Vintage Richard Wheatley Clip Boxes

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Vintage Richard Wheatley Clip Boxes

Post by Vintagestick »

Hello,

I decided to start a thread on vintage Richard Wheatley clip boxes similar to my Wheatley compartment box thread. Please help me by adding your photos and/or information on vintage Japanned, aluminum, wood and leather wallets with clips. Although the title says Wheatley, please feel free to add similar clip boxes from other great makers - Hardy, Allcocks, C. Farlow, and Mallochs just to name a few.

Here is my first addition - 1900 - 1920 black Japanned Richard Wheatley 238-clip tin box with xylonite (plastic) clip plates and center aluminum swing leaf. Large Richard Wheatley RW Lozenge logo located on one xylonite clip plate. No stampings on outside of box. The clips are a great design that holds very small flies tight.

The original center swing plates were also made of xylonite, but tended to warp from heat so Wheatley switched to aluminum. Clive from the Richard Wheatley Museum said, "...the xylonite swing leaf plates (Wheatley's description) tended to warp if they got warm and were not successful, therefore something else had to be found and this was it."

Please share your knowledge and show us your clip boxes.

-Rich

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Vintage Richard Wheatley Clip Boxes

Post by prairieschooner »

Nothing very fancy here; Wheatley Silmalloy swing leaf clip box. Date unknown; it came from a flea market in Colorado c. 1985. As you can see it's my catch-all box; little bit of everything in there...

Then there's this little box, loaded just like I found it (traded my brother-in-law a couple boxes of shotgun shells for it). It's marked S. Allcock & Co. Ltd., Redditch, Eng. 3-1/2" x 2-1/4" closed. If anyone knows an approximate date or other information I'd welcome it...

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=118037&hilit=Wheatley

An ultimate classic thread above.. but the more the merrier for certain.. I likes em!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

I'm also very fond of the small Wheatley clip boxes that I can put in my shirt pocket. I had mine engraved with my name.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

Here are a couple swing leaf boxes that are the same size, configuration, and capacity. Both have the same "square" style clips, but the swing leaf on the left is attached with rings rather than a hinge. My assumption has been that the box on the left is older, but maybe not. Can anyone help with the approximate age of these two? Thanks.
Lee

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

Praireschooner,

Great boxes. I too love the smaller "waistcoat" boxes.

The Allcocks boxes are so similar to Wheatley boxes, with the exception of their compartment boxes - and they have some similar characteristics- it makes one wonder if Wheatley built boxes for Allcocks or there was some patent issues or sharing of designs way back when. I have asked Clive about this. We do know that Wheatley fitted the inside guts of Neroda boxes for Hardy. They also badged Wheatley boxes for Hardy, but He indicates there is no historical reference/record that Wheatley built boxes for Allcocks. I have a few similar boxes to compare I'll post soon. Does anyone have any information or ref materials that may clear this up?

Keep those photos coming.

Thanks,

-Rich
Last edited by Vintagestick on 08/26/19 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

Here is a nice medium, 56-clip box that measures 3 1/2" x 4 3/4" x 1" and is labeled "Wallace W. Doak" from Doaktown N.B. Canada and stamped with the small RW Lozenge Made in England and early Silmalloy mark (1960-1970's) It is loaded with vintage doubles and single Atlantic Salmon Flies.

I just found a link to the W.W. Doak and Sons Ltd. Atlantic Fly Fishing Tackle shop that has been open for 70+ years at 331 Main St., Doaktown NB, Canada. And they still carry Wheatley clip boxes!

Has anyone visited this shop before?

-Rich

Last edited by Vintagestick on 08/26/19 17:16, edited 2 times in total.

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

Here is a unusual large 80-clip box that measures 3 1/2" x 6" x 1 1/2" and is marked with the large RW Lozenge Made in England logo (1928-1960). The swing leaf is connected by a hinge, not rings. Swing leafs on aluminum boxes using rings, not a hinge are early boxes likely from 1920 - 1928, give or take.

-Rich

Last edited by Vintagestick on 11/20/19 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

LeeB,

Beautiful boxes. Do you have photos of the RW Lozenge markings on your boxes. This would help indicate approximate age and when Wheatley used rings rather than the hinges for swing leafs.

Although I'm not sure I think rings came later. My father had a swing leaf Steelhead box that used rings and I believe he bought it new in the 80's. My brother currently has the box. I'll see how it's marked.

-Rich

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

I purchased this box from Lang’s several years ago. The box is made from steel with aluminum leaves riveted in. There are remnants of green paint but this could have been owner applied. Lang’s states that this box was owned by Datus Proper.

