"Historic" Thread

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: "Historic" Thread

Post by Gnome »

And the rod in the "Coffin case" is another example of a rod with repair work done to it that has fooled some into believing the rod is the age of the ferrules (Replaced with ferrules that are close to 50 years younger than the rest of the rod and its hardware). The slide bands are sterling silver with some of the finest seam work I have ever seen on a rod. 2 rods from The Mary K collection that are puzzlers for sure, good stuff you two (Royce and Rob)!! And a good Sunday morning to all.

Edit; The coffin rod is marked but the marks are almost gone and this will take some serious detective work to nail it down, the identifiable letters are;
a partial J. followed by a mostly intact H, there are more undecipherable marks in a half-circle below the above marks. I have a gut feeling this rod may have been made by Joab Hapgood of Boston, Yep another potential gunsmith made rod.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

So curious, this is from an 1800's Forest & Stream. Would you be able to identify these types of tips on a rod? Guessing they were likely scraped round?

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Rob,

The difference between a center enamel rod and an enamel out rod is striking. The nodes are not the same and the appearance is different enough that when you see a rod Like Krider or a Cook with center enamel you know you are looking at something different. Working my way through the pre-civil war rods in the GTRS and the English school of split cane making did the majority of their tips with center enamel and not enamel out.

Jeff

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

and as the DVDs for the GTRS documentary get to their new homes, It will give folks some really cool stuff to study and discuss like rod #1 with the mortised bridles and the wee tiny rings, I will always wonder what were the tips like on that rod??? And that rod is without a doubt pre-1800. The wander along the banks of time has started and the DVDs will ship on the 15th of each month until the entire display is documented, Thanks to those who have subscribed to this journey and I really appreciate it. So much knowledge and this is the best way to share the GTRS to minimize travel wear to the display. It may not travel more than once or twice more depending on the circumstances.
Jeff

nunc
Guide

Post by nunc »

wow … remind me to never suggest adding a topic area …

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Best for me to Join Jerry and Jeff and the others who no longer post here. the loss of historic knowledge here is epic.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

This place has gone to crap - what shame.
Last edited by Pentalux on 12/10/19 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I love american firearms but for sporting arms of the late 1800's the Brits take it by a mile

Lord Ripon shot the heck out of this one and it is still a stunning piece of functional sporting art!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Firearms ... Gunsmiths that were rodmakers would be appropriate. Of course a number of the historians/collectors no longer post here because of the adversarial garbage.

It would be great to discuss these:

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Sadly most of the people who own Leonard firearms and fowling pieces by other rod makers no longer post here due to people like nunc and others who seem to take joy out of ruining a thread and essentially being a bully.

Royce, those are magnificent. Any chance of close up pics of the blurbs under each gun? An eventual thread on rodmakers guns could be cool - what are we looking at here?? Thank you for making some chicken salad out of what looked to be a chicken sh...

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

snorider wrote:I love american firearms but for sporting arms of the late 1800's the Brits take it by a mile

Lord Ripon shot the heck out of this one and it is still a stunning piece of functional sporting art!
hello, snowbird, . . .ripon "shorely" had a purdy gun -

regards, jim w

. . . and that is french circassian walnut. all forests were leveled during wwi to make rifle stocks. nevermore . . . says the raven.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Bowish that is a snap action Purdey hammer gun, stocked to the "fences" with full coverage rose and scroll engraving, damascus barrels, It don't get much better....
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Damascus barrels, load up some blackpowder shells and take it hunting. I think in general, very few bamboo fly fishers really do appreciate the history behind these old rods. A majority probably could care less how these rods came to be , antique anything anymore is simply underappreciated. A sign of the times I guess.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Pentalux - the owner of this fantastic display watches the forum, hopefully he'll start a thread on these American makers.

Jerry allowed me to post his presentation here viewtopic.php?f=67&t=126402

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

oldschoolcane wrote:Damascus barrels, load up some blackpowder shells and take it hunting. I think in general, very few bamboo fly fishers really do appreciate the history behind these old rods. A majority probably could care less how these rods came to be , antique anything anymore is simply underappreciated. A sign of the times I guess.
I disagree with you on the need for black powder with Damascus barrels many thousand were nitro proof tested after the change to smokeless powder. I shoot an 1860’s 16ga double converted to breech loader by the maker. I would never fire black powder shells with it, might dirty the gold wash on the early rebounding lock work.

I also think there are a lot of bamboo fishers that care about rod making history. I know I do.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

snorider, maybe you should re-read my post? Nowhere did I say blackpowder shotshells were required. I simply said that's the way I prefer to shoot with my Damascus barreled shotguns. You can also use low pressure shotgun shells but then its all up to the shooter and their preferences. Enjoy your high end double however you prefer to use it, I could really care less.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

roycestearns wrote:Pentalux - the owner of this fantastic display watches the forum, hopefully he'll start a thread on these American makers.

Jerry allowed me to post his presentation here viewtopic.php?f=67&t=126402
Thanks Royce and thanks especially to Jerry for graceously allowing the posting of his most excellent display for all to see, expecting nothing in return I should think.
Kudos

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Wow shame on me for trying to make a living at fly fishing!! Wonder if that tact is taken with others who do make their living at flyfishing Like Gary Borger or Jack Dennis or Joan Wulf or Per Brandin?? the list is endless.
Another successful troll from new jersey. And You Bet I am charging for my DVDs too much time and effort to do it and then give it away to trolls!!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

oldcreaky wrote:Damascus barrels, load up some blackpowder shells.
This is you telling me to load up some black powder shells
oldschoolcane wrote:snorider, maybe you should re-read my post?... Enjoy your high end double however you prefer to use it, I could really care less.
This is you being a curmudgeon on the internet, what happened to civility?

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

snorider wrote:
oldcreaky wrote:Damascus barrels, load up some blackpowder shells.
This is you telling me to load up some black powder shells
oldschoolcane wrote:snorider, maybe you should re-read my post?... Enjoy your high end double however you prefer to use it, I could really care less.
This is you being a curmudgeon on the internet, what happened to civility?
snowrider, i suspect you know there was twist steel and there was quality damascus iron and steel used in firearm barrels. quality damascus barrels were considered to be superior to fluid steel barrels WHEN in proper condition as they tended to expand slightly instead of splitting which would cause disastrous loss of body parts. problems arose when twist and damascus were becoming thought interchangeable by too many gunners; and too many damascus barrels were being burst by different causes, rust (not always discoverable) at any of the hundreds of welds being one of the most pernicious. damascus barrels IN PROOF are usually good to fire.
happy shooting, jim w

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”