Sante Fishing Banjo Giuliani Has passed .

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

mac7x
Master Guide

Re: Sante Fishing Banjo Giuliani Has passed .

Post by mac7x »

Surprised and saddened to find this. We were just smiling with Sante a few days ago at his "I was tall" thread. He was truly the salt of the earth. Go with God, Sante.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Just received this note:

I am Sante's sister. I came across the
Rod Forum and saw all the beautiful tributes to my brother. I knew his passion for pipes and rods. I just wanted to get a message out to someone in the forum that could share my thanks to all. I don't know if it's possible, but know it would be greatly appreciated.
My thanks to you and the forum.
Donna Giuliani

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip Node
Guide

Post by Chip Node »

Sante you will be missed! I too met the man at State College, PA over twenty years ago! I will never forget or forgive him for pulling out pandora's box. Now, I have a Dickerson 9016 from him that is the lightest 9016 I have had the pleasure to cast with a 7wf line and large dry flies. But it is the Gene Edwards 8'6" 3 piece 6wt that I will cherish most as one tip has a bit of a set from His love of fishing smallies. May you find peace and eternal happiness fishing in the next life too!

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Was very fortunate to meet Sante in 2006 when he flew over from the east coast to hook up with Greg Hall to drive up for the Metolius Rod Fair. His story is recollected on page 236 of Collecting. A very kind person with a vast knowledge of rods he generously shared not to mention the rods he let us cast from Pandoras box.
The PHY MM Perfectionist was sublime and he just nonchalantly put it together, lined it and said "try this one". I remember Greg laughingly complaining about the mess he made in the cabin kitchen making meatballs. The best of memories from all the get togethers. RIP Sante.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I just came across this post today. Don't know how I missed it. I'm stunned and taken back. No words can express this loss to our angling community. I wish him peace and his family my condolences.

slate river
Master Guide

Post by slate river »

A wonderful and kind man. Rest in peace Sante.
"God made dogs to steal our hearts and they do."

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

I only checked into this thread today and am saddened beyond reason for a man I have not met. I am not one for "virtue signalling", but it is a certainty that this feeling of greatfulness for a good man is not misplaced. As a Dutch-German, tears are not something shed idley, but I am moved and know that I owe thanks to this man.
Kean

swiper

Post by swiper »

Rest in peace sir.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

He will certainly be missed here. I was wondering if anyone could post a link to his obituary. As I recall, he had a very interesting life. I think he was involved with nuclear powered submarines while in the Navy and later as a consultant.

swiper

Post by swiper »

dave potts wrote:He will certainly be missed here. I was wondering if anyone could post a link to his obituary. As I recall, he had a very interesting life. I think he was involved with nuclear powered submarines while in the Navy and later as a consultant.
https://www.lucaseatonfuneralhome.com/n ... L-Giuliani

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Thanks swiper.

socal2

Post by socal2 »

He will be missed.

rgram
Guide

Post by rgram »

Sad to hear this. I didn't know Sante but my friends spoke highly of him.
That's good enough for me.
Rest peacefully friend.

Hap
Guide

Post by Hap »

Purchased my second Bamboo rod from Sante. A patient and kind man, who will surely be missed. Rest in peace Sante.

Whiteadder
Guide

Post by Whiteadder »

I too only came across this news today, and I'm not ashamed to say how much it upset me. I found Banjo's corner of the web before I joined the Forum and though, like so many, I never had the privilege of meeting him in person, but his knowledge and generosity in sharing that knowledge have been an example to which I can only aspire.

Thank you Sante

Rest now
Please visit Whiteadder's Virtual Fly Fishing Museum
All welcome!!

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Praying for his family .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

I've been traveling abroad without a computer and just returned to the US and saw this sad news. I always admired Sante's pragmatism and erudition--and his ability to quell a fire. A great loss for all of us.

bb

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

I saw this on the first day. I didn't have words, not sure I do now. But the news instantly recalled a memory.

One day in maybe 2005 or so, I got a PM from Sante.

"Do you feel that tapping?" was all it said. Classic banjo.

Curious, I followed up and he asked if I would see fit to take a turn as a Mod. Me? Who the hell was I to be a Mod on this Forum? I mean, even after 4 or 5 years fumbling around trying to figure out this bamboo thing--hell, this was banjo! If ever there was a case of a guy who forgot more than I would ever know, this was it. Still a little stunned, I was honored and agreed out of respect.

All told, the experience turned out to be a privilege to serve the Forum community and repaid itself many times over in knowledge and friendships. He had given me a gift that I didn't recognize at the time. I was never able to thank him enough--when I tried, he would simply put another rod in my hand.

Despite being a preacher's kid, I've never adhered to an organized religion. But I've held a wild trout, seen my kids born and stopped my car in the middle of a bridge, absolutely stunned to silence by a sunset. I'm hoping you'll see this, Sante--one last thank you. And I'm taking some solace that somewhere, somehow, something bigger and better than all of us is asking you, "Do you feel that tapping?"

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

My deepest condolences to family and friends

Old tyer

Post by Old tyer »

I haven't visited the board for quite a long time but I am very saddened to hear of Sante's passing. I, too met him at a gathering about 20 years ago at a campground near State College where he encouraged me to cast some of the beautiful rods he had brought. Again, long ago, at a small gathering at a camp on Kettle Creek above Ole Bull State Park where he tied up and gave me one of his deer hair mouse patterns. Such a kind and knowledgeable man will be sorely missed by all who had the good fortune to know him.

Return to “Forum Announcements”