Hardy Silex

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Re: Hardy Silex

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The Silex and other reels were also used by tournament casters on top of the rod for some classes of competition. There were many discussions of various different methods of holding the spool during the initial loading of the rod. The overhead method seemed to be the rising fashion in the first decade of the 20th century. possibly inspired by American methods.

Some advocated locating the reel around 20 inches from the butt similar to where the reel seat would be on a Murdoch, with one hand immediately below the reel and the other holding the extremity of the butt. Imagine fishing like that. This, and the practice of placing the reel at 90 degrees to the rod rings and with the line coming off the wrong way was the way the Hardy brothers set up their rods for casting.

You should read The Fishing Gazette. They were there at the time ;)
Regards,
Clive

I walk the paths where no one goes and cast to fish nobody knows

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Looking way..back, the original poster was asking questions about the Silex reel, and if anyone had experience using them.
Unless any here compete in tournament casting using Silex's, maybe it would be a good idea for us to get back on track..

Mole-Patrol
Sport

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Which is where I came in; adapting a Silex Major to make it more useful to left handed winders and able to be used in some more modern fishing techniques that some anglers may not have considered. Hopefully it might inspire someone to buy one of these old reels and put it to good use, and not just regard them as a collector's item.
Regards,
Clive

I walk the paths where no one goes and cast to fish nobody knows

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Stripped off 2,000 yards of mono... and just found a RIO 7-8-9 Spey line from 1999. Excellent.

Soon I too will feel the pain of knuckles being repeatedly drilled over and over by those handles. Superb.

The sound from this reel is off the charts.

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Hardy Silex Introduced 1896

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Hardy Silex Introduced 1896

Won the Gold Medal in 1900

unique to this Dingley Silex is this striking green jewel in the spindle

Interior shot of toothpick pointing to temporary shim to activate stronger pressure on part

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Classic Reels”