Stews

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

VanfromMaine
Guide

Re: Stews

Post by VanfromMaine »

Wild Turkey stew is a big hit at my deer camp

MNJoe
Sport

Post by MNJoe »

Recently made beef bourguignon a la Julia child to a happy family that can be made camping if cook does not require too much cooking wine. I love braised meat and wine. Did in a lodge cast iron pot which is what I'd use camping. Adaptable to camping

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Check out online recipes for Mississippi Pot Roast, it is a winner and a slow cooker standard. I’ve made it with both beef and pork, and either version rocks. I bought a DeLonghi slow cooker for it since you can sear on the stove first then place the pot in the slow cooker.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

It's about that time... something with squash in it...
I plan to do something on the White River in a pontoon overnight float soon...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Summer or winter, this stuff is wonderful! Summer is the best though because you can get fresh corn and good little potatoes.
https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/20 ... -boil.html

Or for a nice, warming chili:
https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/20 ... chili.html

Gary

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Going to load up the pontoon boat and make this streamside... maybe Wednesday...

Fisherman's Stew

About 3 lb whole freshwater fish
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 green bell peppers, roughly chopped
1 tomato, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons or more Hungarian paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

¼ cup (1⁄3 oz,10 g) chopped fresh Italian parsley
½ cup (4 oz, 125 g) sour cream (optional)
2 banana peppers, sliced (optional)
2 French baguette's

Gut and clean the fish, separating the fillets but reserving the heads and other scraps. Slice the fillets into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces, rinse, and refrigerate until ready to use. Add the scraps—heads, tails, bones, trimmings—to a Dutch oven or large pot. Add the onion, peppers, tomato, bay leaves, and paprika along, with 2 quarts (2 l) cold water, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes.

Strain the liquid into another pot through a fine-mesh sieve. Press on the solids to extract all the flavor, then discard. Add salt and pepper to taste. The broth should have a good kick from the paprika—feel free to add more if necessary.

Return the broth to a simmer, and add the reserved fillet pieces. Simmer gently, without stirring, for a few minutes—just enough to almost cook the fish through, since it will continue cooking off the heat. Add the parsley, stirring very gently so as not to break up the fish.

SERVING TIP: Transfer the fish pieces with a slotted spoon and divide among 4 bowls. Ladle the liquid into the bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream and a few slices of banana peppers, if using.

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”