Show your Signature Wraps

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Show your Signature Wraps

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Here is my Abercrombie & Fitch Firehole (Phillipson) with a few extra signature wraps securing a splinter that occurred when USPS delivered a bow shaped box! I still need a few more color preserver coats before hitting the hook keeper with varnish

Cheers,
Joe

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

A Leonard Catskill 41 restoration; 8ft, 3-pc, 3-3/8oz. 3/4wt. Final coat of varnish yesterday, it’s still ‘plump’, needs to dry down quite a bit.

Squaw Bend
Guide

Post by Squaw Bend »

Peales wrote:
05/27/23 18:11
A Leonard Catskill 41 restoration; 8ft, 3-pc, 3-3/8oz. 3/4wt. Final coat of varnish yesterday, it’s still ‘plump’, needs to dry down quite a bit.
It’s a pretty fly rod.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Top: Thos. E Wilson Co., "L B Icely", 1924-28
Bot: A&I "Grovant River", ?
Both smack of the post Winchester Edwards shop.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

I know I started this thread some years ago. I thought I would add a couple rods and keep the thread going. The top rod is an FE Thomas Special from between 1903 and 1909. The bottom rod is a Leonard 50 from the early 1920’s. Please continue to post your Signatures!! Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

We started back in November of 2018, so almost 5 years though there plenty of gaps. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Fefferfly

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Thank you for this discussion. I wish more builders used signature wraps. Here is a pic of a Edwards Mount Carmel I used to own and a Edwards replica by A.J. Thramer.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Oxbow, thanks for sharing the Edward’s Mt. Carmel and the AJ Thramer rendition. That Thramer is really striking and what a glimpse into the past the Edward’s affords. Spread the word Oxbow and if you wouldn’t mind sharing your name it would be great. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

fefferje wrote:
09/19/23 12:30
Oxbow, thanks for sharing the Edward’s Mt. Carmel and the AJ Thramer rendition. That Thramer is really striking and what a glimpse into the past the Edward’s affords. Spread the word Oxbow and if you wouldn’t mind sharing your name it would be great. Thanks, Jed
Jed,
I forgot to mention the original Edwards was refinished and so do not know if the refinished signature wraps mirrored the original. Still pretty for my eyes and wish I still had that rod. That Edwards was a 5 weight but the day I caught the fish below I took the wrong reel - a 4 weight - and had one of the best fishing days of my life. That rod cast the 4 weight almost as good as the 5.

This pic was from late 1999 I believe - a camera practice that I stopped doing shortly thereafter.
Doug

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Doug, thanks for sharing your name. Sometimes I find it kind of silly having our “code names” on the Forum. I know folks want to preserve a sense of privacy but hopefully we can still do that and use our real names. That photo you posted is gorgeous. The cutthroat is a collection of textures and colors. Spotted and smooth reds, yellows and pinks on the hill cover, the slash underneath, a silvery forehead. I like how the fish is not beached on the bank, but at least partly submerged in the water. There’s a great composition of river rocks. Then your reel seat blends with the reddish river rocks and those bright, red signature wraps highlight the cutthroat’s belly, while the yellow wraps mirror the yellow on the fish’s gill plate. Even the black reel and the light line mirror the darkest and lightest stones. Is that a Snake River Cutthroat?? Do you live in Wyoming?? Thanks so much for posting that photo. It’s beautifully composed. Keep recording and sharing your adventures. Blessings, Jed
Fefferfly

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Hey all
I'm glad to see this thread on signature wraps started up again. Here are a few photos of signature wraps from a Montague 'Redwing,' pre-fire Leonad 50DF, and a Montague 'Gaspe'.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Thanks Jed,
That was a Montana Cutt and sadly it was back in the day when there were not 3/5 trucks at each put-in and you could fish slow and alone - all day. Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

Beautiful wraps Tspeyfly
Cheers, Doug

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Tspeyfly, thanks for posting and enriching us with the handsome signatures. The Leonard 50 is especially intricate. How many bands of yellow are there?? Do you know what year that 50 was made?? What does the butt cap say?? Would you mind sharing photos of the rest of the rod. I am partial to Leonard’s.
Doug thanks for the story about the cutthroat. It is certainly a gorgeous fish. Best to both of you, Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Doug this drawing by James Prosek reminds me most of the fish you caught. He writes that this strain of cutthroat has been transplanted outside its native range. It is called the Snake River Fine-Spotted Cutthroat Trout. Certainly some features on your fish are different from this one. It’s the fine spots, dark forehead and hill cover that remind me of your fish. Jed
Fefferfly

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Walt Carpenter, on a Thomas Browntone blank.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Godfroy, that Carpenter rod is gorgeous!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

headwaters wrote:
09/21/23 16:26
Godfroy, that Carpenter rod is gorgeous!
Thank you, yes!

I don't normally do signature wraps on my own rods, I prefer a minimalist approach, but looking at that has inspired me to order a reel of red and white Jasper silk.

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

Some lovely examples her and thought I'd support this thread.

While I normally like simple signature wraps, this is a long term project. The old girl is about 100 years old, and will be used on the Firehole in about a week and a half. 8" 3/2 10/16 ferrules. Nice 5wt. Has the classic"Catskill" wrap pattern with intermediates. Was all apparent from the ghosting.

How can you get any more classic this old girl in full dress and original thread colors.

Taper measures out as matching many of the observed Hewitt rods but she seems to be about 10 years older than any catalogue entry I've found for a Hewitt.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Wonderful

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

Thanks Jay!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk