Advice on selling bamboo casting rods...and MORE!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Advice on selling bamboo casting rods...and MORE!

Post by Flyman615 »

Fellow Caniacs:

Over the years I have accumulated a few Goodwin Granger and Wright & McGill Granger bamboo bait casting rods. They were made and sold from the 1920s into the 1950s and include various lengths, grades and designs.

My question is, do you know of any sources/sites that cater to classic bait casters where I might list these attractive rods for sale?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have! (If you'd rather, feel free to PM me.)

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 07/14/19 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Doug K
Master Guide

Re: Advice on selling bamboo casting rods?

Post by Doug K »

I've been adventuring down the baitcaster avenues recently.. but have not found any old baitcasting rod forums or sites as yet.

My sole baitcaster is a Heddon 200, surprisingly fun to fish.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=122985

not sure how to value your rods but I might be interested..

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I've been chasing Heddon bait casting rods for 20 years. Buying & selling. Had to end up spending thousands on just the original catalogs to get any information on them and create a research database for myself. And that's just Heddon rods. There's nothing out there for these basically ignored models. Nothing. I suggested creating a sub-forum here for bamboo bait casters, but that's another story...
Mark

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Hmm. I have two many piece sets of Heddon casting rods in desperate need of significant restoration efforts. I’ve been waiting to learn enough about them to feel comfortable starting the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

canerodscom wrote:Hmm. I have two many piece sets of Heddon casting rods in desperate need of significant restoration efforts. I’ve been waiting to learn enough about them to feel comfortable starting the work.

Feel free to PM me any time regarding Heddon bamboo bait casting rods. 20 years of research has allowed me to learn more than I ever wanted to know about them. I have every Heddon catalog listing from 1909 to 1956, which is a ton of info for identification and restoration purposes. Also, a lot of info on Shakespeare and South Bend bait rods.
Mark

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Scott,
You might want to check out this group. They often have bamboo bait casting rods at the shows.
http://www.nflcc.org/
Some members here also are members there.
Scott

I would also like to see a sub forum on casting/spinning rods.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Who can deny that bait rods from Goodwin Granger, Heddon, Landman, Varney, Divine and others are classics in their own right. So many wonderful rods that are not shared here on the forum. A rare Heddon with white pyralin Landman-style reel seat and Red Cedar fore grip, made only in 1924, is shown below. Just one example of hundreds of classic bait casters.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Mark. If I get a break and start work on these Heddon bait casters I will be in n touch.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Gorgeous rod Mark.
I've ended up with a few, Grangers, Heddons and a Penta, and fished them for SMB. Ive moved a couple at cost to interested fisherman but never tried advertising them as the collector market doesnt seem to exist. I would think the lure collectors would be interested but they don't seem to be

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

roycestearns wrote:Gorgeous rod Mark.
I've ended up with a few, Grangers, Heddons and a Penta, and fished them for SMB. Ive moved a couple at cost to interested fisherman but never tried advertising them as the collector market doesnt seem to exist. I would think the lure collectors would be interested but they don't seem to be
I would think eBay would still be the best venue to sell your rods. I've seen Grangers go for decent money on there, especially if they have original bags and tubes.
Mark

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

I also own several casting rods, use them mostly for casting cedar topwater baits and bass fishing. They're as useful today as they were when they were made. Seems to me I prefer the 6' rods over the shorter rods for actual fishing.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

WIHEXROD wrote:Scott,
You might want to check out this group. They often have bamboo bait casting rods at the shows.
http://www.nflcc.org/
Some members here also are members there.
Scott

I would also like to see a sub forum on casting/spinning rods.
Yes, I used to be a member of the NFLCC years ago. Not too many members in our part of the world and most of their shows are in the Great Lakes region as I recall. But thanks!!

I do agree, why not a sub-forum on 'other' split bamboo rods? Thanks for your input, guys!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I'm into the bait casters as well. Certainly the Heddons are worthy! I mean before the #35's there were Dowagiacs, eh? + for an 'Other' category..

Jay Edwards

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Beautiful Granger, Scott. Below, a nice early Landman, made for VL&A.
Image[url=

And a Varney Bros.

A 1933 Heddon "President-Expert"Image

I could spend the rest of the evening doing this, but the point is there are so many wonderful and important bait rods out there that could be shared in a sub-forum here.
Last edited by wrong66 on 07/14/19 11:10, edited 2 times in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Really nice bait casters wrong66!

Here's a similar Wright & McGill Granger Premier from the 1950s. The Premier high grade rods were less than 2% of Granger bamboo rod production overall.
Scott
Flyman615

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Very clean, high-grade example. Few of those ever come up for sale. In fact, this is the first I've seen. Thanks for sharing.
Mark

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

In the meantime, here's a 1917-1923 Divine.

dennis
Master Guide

Post by dennis »

My only bamboo casting rod - made by Heddon for Macy.
I believe it's never been used. How do you determine if it's light, medium or heavy action?
Oh - I also have a few faux bamboo finish Heddon casting rods.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

You have to measure the diameter of the male ferrule on the tip section. In 64ths of an inch. If you have a drill gage, that works fine. Most, especially trade rods like yours for R.H. Macy, were supplied in "Medium" action. But not all. Very nice rod.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

The prettiest of the Granger rods to many is the Favorite grade with full yellow intermediate wraps. Some of the higher grade Goodwin Granger bait casting rods came with two tips like this 5'6" Favorite sold by VL&A.
Scott Z.
Flyman615

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”