Advice on selling bamboo casting rods...and MORE!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Marchonterry

Re: Advice on selling bamboo casting rods...and MORE!

Post by Marchonterry »

I realize I’m not participating in this initial post with any answer or advice on selling bamboo bait casting rods, but as I see what has been posted I wanted to post the casting rod I’ve recently purchased. It’s a Wright & McGill Granger Special split bamboo, and the condition appears to be nearly new, or unused. It’s a beautiful rod and I’m not sure I want to actually use it. I’d love to find out more about it...age, desirability, use ability, value range, etc. I haven’t found much on it other than the few similar rods shown in this post.
Terry

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

What a great thread ~ These rods are lovely.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I am interested in getting a bamboo bait casting rod, medium action, you guys have some nice ones, will be doing research, but if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I've seen Granger bamboo bait casting rods come up on the big auction site from time to time, and I've been intrigued by them. Living in Wisconsin, I've had as much experience fishing with bait casters as I have with fly rods...but never a bamboo one. Has anyone on here actually caught fish on a bamboo bait caster? If so, how does it compare to a "normal" graphite bait caster? Seems like there must be a reason that while bamboo fly rods are quite popular, bamboo bait casters have faded into oblivion.

Still, I would like to try one....

Jeff

LakesideAl
Sport

Post by LakesideAl »

Just picked up this 5 ft. one-piece bamboo rod scripted "Edwards DeLuxe" on one flat and "5 ft." on another. The rod measures exactly 60 inches long as described in script. The script appears to be a Gene Edwards make. I believe this shortie to be a circa 1940's-1950s baitcaster, perhaps from their Mt. Carmel era. No other markings on the rod or the reel seat. Came with a full length light brown canvas bag also with no markings. It has a metal finger trigger as part of the cork reel seat configuration with all metal components in excellent condition/working order, with 3 metal stripper guides up the length plus the tiptop.
Wondering if others agree that Gene was the maker given the script and, if so, is this a baitcaster. If by Gene, I'm guessing this was NOT made in any large numbers, so possibly just a one-off special order. I've never seen anything like this configuration before with any Edwards family rods.
So, just wondering...a weird novelty or something special?
Thanks for looking.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Here's a nice W&M Paramount I purchased from a forum member.
Also a W&M Catolog page

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Those Ambassadors are about as easy to get along with as any bait casters. The Lanleys do well too.

Jay Edwards

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Gene Edwards, yes. A 5' casting rod, yes. At 5' its probably has a heavier action than most longer casting rods. Measure the ferrule.

LakesideAl
Sport

Post by LakesideAl »

by oldschoolcane » 02/18/23 12:10
Gene Edwards, yes. A 5' casting rod, yes. At 5' its probably has a heavier action than most longer casting rods. Measure the ferrule.
Thanks for the post oldschoolcane -
Script screamed Gene Edwards to me as soon as I saw it.
Don't have a micrometer but what are you saying to measure here?...This is a one-piece 5 footer.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”