International Fly Rods & Equipment

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Re: "Foreign" Fly Rods & Equipment

Post by Flyfishbill »

I think it would be interesting to read about rods made by makers from other countries. The word ‘foreign’ can mean a country not your own, or can mean ‘different’. If we create a new section, I suggest ‘International’
FFB

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I would think "non-U.S. Makers", or something similar. If you live in the U.K., are American rods considered "International"?

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Post by Flyfishbill »

wrong66 - yes. UK would see us as international.

joep
Master Guide

Re: International Fly Rods & Equipment

Post by joep »

I don't see much conversation on here about foreign makers although there is some. For someone like me it would be interesting as i know very little about foreign makers. I think starting a forum for it would be great, and it would probably get busier over time. I don't see how it would be a negative at all.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

From those who are proponents of this idea, what is the added value over the way we do it now, i.e. "foreign" rods are discussed along with all of the US makers? I've thought about it a tiny bit and just don't see the benefit. Is it awareness of the fact per se that bamboo rods are made and have been made for decades outside the US? OK, maybe if someone has absolutely no clue and wouldn't even think to use the search function to find out. Pretty small number of members for which to make this change. Is it more efficient to locate them? Perhaps. Stuffing them all into one new board would make it slightly easier to find non-US makers, but then that value is negated by having them all mixed together again...unless you want to have a board for every country. That could be a long list. What other benefits are there? So rodmakers from those countries can more easily find each other perhaps? I'm not sure about that.

It's true the majority of posts concern US makers (not having actually counted or basing this claim on any data other than personal experience). Leaving aside why that's the case, it's not suggested in the forum name, there are no rules or statements or even traditions that I'm aware of which discourage the discussion of non-US made rods or which encourage discussion of only US-made rods. And for the members here who live outside the US, who seem to have as much privilege to be members here as Americans do, the American rods are the foreign ones. So, not sure I get the distinction of the label, even though I may have used the phrase myself in the past.

.02 fwiw

Cheers everyone.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I have a 7'2" 2 piece made in France, by Bernard Rousseau (spelling) that I wouldn't sell for any amount, nor trade for anything else! Every once in a while a rod maker will come up with the perfect casting rod. I think this rod is one of those!

Carpe Diem does not mean "fish of the day!"

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

For Brother Moore.....

There exists, in the US, a sense of xenophobia (fear/distrust of things foreign) to varying degrees. Many of us have noted this in the world of bamboo rods, with some exceptions. This "sub-topic" is an exercise in trying to mitigate that situation, by hopefully providing a more level "playing field" for the subject.

This is especially visible in the realm of pricing on European rods. While this tends to make some of us quite happy, as we can readily obtain bargains, it does tend to diminish many folks opinion of these fine tools.

To a degree, many of the rods from "overseas" follow the parabolic trend, which understandably is not everyone's "cup of tea". But many, especially the Hardy offerings are not in this vein. I have found the workmanship on these rods to be uniformly excellent and the cane to be of exceptionally high quality.

It's interesting to note that when cast by some of the finest US makers and aficionados at gatherings such as the Colorado, Southern, and Townsend gatherings they meet with unqualified praise. Yes, there are probably some "dogs" out there, but who's not to say that that the US producers put out their "bow-wows" as well.

Need I say more???

Ralph

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

I've owned an 8 and a 7 foot Scottie rod and they were good fishing rods, with the 7 footer for 5 wt. being my favorite. I would love to find a Constable rod for sale; I wish I had bought one when they were being made.
Last edited by wb4tjh on 03/25/20 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

The Constable rods are one of the exceptional rod families from the UK, along with the Wilson International that many of us find to be fantastic fishing tools... if you like parabolic action. They range in size from the 5'6" Dart on up. The Wilson International is one of my particular favorites, a longer rod that feels like a 7 ft or 7 ft 6 in for a 5wt that can handle about anything you'd want to catch up to 10 pounds or better. There were never many brought over to the US, but if you can find one I would recommend that you grab it.

Ralph

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

Yes, Constable of Bromley rods are excellent (value for money).
I fish the Wallop Brook series in 6' 9'', 7' 6'' and 8' 2''.

NEKexpat
Guide

Post by NEKexpat »

I recently picked up a very lightly used Empress, which is another very sweet rod.

I'm trying to dial in the right line weight and would be curious what others prefer.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Could you people minimize the chatter until I've snagged a couple of Constable rods, please! ;)

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

I would certainly concur with one member, there is not much interest in foreign-made cane fly rods, at least vintage.
I'm not being condescending; but from experience, most people are disenchanted with vintage English or German cane.
There were a few like Hardy and Constable or from Canada that tried to keep up with better methods, but.
If you offered me a choice between an EC Powell and a Sharps or a Payne as opposed to a Pezon the choice would be crystal clear. If I wanted to solidly fish a rod on the water weekly or seasonal and not to collect I would choose a Heddon or a Granger over a Constable or Octopus every time.

A person would have to be seriously uninformed or desperate to collect post-WWII Japanese rods only because of price.
More recently; There are a number of fine cane rod builders from Australia and Japan and are worth fishing & collecting.

