Stews

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Stews

Post by joaniebo »

For quite awhile, when I'd go camping with my fishing buddies, I'd make a beef stew. Then several years ago, I switched to making pork stew. Made the two stews pretty much the same, except I bought boneless pork chops and cut the chops into cubes.

Making either stew was pretty easy. Browned the meat in a large Dutch oven with olive oil and some sliced onions. After the meat was browned, I'd add a half bottle of Trader Joe's Merlot wine (the 3 Buck Chuck), a package of Lowry's Beef Stew seasoning and then boil the meat in the wine for at least a half to three quarters of an hour.

Would then add some red or Yukon gold potatoes, more sliced onions, sliced or baby carrots and then cover the veggies with water, then add the other half bottle of Merlot. Kept boiling the stew until the veggies got soft and then added a package of frozen baby peas, cooking everything for a few more minutes until the peas were cooked.

Sometimes added sliced zucchini or yellow squash toward the end and even put in diced yams / sweet potatoes in with the "normal" white potatoes. Just before the stew was served, would often take some rolls or bread, cover them with olive oil and Riley's All Purpose Seasoning and grill the rolls / bread.

Really great stews whether at home or camping.

Sometime did a variation using sliced chicken breast meat, browned and then boiled in white wine and chicken broth and whatever veggies were available. All good single pot, hot meals when camping !

cregb
Master Guide

Re: Stews

Post by cregb »

A quick one from my mom was a tomato-based stew using crabmeat (ideally) or chicken.

1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 lb. crab or chicken(chicken either pre-cooked and shredded or chopped)
3 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes (can’t remember if 14.5 oz)
1 tsp garlic salt
Salt and pepper to taste

Render bacon, remove most of bacon fat, sauté onions and peppers, then add the rest. A dash of Worcestershire couldn’t hurt, either.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Beer and Beef. This one always make my mouth water.............. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNPzy3aD0Jg
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

I've never met a stew I didn't like. It's the perfect food after a day in the field.
Vern

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

This is my favorite cold weather meal:

Sirloin roast cut into 1" cubes, season with S&P add a 1/2 diced onion,butter, and brown over high heat in an enameled cast dutch oven stirring frequently.
When browned add 1/4 cup flower and continue cooking to form a roux.
When the roux turns golden deglaze with 2 cups of beef stock.
Keep pan on high heat and add root veggies pre-cut into 1" cubes. I like 1 large Turnip, 1 Parsnip, 1 rutabaga, one golden beet, the other half of the onion cut in rings, and then potatoes to fill the volume of the pot. Add 2 bay leaves, and herbs to taste (thyme, sage and oregano for me thanks). Add more beef stock to the top of the veggies and cook on low for, well, for as long as you can take it! I usually put this in the oven at 200f for the day and when I arrive home cold and hungry from a day on the slopes just opening the door is sheer bliss.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

They all sound wonderful. Uh, when it gets below 90 degrees! :) I have tasted a number of the Beadster's stews and other outdoor kitchen treats. He's quite the cook. :)

Pat

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Beef and kidney ale stew
I prefer chuck steak for this one ,
Lightly dust the diced beef and lambs kidneys with flour before browning , then add your veggies my preference is carrots, onions , celery , mushrooms and turnip. ( heavy on the onions and carrots )
Fry for a further 5 or 6 minutes until the vegetables take on a little colour and soften slightly. Now add a bottle or two of your favourite ale or red wine if you prefer and enough beef stock to cover the meat and vegetables( roughly a 50/50 ratio . At this point I add a sprig of thyme, a couple of bay leaves, salt , and a little fresh ground white pepper.
Cover and cook in the oven or campfire for 3 hours or so .
Remove from heat and add a good handful of black pudding then return to a low heat for another 30 minutes or so , the Black pudding will ( melt) and thicken the stew .
Great with buttery mashed potatoes or simply a good hunk of fresh crusty bread and maybe some steamed greens .

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

kermit wrote:Beer and Beef. This one always make my mouth water.............. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNPzy3aD0Jg
Oh man, that skillet is hot - what with that Leidenfrost effect at 2:43, when the beer gets poured into the skillet...

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Love those videos with the stream side cooking. I cooked food over the campfire several times this summer and although the stream was nearby I chose to just use some water from home. Nothing tastes as good after a long hike as hot food cooked over a fire. I did not even bring my gas stove this summer, just a cast iron grate from an old bbq which makes that sudden shift of the coals less disastrous. Of course with no fire season I was not banned from having a fire so no need for the propane. I just love waking up, sparking a fire and making coffee as the world wakes up, in fact tomorrow I am going to make a stew for dinner and Sunday morning church will be a mountain meadow, campfire coffee followed by brookie fishing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Michael, I've been to that church many times. It's one of my favorites - especially with the campfire coffee. I don't currently have a favorite recipe for stew. I'm going to try out some of these! You guys are making me hungry! :)

Pat

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

stews like that are pretty awesome.

