"Historic" Thread

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Re: "Historic" Thread

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Sounds like a good idea. If a Pic shows up, just ignore it! I'm trying to figure out how to upload one!

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Hey, I did it! Wow, I've been trying to upload pics since I started on the forum a few years ago!

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

BTW! If you haven't figured the pic out, it is a brown trout that I am catching and releasing. I took the shot with my Go-Pro camera that is affixed to the bill of a baseball style cap! I'll try to get the trout to hold still longer for the next one!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

3 posts that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread nice!

Wrong category for sure and has nothing to do with the history of the sport. known as a sidetrack and against the rules
Last edited by Gnome on 08/06/20 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Clearly "historic" posts for the Duckmannm. Just not about you. Oh my!! :eek

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

clearly a sidetrack which is against the rules which steeliefool choose's to ignore (should have been posted in ephemera as a new thread or written stories and photographs). the post's 3 of them are about photos and has nothing at all to do with the history of the sport. And then steeliefools comments are simply another attempt at trolling by a man who has stalked me here for years. Nuff said.

See post #s 75 and 76 in this thread.
Last edited by Gnome on 08/06/20 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

czkid wrote:
07/03/20 17:22
Something Really Historic....

Our Man Jeff, otherwise known as "The Gnome" has gone to great lengths to fulfill a gap in things "historical" with his series of DVDs on his "Traveling Museum" collection. Jeff has forwarded me a few of the DVDs to comment on since he and I have been conversing back and forth over the years. Both Basye and I have reviewed these with great interest (Yes... females do find these interesting) and I thought this an appropriate spot to comment.

Let me be frank, Jeff, "The Gnome", is a horse of a different color... so to speak. Possibly slightly eccentric, opinionated, and crotchety.... but likewise talented and willing to explore different venues. Maybe not everyone's "cup of tea", but Jeff is Jeff and that's plain OK. I own one of his rods... different, and I love it, we've got some of his trinkets, and they are wonderful, and now come these DVDs. If you take the time to absorb them, they are going to give you an education and the answer to many a question you maybe never thought to ask. You will certainly become more appreciative of the rods you own, because you will now have a sense of what went into them, and maybe why it went in. There is information there that's certainly not readily available in your everyday reading!

The information is presented in an orderly and readily consumable manner, with great photography and a simple straightforward dialog that is understandable to all. My bride loved the bit about early female rod makers, and the why's and wherefores' of some of the innovations. As a bit of an artist she could appreciate the reasons and methodologies of the decoration and function of the various enhancements over the years. As a fisherwoman she appreciates the improvements in "fishability" that these resulted in.

Let's hope that the reception that these DVDs receive encourages Jeff to continue the series up into some of the more "modern" houses.

Ralph
Titelines wrote:
12/13/19 14:46

Well, lets take a look at the forum rules:

"Solicitation and Spamming - Do not use this forum as a vehicle to advertise items for sale or commercial services. Prohibited advertising includes soft-sell techniques of offering promotions or sponsoring contests with associated commercial value. For exceptions to this ban, please see the Classifieds Forum. Do not post identical posts in different forums . If you wish to announce a new product offering, please use the Rod and Reel Makers Forum. Authors announcing a new book should use the Book Talk Forum."

So nope, the only two places you can mention something like that are either the Classifieds Forum, or the Rod and Reel Makers forum, which is where you initially posted your DVD's.

I'm sure the there are plenty of rodmakers or reel smith's who would like to advertise their wares in other forums, but they play by the rules and don't do it.

You've been a member of this forum for a long enough time to know better.

Mark

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

funny how some hate others for trying to add to the collective knowledge and also make a meager living while doing it. pretty damned sad!

No wonder the forum is but a pale shadow of itself due to the loss of valued members because of trolling! Do a search on my posts and see how negative every post by steeliefool and short tip have been to me over the last 5-10 years, sick and tired of it for sure.

back on track;

The evolution of the fly rod has had and does have some serious stumbling blocks and history has shown that changes only come with some extreme kicking and screaming over long periods of time before change is accepted, one example is the dogged devotion to antiquated components that hold back the evolution and performance and durability of the tool. people lament how few new recruits there are and yet they continue to drive them away with their dogged devotion to a percieved view of what a fishing / fly rod is. if we stay stuck in the 1950's after our generation is gone there will be very few left to carry on at this rate IMHO

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Jeff, please. Let's look at a few facts.

1) My post above has none of my own words, it is merely quotes from the two administrators of our forum. Although you are the subject of the quotes, it actually has nothing to do with you. I know you like being the center of attention, but in this case, you ain't it.

2) The idea that I "troll" you is ludicrous. I call out rudeness, intolerance and inaccuracy. I care little about space age guides or other "innovations". I wouldn't comment at all on your posts if it weren't for your poor treatment of others. If you seek to eliminate negativity and the driving away of others, I suggest you start at home.

Anything else you wish to discuss, send me a PM.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

so its okay for you to call out inaccuracies and heaven forbid I do the same. nuff said

the two post that short tip qouted are out of context historically. titelines post should be on top due to its posting date, Ralphs post (07/03/20 23:22) was the most recent and should follow Marks post (12/13/19 20:46) to be historically accurate. Just trying to keep things historically accurate with this edit.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”