The term "lumbering" is not flatteringly describing a bamboo fly rod, however, one of the funniest things I ever saw advertised was a manufacture of graphite fly rods claiming they're offering a new graphite rod with a bamboo action? Duh!

Nowadays, lots of people collecting fiberglass or boron rods instead of bamboo.
In my workshop on the wall I have; top, a hardwood fly rod, then a bamboo fly rod, below is a solid core glass fly, then hollow core fiberglass, a tubular steel fly rod, to a Cortland Carbon rod and lastly a boron fly rod.
Below them is a rectangle sign indicating the evolution of man. It was difficult to cast a fly before we stood erect.

Lanny
Sport

Post by Lanny »

I own two Sharpe's. An Aberdeen 6 weight and a Featherweight 5 weight. Both have a relatively fast action. The Featherweight is a nice little rod. And I always have my eyes open for Sharpe's Seventy-Nine.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

I have a Tom Moran built Partridge of Redditch 8’ 5 wt. I also have an Evening Rise 7’3” 5 wt. Both rods are finely crafted and delightful to cast.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

There are some fine Canadian rod makers. Here is a Ted Knott Ontario Classic 7 ft. 4 wt. and a Gaspe Special 9 ft. 8 wt. Ted was a friend of Paul Young and was influenced by his work. He was known as one of our finest rod makers and a Knott Ontario Classic is displayed in the Canadian Museum of Civilization.

Morten

Post by Morten »

I think a topic for International rods, would be great. Depending on your personal interests, their have been plenty of debates here already about non US rods, I have personally been getting a lot of positive feedback when asking for advice on Sharps, P&M etc.

Outside of the US, there are a massive interest in bamboo, or splitcane as we call it ;). If you follow bamboo groups on FB, you will notice a much more balanced debate, where the scene is mixed up with builders from all over the world. That said, I am active here, mainly because I am one of the few Europeans who are interested in US production rods, mainly Granger and Philipson. This passion did over time, drive me far west, where I swung my Granger 4286 over native cutties and rainbows. This to get a tactile experience for the fantastic history of our sport :)

The passion of fly fishing and inspiration has been traveling forth and back over the Atlantic for decades, and though the US has been the motor developing the sport in the prewar period, Europe stroke back in the 90'th developing Scandi casting with two handed rods, as well as modern nymphing techniques. Not to mention all the modern fly patterns developed over here.

But the Bamboo scene are generally conservative, and maybe the lack of interests in European bamboo rods/builders in the US, could have something to do with language barriers for some, as well as the lack of exposure they get in the US. Getting to the bottom line, Europeans are great craftsmen, and many of their fly rods are just as good as their cars, and IMO it would be great for the the bamboo scene as a whole, if their rods got, just a little more exposure in the US through Classicflyrodforum.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I think a European sub would be a good idea.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

wisefoolmike

Re: International Fly Rods & Equipment Help Identifying Model of Ogden Smiths of London

Post by wisefoolmike »

Need help identifying
Ogden Smiths of London Fly Rod
Estate find today. 4 section 2 tip rod with a bonus 3rd section..... overall length 6'4-3/4" to 6' 7-1/4"
Khaki five section canvas carry bag with silk green label.
Butt section has only Ogden Smiths London engraved on butt cap. Black windings, black intermediary wraps, ring style hook keeper. Overall length 20 13/16" ferrule size 20/64" looks like round bamboo
Lower middle section same type of wrapping, and furreles, red agate line stripper, english style snake guides. Overall length 20 3/8" ferrule size 16/64" looks like round bamboo
Upper middle section same type of wrappings, ferrules and snake guides. Overall length 20 1/4" ferrule size 10/64" hexagonal bamboo
Tip #1 red agate tip, same ferrule style as other sections. Wrapping similar to other sections but intermediate wrappings every inch or so. Overall length 18" ferrule size 6/64" hexagonal bamboo
Tip #2 red agate tip, same as tip 1 with repair/splice wrap about 3" from bottom. Overall length 20 1/4" ferrule size 6/64" hexagonal bamboo
Bonus upper middle section, different style ferrules, male ferrule is not capped, you can see the bamboo, black wrappings at snake guides but no intermediate wrappings. Overall length 20" ferrule size 10/64". Looks like round bamboo. Last three pics are of this section.
I could not find much out online about Ogden Smiths rods, and nothing this short. Also picked up a 9' 3 section 1 tip Ogden Smith but one battle at a time.
Any help greatly appreciated.

"Evil is impotent and has no power but that which we let it extort from us." John Galt

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

So, Ralph.

I already know all this. All 3 of the people who read what I post know this after 20 years of promoting non-US made rods (and not a few reels) on this forum.

So, I ask again...what is the actual value of doing this over the way we have been doing it, i.e. throwing everyone in the mix and treating them as individuals who happen to live in countries outside the US?

But nevermind. As my teenager's shirt says, "That's a horrible idea...what time?" Are you guys going to do this or what?

Let's get this show on the road so we can start populating good info and filling in gaps. Or?

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”