Advice on selling bamboo casting rods...and MORE!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Advice on selling bamboo casting rods?

Post by wrong66 »

That's also my favorite Granger casting rod. Here's a later Divine 4-tipper.
Last edited by wrong66 on 07/17/19 11:59, edited 3 times in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I'm sure not seeing much selling or even faintly, wanting to sell going on here! :lol Beautiful beautiful rods Gents!
I've thought about jumping into old school casting rods and baitcasters, but I know what will happen to my disposable retirement income. Just stick to modern for now - it is my favorite way to gear fish for bass, unless skipping under docks. Thanks for the great thread!

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

These are not my rods, but show the changes in early (1920s/30s) designs for Goodwin Granger casting rods.
Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Those are awesome. I've never seen those two earliest models before. Thanks, Scott. Here's a 1930-1931 Heddon No.25 "Golden Expert".

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

And something rarely seen. In 1929, Heddon and True Temper partnered to produce Heddon's first entry into the steel rod market. It consisted of a Heddon split bamboo butt section and a 24K Gold plated steel tip section. It was called the Heddon No.70 "Golden Rod". Sold it 16 years ago and have never seen another. This is the only remaining photo.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Really good stuff, Mark.

I wish my pal and Granger Guru, Scott Whitman, would chime in. He has some bait casters that are even older than the ones I've shown, including one that may have been owned by Goodwin Granger himself.

As with the Granger fly rods, the lower grade examples sold best and most. Here's a 1920s 5'6" Colorado Special (bottom) and a later 6'0" Special grade (top)-note the matching 'Special' reel, both rods made in the Goodwin Granger era (pre-WWII).
ImageImage

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 07/14/19 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Beautiful, Scott. I sure hope Scott W. does chime in. While I wait, here's another Heddon No.25 "Expert", from 1921-1922. Restored by the late Leo Eck many years ago.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Should have stopped to look at this thread earlier. What a nice group of under appreciated rods. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Here's another similar Landman, with black reel seat, made for Von Lengerke & Antoine, Chicago. Would look good with Scott's VL&A multiplier.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

And the last style Heddon No.25 "Expert", from 1925-1929.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thanks for posting these interesting pictures. I hadn't known about any of these rods.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 03/23/21 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Advice on selling bamboo casting rods...and MORE!

Post by wrong66 »

Here's a later Divine called the "Clark's Celebrated Bait Casting Rod", a rod produced by Divine and purchased and marketed by Fred Divine's old friend J.M. Clark to help keep the company above water.
ImageImage

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

If you guys keep doing this, you might spark a surge in casting rod prices! Kind of like Warren Buffet mentioning a favored stock. Beautiful rods, actually as nice or better than many fly rods...
it would actually be nice if they were in a separate thread of their own, like “Show your casting rods!”

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Webfly wrote:If you guys keep doing this, you might spark a surge in casting rod prices! Kind of like Warren Buffet mentioning a favored stock. Beautiful rods, actually as nice or better than many fly rods...
it would actually be nice if they were in a separate thread of their own, like “Show your casting rods!”
Thanks for your comments...I wasn't intending to have this turn into a thread about bamboo casting rods, but since it has become one, I'm glad it's appealing to some of our members.

I, for one, believe there's a lot of new and different information out there that Forumers might enjoy seeing and reading about. Thanks too, to Mark for sharing his impressive collection of bamboo bait casting rods. Simply outstanding!

And don't forget, when "tournament casting" competitions were popular in the US and elsewhere, there were always categories for bait/plug casters too! :)

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 07/18/19 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Love making and using bamboo baitcasting and spinning rods..there should be a dedicated section on this forum for them.

Malcolm

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

oddsnrods wrote:Love making and using bamboo baitcasting and spinning rods..there should be a dedicated section on this forum for them.

Malcolm

Yes I agree, love that Heddon Torpedo (I think)...and love that finish on the rod! Beautiful

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

These old bamboo bait casting rods have an appeal all their own. Like fly rods of the era, some are fancy...and some are not.

Here's one more 1930s 5'6" Granger Special with the sometimes used yellow wraps. Original tube and bag, caught in a time warp of sorts for us to enjoy.

Hope you do!

Scott
Flyman615

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Scott. I feel kinda guilty that I basically hijacked your original thread. Sorry about that. But if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy these wonderful Grangers. I'm wondering if the best place to sell them might not be eBay, but rather to me. Ha!

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Not at all, Mark...no hijack here! Glad to see your rods and, perhaps, tickle the fancy of some of our fellow Forumers. Thanks for contributing the photos of your excellent and diverse collection! Much appreciated.

And just perhaps this thread will lead to a needed expansion of topics on this site. Who knows?

As for the sale of my Granger casting rods...anyone who's seriously interested can drop me a PM anytime. ;)

Scott
Flyman615

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Great looking rods, thanks for posting
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”