Chasing the Taper - Documentary about bamboo rod making

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Chasing the Taper - Documentary about bamboo rod making

Post by jeffkn1 »

Jan & Mark, Rick, Per, Bobby, Mark, Dana, Dennis, and John:

Well done, very well done.
My better half has cast a fly over fish only one time, a few years back. Every so often, when I sense that her guard is down I'll suggest we watch a fishing-relevant video. A few nights ago, I suggested Chasing the Taper, which had languished on the shelf since its arrival. After all, as long as there's a Harry Potter movie listed on one of the networks, and Lord help us if some miscreant finances an all-Harry Potter network, we'll never want for amusement. But Taper absolutely threw her a curve. When it ended she looked at me and said she wouldn't mind watching it again. And she didn't mean, like, next week. She meant immediately!
So we refreshed our refreshments and did it again, and she looks forward to hitting the replay button in the not-too-distant future.
It seeks not to sell you, nor instruct you about anything. Maybe it's because we're fortunate enough to know some of the cast to a degree ("Hey, isn't that what's-his-name?") that we can relate to the movie. It's satisfying on a different level.
Very well done. Ask Cathie.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I agree, and I watch that film often. Between it and Casting a Spell, they provide much inspiration.

scota

Post by scota »

yes !
It gets re-watched often here. wonderful film.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

It is the most enjoyable fly fishing documentary I have ever seen and none of that inane banjo music that is so frequent in outdoorsy documentaries.

labvis
Sport

Post by labvis »

Just watched it yet again. I believe Per Brandin said it best when he said bamboo rod making is about the people. Seeing the deep appreciation that these men had for those who touched their lives is both heart warming and inspirational. The shared passion for cane takes on an even deeper meaning after getting a glimpse of what makes them truly unique individuals as well as master craftsmen.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

bob2935 wrote:
10/16/22 09:02
It is the most enjoyable fly fishing documentary I have ever seen and none of that inane banjo music that is so frequent in outdoorsy documentaries.
I’ll second that. The hipster trucker hat wearing dude man types are nowhere to be found in this film. The choral piece from Mozart Requiem in the beginning is a little dark but it sure beats the stuff you mentioned.

Return to “Forum Announcements”