Removing the plastic up locking reel seat

History of the South Bend Rod Co. Feel free to discuss South Bend Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Will C

Removing the plastic up locking reel seat

Post by Will C »

Hello to all who will listen: I recently picked up my second South Bend fly rod a # 59, 9’. I’m a novice to bamboo rods, have always fished graphite. I don’t know much about South Bend bamboo other than the a few generalities I’ve learned here on this web site about dating South Bend rod decals. Well it turns out and I’m sure everyone here knew this but I and that would be there are two different lengths of cork grips on South Bend fly rods!

The first SB rod I picked up was a # 47 with red and gold wraps. I thought that rod was a block of lead. That # 47 is tip heavy to me, well the # 59 with a 6-inch cork grip would be even more tip heavy than the # 47. That 6-inch grip changes the placement of your hand back an inch making the rod even more tip heavy. I picked up the # 59 to fish so I want to find out …

How do you remove the plastic reel seat without damage to the bamboo?

Thank you, Will C

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Removing the plastic up locking reel seat

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I used a heat gun to remove mine after I removed the pins using pliers. The seat was non salvageable, but I didn't care as I wanted it gone!

Both those rods are long bass weight rods. A South Bend Finalist 1144, 1155 or other heavy reel will be needed to comfortably balance them. Why do you wish to remove the reel seat?

BTW, the 47 is wrapped red with white tipping (over which the varnish has yellowed), just like the 346 dry fly version.

Will C

Post by Will C »

Aloha: I want to save the reel seat I take off because I have saved all the old guides I removed so someday when I go to sell this rod the next person who owns it will be able to put it back to the original look if they wanted to because I have the original sock, tube, that the rod came in, and even the plastic bag that the rod came sealed in before being placed in the tube, it was at the bottom of the tube.

After I came across an advert page on this web site about a number 47 fly rod that said Bass and Steelhead action I knew these double-digit South Bend rods were what I should be using.
I’m not too familiar with the South Bend Finalist 1144 and 1155 however, I did pick up a 1495 ½ and a 1498 Pflueger Medalist. Would the SB 1144 or 1155 be the equivalent?

I’m redoing the whole rod so I want to remove the reel seat because by replacing it with a down locking one I’ll be able to change the balance point further back on the rod. If I would have known more about SB reel seats I simply would have waited tell I came across a 24, 47, or 59 with a down locking real seat. I don’t care for those little up locking reel seats. I’ll just chalk it up as learning the hard way.

Will C

Post by Will C »

So same topic new revised question: How do I remove the plastic reel seat on a South Bend 59 without damage to the reel seat?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Will C wrote:So same topic new revised question: How do I remove the plastic reel seat on a South Bend 59 without damage to the reel seat?
I believe that the 1155 is about the same - perhaps heavier than- the 1498

Will C

Post by Will C »

Thanks for the info on the reels NewUtahCaneAngler, I appreciate it. I'll remove the pins and try boiling water like I have with graphite rods. I just wanted to find out if I was going to damage the bamboo as I have no real experience working on bamboo fly rods. Thanks again

Will C

Post by Will C »

You'll never know unless you try. I wanted to know if could hurt the bamboo in any way buy using heat to remove the plastic reel seat. Not wanting to use a heat gun on the plastic I thought I would just rap with sandwich bag and make water proof the reel seat and let it set in really hot water (recently boiling) for a few minutes and try pulling it off. I took the pin off (red arrow) and just pulled and it just came off. No glue, no mess, no heat ... There might be glue on yours or not, the lesson here is to pull the pin on your "Lite-Lock" reel seat and pull. You'll never know unless you try.

Return to “South Bend Rod Co.”