Save your bacon grease...

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Save your bacon grease...

Post by ablecane »

Always save the bacon grease.
Not adverse to using lard, either. :)

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

When I was in my early 20's I lived in North Carolina while I attended a furniture making program there. My housemate, another student, was from rural Arkansas. He was just out of high school, so really knew very little about cooking. He would cook a hamburger every day for dinner, Monday thru Saturday. He never washed the pan or drained out the grease. Then on Sunday morning he would fry Poppin Fresh biscuits in the grease, and eat them with eggs, and then wash the pan. I've often wondered if he is still alive.

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

If I want to make my doctor cringe I tell her about one of the dishes I teach the students in my culinary class to make.
Pork belly confit.
Cure the belly overnight then slowly poach it in lard for several hours, chill, cut into slabs and brown it up in a cast iron skillet with bacon fat.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Save your bacon grease... in here. :D

Wolfsbane

Post by Wolfsbane »

You're never to too old to make bad decisions.

mdwwhw wrote:What Brooks said. Would have made a great and accurate tatto, if I was the tatto type or generation.

Minnesota
Guide

Post by Minnesota »

+1 (or more). I have a special pacemaker, my second one. In addition, I also have seven coronary artery stents. Enjoy your bacon grease!

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

If I threw out all of my bacon grease, what would I use for fly floatant?

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

The best French toast is made in bacon grease. Also the best fried eggs.

I make fried rice with bacon and in lieu of the recommended butter I use some of the bacon drippings.

The best thing to fry potatoes in is beef tallow, although I haven't tried bacon grease. Hmm...

Gunpowder Angler
Guide

Post by Gunpowder Angler »

I was doing the Dr. Oz detox, and one of the ingredients that is put into a smoothie is coconut oil. I went to Krogers to buy my ingredients, and next to where the coconut oil was located was bacon grease. Plus, they also had duck fat and lard.

BearBio
Sport

Post by BearBio »

Keep a quart can in the fridge and two tubs of lard outside. Use lard in tamales and bacon grease in scrambled eggs and sausage and gravy, searing pot roast, etc.

Dogs love bread dipped in beacon grease (only if I have enough in the fridge).

Jonesg

Post by Jonesg »

I put it in the cooler and add rolled oats, mold into a ball and freeze, birds like it.
Rendered lard is a lot better to eat than bacon grease.

woody osborne
Guide

store bought bacon grease...

Post by woody osborne »

new product: john gordon's bacon-up
i bought two of them but haven't tried it yet. but you can never have too much bacon grease til there's a fire.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

My parents saved bacon grease in an aluminum container similar to the one pictured earlier, and the grease was sued in many ways to enhance food flavors or the method of cooking. Both parents died in mid=90s, as did my grandparents on both sides.

Like Bassman said in the first post, nothing better than Boundary Waters walleye, fried potatoes , fried onions on a granite rock log fire . And in a cast iron skillet larded with bacon grease. Had it annually every August from 1953 to 1965 and intermittently thereafter.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I always have some one hand for those rare occasions when I need to eat some brook trout. Any fish friend in bacon grease will improve the flavor. The stuff can endure very high heat.

Madman

Post by Madman »

I grew up in a small town in NW Ohio (Hicksville....look it up). There was always a small crock on the back of the stove for the bacon grease. My dad always used the grease for frying eggs and potatoes. The other regular use was for popcorn. You haven't had popcorn until you've had it popped in bacon grease. In my later years, I've discovered Gibble's Snacks (Nibble with Gibble's). Based in Chambersburg, PA, Gibble's potato chips, cheese puffs and popcorn are made with bacon lard. They are only sold locally in stores but are also available on Amazon. The best way to get them though is by making the occassional fly fishing sojourns to Central PA, north, south and/or right in the middle. Great trout water everywhere.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

PYochim wrote:
04/24/19 19:15
My dad had bacon & eggs for breakfast every morning. He died at 87 and had normal cholesterol and HDL/LDL ratios.
My dad pulled out the cast iron frying pan, fried his bacon in it, then his eggs and finally his bread. He made it to 94. My mother did none of these things and she made it to 94. So............
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Pfphantom Pfisherman
Master Guide

Post by Pfphantom Pfisherman »

Love it!!
For those who make their own vinaigrettes, try bacon grease
In lieu of bottled oils.
It’s to die for!!

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

somewhat off topic: just got a meal from local company's cafeteria -chicken legs, mac & cheese and green beans. though i smelled bacon when i went in. figured they were fixing breakfast. nope. they put strips of bacon in the green beans. got to love being in the south.

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

I have always saved it for cooking and dipping my biscuits in . Good stuff.
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”