It is currently 03/28/20 16:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Field & Stream
PostPosted: 03/23/20 12:36 • # 21 
Bamboo Fanatic

My old pal, the late Gordon Wickstrom ("Notes from an Old Fly Book", "Late in an Anglers Life"), would lament the change in outdoor journalism (as well as what was wrong with the "new" generation of fly anglers) at the drop of a hat. Like many of us here, I grew up with F&S. Somewhere around here is a box full of photos of English setters clipped from that magazine that my mother saved for me (I found it again at her passing)...they were always destined to become an important part of my life. And like Ed Pirie, Corey Ford was an early hero of mine. I don't believe I have an heroes among the current generation of outdoor journalists.

Gary

PostPosted: 03/25/20 13:03 • # 22 
Bamboo Fanatic

This thread just "compelled" me to grab my well-used copy of The Best of Corey Ford off the shelf an start reading again. Funny, I found myself laughing out loud several times already. Next'll be You Can Always Tell a Fisherman, I suppose. Where are these writers now that we really need them?

Eric

A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

PostPosted: 03/25/20 14:11 • # 23 
Bamboo Fanatic

Eric Peper wrote:
This thread just "compelled" me to grab my well-used copy of The Best of Corey Ford off the shelf an start reading again. Funny, I found myself laughing out loud several times already. Next'll be You Can Always Tell a Fisherman, I suppose. Where are these writers now that we really need them?

Eric

And, don't forget the line drawings. I know you don't, Eric! Minutes of the Lower Forty, Uncle Perk's Jug and Fisherman are all illustrated by Walter Dower - same gent who did the drawings in both of Ruarks' Old Man and the Boy books. They are more than just mere drawings. They really set the whole tone for the books. I tell interested parties to skip the reprints and track down the originals with the Dower drawings. Copies that smell like pipe tobacco and dogs are just fine. Love the cover drawings on the Minutes of the Lower Forty. Reminds me of a country store/smokeroom/b.s. parlor I used to listen to the old guys go on at when I was a kid.

PostPosted: 03/26/20 15:07 • # 24 
Bamboo Fanatic

Walter Dower also lent his marvelously minimalist illustrations to all of the old "Tap's Tips" column in the magazine. That said, the illustrations in The Best of Corey Ford that were done by Lorence Bjorklund gave us a wonderful view of how the members of The Lower Forty Shooting, Angling and Inside Straight Club looked -- or perhaps 'should have looked.' Great stuff there.

Eric

A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

PostPosted: 03/26/20 17:40 • # 25 
Bamboo Fanatic

The word in the publishing world is that when the liquor companies and cigarette manufacturers stopped advertising (partly for regulatory reasons) in those barbershop mags like Field & Stream, Outdoor Life and Sports Afield, the only mainstay major advertisers left were the pickup truck makers - not enough to sustain employing many high quality writers & artists. This was even before the move to online advertising.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply