other by the penta's - interesting results and they will also be at the show.

Will have several rods available on Westslope site starting in January '09 - Will also have a model or two available at Ramsey Outdoor Store in Paramus, NJ.

Thanks for looking!

Pentalux Rods

flyfishing4life
Sport

Post by flyfishing4life »

Hope you dont mind Mr. Smith.... I gave you some press on my blog because I am in love with the concept you have going here. I will hopefully one day own one of your rods. If theres anything wrong let me know and I will remove the blog post.

Blitzen
Guide

Post by Blitzen »

That photo of the stress test on the tip section reminds me of Don Chen. He would do something similar at the Metolius Fly Fair with a full rod. We'd all just cringe. I think he finally broke it after several episodes over time, but it definitely solidified my trust in the shear/compression strength of glue joints and the integrity of bamboo fibers even when stressed way beyond any normal conditions. Your rod designs sound very intriguing. I'm always impressed by the people on this board. The vision and precision that goes into your work is very inspiring.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

I would love to have a chance to cast one, some day. More bamboo power fibers; less glue. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Latest Case
Last edited by Pentalux on 02/10/18 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

First Saltwater Rod
Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Pentalux on 02/10/18 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

WestSlope
Guide

Post by WestSlope »

Makoi Ohelani Noho'ana

What a beauty!!! We shall now put her through the Big Bone Test :eek

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Thrilled to be included in upcoming issue of Japan's Fly Fishing Magazine - wish I could read it! Thanks again to Coach Duff, Rick Sorenson and Kenny Matsuda - you guys are the best!! Coach - another rods on the way - let me know -- its lighter but stiffer...
Last edited by Pentalux on 02/10/18 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Rob,

best of luck with your upcoming surgery

Jeff

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”