Show your Signature Wraps

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Show your Signature Wraps

Post by Flyman615 »

Bottom-of-the-line signature wraps of Granger Victory grade rods. Still handsomely understated and yet interesting, IMO.
Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Housatonic Rods (aka Streamer) 7.5’ 5 wt.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Sig on one of those 7' Edwards-inspired-light-as-a-whisper-Brandin rods. Not mine, sorry to say. It was sent to a Art W. for a look and castsee, and we all drooled.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Flykuni3 wrote:Sig on one of those 7' Edwards-inspired-light-as-a-whisper-Brandin rods. Not mine, sorry to say. It was sent to a Art W. for a look and castsee, and we all drooled.

Very nice!
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

In my opinion, Tim Zietak makes the most comparable quad fly rods when compared to the originals by Bill Edwards. This photo illustrates the signature wraps of two such rods I am proud to own and fish.
Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

How does Brandin get that reddish caramel color to his cane?? Come to think of it the rod color does remind me of the Edward’s Special that Lon posted on this thread a little while ago. Still, that cane of Brandin’s is a deeply fired cane. Thanks for posting that photo Flykuni, and of your Leonard 35, which is a Leonard I don’t think I have heard of before. Rob (Red)!that “Streamer” rod is quite an eye catcher. Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Scott, I really like how the signature wraps on the Granger Victories line up. Posting these signatures has been a very good idea. There are just so many designs to go around. Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Scott, nice quads by Tim. I just bought a 50 quad that Tim restored. He did a really nice job. Jed
Fefferfly

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Jed,
Thanks for your kind words.
The Sedgwick had been restored before I bought it from George Black many years ago. I don't know who did the work, but George said it wasn't him. I believe the Edwards probably also had been restored when I acquired it.
The Payne is original, I believe. The varnish is not in good shape. It's true that his early rods were more elaborate than those his son made later. The wraps resemble those on the Kosmic, not by coincidence, I'm sure. I provided pictures of this rod to Hoagy Carmichael for his book "8," and you can see them in the book.
The Cross, built by Wes Jordan in the early 1920s, was also refinished before I received it.
Lon

fefferje wrote:God Lon, the Sedgwick and Edwards rods are just gorgeous. It looks like Sedgwick was influenced by Edwards or visa versa. Where did you get those 2 rods??? Were they restored???? Is the Edwards a “Perfection”? If we get together again next year you must bring them. Also, the Ed Paynen and Cross Rods have surprisingly elaborate signatures. Ed Payne certainly was much more colorful in that period than the later Payne’s. Do you know if that Ed Payne is an anomaly, or typical of Ed’s Rods. Just stunning rods Lon. I hope we have a gathering next year and you bring all 6 of those rods. This thread has taught me plenty about the creativity of rodmakers when it comes to their signatures. Thanks to all. Thanks for posting those Lon. Jed

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Lon, thanks for the info on the rods. Per Brandin carried the cane color to a new level of “dark”. He’a even intensified the color beyond Edwards darkening, and that Special of yours Lon is quite dark. Jed
Fefferfly

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

fefferje wrote:Scott, nice quads by Tim. I just bought a 50 quad that Tim restored. He did a really nice job. Jed
Jed, I should have been more specific. The top rod in my photo is an original Edwards Quadrate and the bottom, my 7'9" quad by Tim Zietak for comparison purposes.

Scott
Flyman615

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Am not sure how Brandin accomplished that cool red-brown, maybe heat and ammonia/steam, maybe he talks of it on his site. In-person it was very nice and easy on the eyes.
Last edited by Flykuni3 on 11/13/18 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Fefferfly, you are right about Per taking to the darkside. Jamie in the Forum has an exceptionally dark Brandin too. An Ebony ? model. Really neat, and dark. Walt's Mahogany iark too!

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Here's a relative unknown, a 7' 3wt English-made R. Sealey Tudor Lightweight.

I've shown this rod here quite often, it's one of my favorites, and I think its signature wraps are rather pretty.

Kenneth

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

Ray Ashley...

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Kenneth, that Seakey Tudor Lightweight is quite intricate. Than you for that photo.
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Corley, those Ray Ashley wraps are very rich. Can you tell us something about the rod and the maker? Thanks for your post. Jed
Keep the signatures coming folks!
Fefferfly

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Kenneth - that reel looks killer on there too! That older Beaudex is one my top 10 favorite reels...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Did you think that a Union Hardware could be so nice?

Tangiersound
Guide

Post by Tangiersound »

Union hardware? Very nice.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”