Hawes and who?

History of the H. W. Hawes Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Hawes Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Hawes and who?

Post by roycestearns »

H.L. Leonard dies in 1907, and H W Hawes moves to Canterbury Connecticut and makes rods.
In 1911 this ad appears.

Who is E S Leonard?

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hawes and who?

Post by cwfly »

Elizabeth ("Lizzie") Leonard, Hiram Leonard's widow and Hiram Hawes's mother-in-law. Mrs. Leonard died on Sunday, September 3, 1916 in the family house in Canterbury where she lived with Hiram Hawes, Cora Leonard Hawes and their two children.
Her funeral was held in Canterbury. The choir sang Abide With Me and Lead, Kindly Light. Her remains were removed to Central Valley for burial next to her late husband under the headstone with canoe on the top.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Charlie, thanks much ... amazing!

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Charlie, do you think she was wrapping or finishing rods? Obviously she had something to do with the business.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Royce,
I am pretty certain (she was 80 when she died) she was not doing any manual labor. Of course, her best friend who was at her funeral in Canterbury wrapped rods in Bangor.
Charlie

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Here she is:

...and a bit of her poetry, published before her death.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Little pieces of the puzzle, or the texture that makes Hawes portrait so real. Thanks Charlie for always filling in the blank spots.

Her best friend was? how many of the mrs Hawes, Leonard, Edwards, Thomas s wrapped or finished rods.

Does make you wonder what these ladies would be thinking now, as all this is dug up.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Royce,
Mrs. Leonard's dear friend from the days in Bangor until her death was Annie Pitcher. Annie, who had moved to Easthampton, Mass. visited frequently with Mrs. Leonard in Canterbury, came to her funeral in Canterbury and if memory serves me was remembered in her Will.
I know that Fred Thomas' wife Sara wrapped rods together with her "dear friend" Jennie Edwards, Billy Edwards' first wife.

Eretansal

Post by Eretansal »

Whoa, time sure flies, doesn't it? So, back in the day, H.L. Leonard kicks the bucket in 1907, and H.W. Hawes sets up shop in Canterbury, Connecticut, becoming the rod-making champ. Fast forward to 1911, and bam! This ad pops up, leaving everyone scratching their heads, wondering, "Who the heck is E.S. Leonard?" Well, my friend, let me enlighten you! E.S. Leonard is none other than Edward Sewall Leonard—a fishing legend in his own right! Now, let's talk about "butterfly blue granite." Picture this: it's a swanky rock with stunning blue hues, often used for fancy countertops.

Return to “H. W. Hawes Rods”