New CAE Vise

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

NedZeppelin
Guide

New CAE Vise

Post by NedZeppelin »

After a long wait, my new CAE vise arrived and I opened it up this weekend. It is hard to shop this style of vise, it's not like they are in the stores or your local shop, but I admire the jaw style for its "open work space" area. Add to that the precision hand made craftsmanship of Charles Evans of CAE Engineering and I am liking it so far. It is impressive "out of the box." I ended up speaking to Charles to "get in line", he seems a busy man turning these out but he is pretty responsive to emails and actually delivers the product promptly after payment.

My photography skills are lacking but you can see the fine tip of the jaws in the shot of the first fly to be tied on it (actually, the first complete fly after a false start), a Waterhen Bloa tied on a Partridge Spider #14 hook with waterhen, YLI #261 (primrose) and muskrat dubbing.

So far so good. I will update with a midge tie since one of the aspects of the CAE that attracted me was its ability to handle tiny hooks.

Vise comes in a nice plastic case with tools, and a bobbin holder.

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New CAE Vise

Post by BrownBear »

That's a compelling look. I've been drawn to it for the clean lines and extra space around the jaws. If I was still tying teensy stuff I suspect I'd own one by now.

I was just going over my tying logs though, and last year the smallest flies I tied were #16, and only 3 dozen of those (Deer Hair Caddis for local use). From there it jumps to #6 though 3/0. Recent forays into tube flies, strip leeches and intruders have necessitated additions to the vise array, but big and clunky is generally fine for those.

FosterB
Sport

Post by FosterB »

I purchased one six months ago and I am very pleased with it. The only issue is Charlie of CAE is not very good as responding to emails so you will have to expect a good length of time from enquiry to order to delivery. I purchased his type 2 which is pretty much a exact copy of the LAW but with a articulated arm which turns the vise into a true rotary. I also ordered both the pedestal and the table clamp. I much prefer using the clamp. The jaws are different than the LAW. They are much finer and have small carbide inserts in the tips. It holds a great range of hook sizes very well. Mine cost me around $700 shipped from the UK which is a bargain compared to the no longer available LAW.

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

I agree as to the response time, but figure he is a one man band and these may just be a sort of hobby for him. I broke the ice by calling his mobile and having an actual conversation mostly about life, then we talked about the vise. It was funny I ordered and paid for a No. 1, made mention only that a No. 2 seemed also appealing, and he sent me a No. 2. He clearly has more orders than he can fill quickly. Agree around $700 to the states, about $100 of which is shipping! I posted about getting this vise on the UK Fly Fishing Forum and ignited a firestorm. There is some sort of controversy about "copying" the LAW which seems kind of silly to me, absent patent/intellectual property protection, since it is largely the appearance and functionality of the LAW vise that seems to be familiar, but I'd guess Mr. Renzetti would have something to say about a lot of vises incorporating his "V" stem to enable true rotary operations. And a moot point - if LAW made vises, maybe there'd be something there, but there is not. I assume the guys at HMH studied the intellectual property issue before producing their version. Tying up whole bunch of flies for the Frying Pan, including some experimental spider types for the pad duns and spinners, since they mostly spurn the fly shop versions. Maybe the "chaos" of a spider design will be the key.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I was wondering if you folks are still enjoying your CAE vices? I also was wondering how well they held the hook? Does not having the grooves hurt the holding power on larger hooks? Last question, how does it compare to the LAW? Thanks!

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Totally love mine, no issues with hook holding, and a complete pleasure to tie with. Can’t compare with a LAW, since you can’t really buy one, never saw one up close, and so no comment.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

IMHO! I think that the price for fly tying vises are going the way of the name brand graphite (Ugh) fly rods. I remember buying my HMH years ago for $75.00, and wondering if I was buying a vise, or someone's ego? All the vises on the market today are fine vises, but I think the prices for them are a little steep. I still tie flies with my $20.00 Thompson "A" vise from time to time. I don't think I'd be able to get into fly tying today at those costs!

The irony is that I wanted to tie my own flies and save money (hah!). I think I have more hooks and materials in my tying room than the local fly shop has in the store! You can call me tight with money if you want, but you can also hear me squeak when I walk!

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

Does anyone know whether Charles Evans is still producing his CAE vise? The website seems to be no longer functioning. I had just about convinced myself to take the plunge, but perhaps I’ve missed my chance.

Bret

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Give him a call. pM me and I’ll dig around for his number. Worked for me,

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”