One interesting aspect of your process that differs from mine is the amount of liquid you add.
Do you simmer yours with no cover?

I only add about a cup, to a cup and a half, of Red Wine, or Guinness beer.
And simmer it covered. This yields plenty of "juice" - especially once the veggies cook-down.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Beef cut preference?
Kinda favor short ribs, myself.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

You know corlay I have found that all day in a dutch oven in MT stews dry down a bit, and I use plenty of roux for a thick gravy covering everything. But I hear you most folks seem to like stews that are more like a pot roast and I have absolutely nothing against it!
Able I think the sirloin is hard to beat if you have time to cook it...

BearBio
Sport

Post by BearBio »

Brown beef and onions in bacon grease (JUST enuff=not too much). A spoonful of diced garlic (about 2 cloves). Add celery, mushrooms and carrots (Did you know carrots were originally purple?). Add one medium can of tomato sauce. Simmer until meat is tender then add cubed potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste, a dash of Texas Pete's (or Tabasco). Simmer until potatoes are almost done.

Take Bisquick and mix with milk until a sticky dough is formed (about 1/3 more milk than for biscuits) Cook uncovered in rapidly boiling stew for 12 minutes, then covered for 12 minutes. Canned biscuits will do in a pinch (i.e. a hunting trip).

Or serve with hot sourdough bread or garlic bread.

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

One word
Bigos

Polish hunters stew. The closest I can find to the old bushas recipe in one from Allrecipes. Com

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

lamb makes good stew. Pork, especially good pork (not too lean). I'll use steak tips for a beef stew (better flavor to my mind).
Of course onions, carrots, celery, potatoes. Porcini mushrooms (reconstitute in hot water, save the liquid and put in the pot), vegetable stock for the liquid instead of just water.
Dutch oven on top to brown everything, then in a 250F to 300F oven for a few hours. Cornstarch slurry to thicken as desired.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ok, re read this thread and am inspired -- I have cast iron pot out in the garage, but rec'd an Instant pot as a gift...have used a coupla times, but not for chili or stew yet. Temp's in LA down to 70s, time for that winter food. Heh.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Flykuni3 wrote:
12/04/20 15:52
Ok, re read this thread and am inspired -- I have cast iron pot out in the garage, but rec'd an Instant pot as a gift...have used a coupla times, but not for chili or stew yet. Temp's in LA down to 70s, time for that winter food. Heh.
70's. Winter Food.

:rollin

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

This will sound weird, but I use unflavored gelatin in my beef stew. If you like your stew thicker than just broth but not quite like a gravy with a roux, some packets of unflavored gelatin in the cooking liquid really gives it a nice texture. Obviously too much work for the campfire, but around the house, it's great!

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

joaniebo wrote:
08/11/19 09:23
For quite awhile, when I'd go camping with my fishing buddies, I'd make a beef stew. Then several years ago, I switched to making pork stew. Made the two stews pretty much the same, except I bought boneless pork chops and cut the chops into cubes.

Making either stew was pretty easy. Browned the meat in a large Dutch oven with olive oil and some sliced onions. After the meat was browned, I'd add a half bottle of Trader Joe's Merlot wine (the 3 Buck Chuck), a package of Lowry's Beef Stew seasoning and then boil the meat in the wine for at least a half to three quarters of an hour.

Would then add some red or Yukon gold potatoes, more sliced onions, sliced or baby carrots and then cover the veggies with water, then add the other half bottle of Merlot. Kept boiling the stew until the veggies got soft and then added a package of frozen baby peas, cooking everything for a few more minutes until the peas were cooked.

Sometimes added sliced zucchini or yellow squash toward the end and even put in diced yams / sweet potatoes in with the "normal" white potatoes. Just before the stew was served, would often take some rolls or bread, cover them with olive oil and Riley's All Purpose Seasoning and grill the rolls / bread.

Really great stews whether at home or camping.

Sometime did a variation using sliced chicken breast meat, browned and then boiled in white wine and chicken broth and whatever veggies were available. All good single pot, hot meals when camping !

A bit late to the party but I do a Dutch Oven "roast" (usually a chuck roast, 7 bone if you can find it) much like this. The only differences being I use Onion Soup Mix/Dip, 1 cube of beef bullion, celery, cream of mushroom soup (2 cans), canned mushrooms, and during the last 30-40 min make Bisquick dumplings in the oven. Sometimes I'll add a touch of poultry seasoning to the Bisquick. Usually the total time to make is around 8 hours timed with occasional shots of Tequila. :D

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”