SMITH Pentalux --- www.pentaluxrods.com ---

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

tonkin67
Master Guide

Re: SMITH Pentalux --- www.pentaluxbamboo.com ---

Post by tonkin67 »

I am fortunate to have one of Robs rods. It is one of the sweetest casting rods I've ever cast. When I let people cast it they don't want to give it back.
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see . Marvin Gaye

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: SMITH Pentalux --- www.pentaluxrods.com ---

Post by Pentalux »

Thanks to God's Grace, 10 years of Pentalux rods!
Pictures back up (from photobucket loss).

Here's one of latest TEST rods, a 7 1/2' 3wt (total finished weight 2.82 oz):

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Your work is superb! Congrats on the work anniversary.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I like the wrap tipping combination. Nicely done. Congratulations on 10 years.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

The penta can cure your sloppy casting by gently tuning your stroke.

A reliable casting partner under difficult conditions .

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Very impressive Rob.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Looking forward to the 25th Annual Catskills Rodmakers Gathering this weekend. Will be giving a presentation on Nat Uslan and his Uslan rods on Sunday. Have some neat photos (thanks to Jim Uslan) of the old shop and his turret beveler including a few with a young Feierabend... Will be covering all the variations to his rods from his earliest Spencer builds to those finished in North Miami Beach as well as the key to dating them.

Looks like Mike has done a really great job this year - very psyched for several of the programs - with "Smokey D" providing Saturdays dinner no less! Sounds like its going to be one to remember!! Safe travels to all attending!

tonkin67
Master Guide

Post by tonkin67 »

Great looking rod. Hey , what time is it ?
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see . Marvin Gaye

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Believe it's scheduled for Sunday at 9:15am in the Wulff Gallery.

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

Rob, so good to hear the voices from the wilderness raised to praise your work. Fred B

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I got to cast one of Robs rods this year at the Catskill gathering...absolutely fantastic rod! smooth casting with great reserve power! Good guy too

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Latest from the bench. A 765RS taper with oil finish and what will hopefully become the standard oil finish for. It's been over a decade, since the extinction of African Express oil, but believe I am finally back to finishing rods with oil again.
This one market TEST as still need to abuse it a bit to be sure but thus far couldn't be happier with it - even has a UV blocker.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Kudos to Robert for his efforts!!! and the modern section of the GTRS features one of Roberts early rods and it is a prominent part of that part of the display. Keep up the good work Bro!!!

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Rob,
Just noticed this post. What a looker! I look forward to casting it one of these days.

Lon

Pentalux
Master Guide

SMITH Pentalux --- www.pentaluxrods.com ---

Post by Pentalux »

Latest FG (Field Grade) rods: 8'3" 4/5wt oil finished flamed mahogany and a 7 1/2' 5wt hollow-fluted blond w/low sheen oil finish

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Website updated (relative term as still kinda dated looking but); https://www.pentaluxrods.com feedback welcome - will be adding a few rods and reels to the For Sale sections beginning in 2023... Thanks for looking!

Brier549
Guide

Post by Brier549 »

Rob, you continue to make beautiful and sweet casting rods. Your 7’6” 5wt is still at the top of my wish list. Keep up the great work! Mike C.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

It has recently come to my attention that there are many who do not know that I have been blessed with full recovery from my heart issue (end of 2016 had bacterial blood infection, replaced two valves and wall of my heart due to damage from, later complications ie operations, etc) but truly through the grace of God, I have. I can honestly say that at 56 years of age I am in better shape now than I was 10 years ago (wearing jeans from the 90's thanks to Levi's genius eternal style). Sometimes you need a wakeup call. Anyway just wanted to put it out there and please spread the word when appropriate as I have been back building full time since 2020 and God willing, will continue for a few more decades at the bench.

Furthermore: Now offering 5-strip rods built on original Lou Feierabend blanks. Lou was the creator of the famous Super-Z ferrules. These are all pre-embargo rod blanks that he made in the late 40's early 50's. They are mahogany toned and wrapped with red threads and black tipping. Priced to compete with graphite and expand the interest in 5-strip bamboo fly rods and their history. Each rod is serial numbered and come with a quality sock and tube. 2/1 fly rods are $900.00 with 2/2 rods for $1250.00. Also available (as they were marked as) 4' 8" one-piece ultralight spinning rods $550.00 with sock and tube. **Please note that 10% of sales from these rods will be donated to the AMFF** 100% satisfaction guaranteed 3-day inspection upon delivery. Please call or email for latest inventory.

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

Rob, you are a mold breaker.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I purchased one of Rob's "5-strip rods built on original Lou Feierabend blanks" and couldn't be happier. It's an 8ft 7wt cannon. His cosmetics are superb, nothing fancy, but his attention to detail is spot on and his fit and finish is worth every penny. No financial interest on my part, just happy with my purchase. I'm a rodmaker myself, so I considered whether I could do as nice a job as he did and when I examined the important details in his rod, it became clear how much effort I would have to put in to get it this nice and it was just easier to buy it.

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”