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

Reelytrout,

Stunning box! I believe Wheatley used black and brown Japanned finishes, but I recall reading somewhere that Hardy offered a green finish on a special box and it is possible Wheatley would have made it. My guess the box is likely 1915 - 1920's given it has aluminum plates. Are there any stamps on the ends? Stamps are hard to read on black Japanned boxes because the paint is thicker. Brown boxes are easier to see.

-Rich

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

This box does have a Wheatley logo stamp on it.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

The box on top has the rings holding the swing leaf, and the marking shown on the end is the only marking on the entire box. The box on the bottom, with a hinge holding the swing leaf, has the marking shown on the end, and the standard "Wheatley Silmalloy Metal" in a rectangle, on the back.

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

LeeB,

Nice! I stand corrected.

The box on top, as you suspected IS earlier and so may indicate rings were an earlier attachment for the swing leaf...but this seems odd since the Japanned boxes used hinges, not rings. This is a question for Clive at the R. Wheatley Museum.

I also need to get a photo of my father's box from my brother.

I understand that the large RW Lozenge without "Made in England" was one of the first logos stamped on the Wheatley boxes. That changed when the US required "Made in England" be stamped on items imported to the States. I have seen blue or black ink "made in England" rubber stamped on the inside of boxes and water or varnish decals used, but that was finally abandoned to meet US requirements.

The large Lozenge logo by itself is from the mid-20's. Large Lozenge and made in England is from 1928 - 1960's. Small Lozenge and made in England is from I believe 1960-70's.

You could send Clive a message asking about your boxes or if you want I could send one on your behalf. I'd really like to know the answer to this new question.

Thanks for sharing.

-Rich

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Here is my small 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" x1" Wheatley swing clip box, which fits nicely in a shirt pocket. Unlike Prairie's box the clips in this box are aligned vertically vs. horizontally. There are 51 clips on each side with larger spacing on the swinging plate. I believe that this is a modern box, but really have no idea.

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/30/21 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

Rich - if you already have a dialogue going with Clive, please do ask about the rings vs. hinges. I too would be curious to know more.
Lee

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

NewUtahCaneAngler,

Lovely waistcoat box.

My guess is your box is from the late 70's-80's. Small RW Lozenge with made in England and square Silmalloy logo on back are the indicators. Not sure if the location of the Silmalloy closer to the box center indicates 80's or not. Most of the earliest Silmalloy logos were stamped closer to the bottom edge.

By the way, very cool C.F.O. I still have my CFO I bought while in high school, although it has a riveted post, not a screw post like yours. Very nice.

-Rich

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

Today I have another clip box from my collection. This was posted on the compartment box thread earlier, but it belongs here. It's a small 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 1/2" waistcoat box with 51 clips (21 clips on the left and 30 clips on the right). It is stamped with the large RW Lozenge stamped on one end and Made in England stamped on the inside lip or fillet. This box is likely from the 1920'-1930's and filled with small vintage wet flies.

Based on the photos it looks almost identical to prairieschooner's 51-clip box, but is marked R. Wheatley rather than S. Allcock. Another example of how similar these boxes seem to be and why I ask if there was some form of collaboration between the two companies.

-Rich

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

Vintagestick wrote:Here is a nice medium, 56-clip box that measures 3 1/2" x 4 3/4" x 1" and is labeled "Wallace W. Doak" from Doaktown N.B. Canada and stamped with the small RW Lozenge Made in England and early Silmalloy mark (1960-1970's) It is loaded with vintage doubles and single Atlantic Salmon Flies.

I just found a link to the W.W. Doak and Sons Ltd. Atlantic Fly Fishing Tackle shop that has been open for 70+ years at 331 Main St., Doaktown NB, Canada. And they still carry Wheatley clip boxes!

Has anyone visited this shop before?

-Rich

Any Atlantic salmon fisherman who has ever fished the Miramichi has probably visited Doak's shop more than a few times. A very nice, well stocked shop with a serious fly selection. Their hand tied leaders are the best, at least in my opinion. Have a coffee at the Tim Horton's across the street and then stroll over to Doak's. A Miramichi tradition--at least mine.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

LeeB,

You have a very nice early box sir.

I sent Clive a question concerning rings v. hinges. Here is his answer -

"The early aluminium boxes have the ring fastenings, the later ones had the pin hinge. Most of the ring boxes are dated before 1928 when the Large Made in England was introduced. The bottom box in your last photograph is the small Made in England."

Now, I need to get some photos of my father's ring box.

-Rich

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”